DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Noise while Accelerating

21K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  thomasgf 
#1 ·
I hear a strange rattling noise only when I accelerate in drive. This is my first HEMI, so I wasn't sure if it was a normal "HEMI" sound. It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from, but I would guess either engine, transmission, or exhaust. It does it every time I drive, and it does it when my RPM's are higher. Does anyone experience this or know what I'm referring to?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You have a HEMI... its just all the power being unleashed! But in all seriousness I have an interior plastic rattle when accelerating and/or at higher revs. It seems like there is a sweet spot in the RPM where it does it and then it stops. I also have a S&B cold air intake which made it worse. More air=more power especially when the temperature drops.

#3 ·
I have the same thing at higher RPMs. I have no clue what it is but I am assuming it is just a resonance. I'd just keep an ear on it and if it gets worse take it in.

#4 ·
I have interior rattles but I also have an exhaust leak type sound when accelerating, not sure if it is an exhaust leak, the infamous dodge cracked manifold or just normal noise, the dealer will be looming at it when I take my truck there soon.

#5 ·
I have a rattle/buzzing/screech sound on my '14, also had it on my '13. It's 2500RPM+, louder as the revs increase, and loudest during shifts.

I found on another forum, people were having the same problem. What someone found, was about the clamp where the downpipes meet the exhaust, there is a little metal hook/bracket thing (looks like it was only used for assembly). Once that was bent up out of the way, the rattle was gone.

I've yet to do it on mine, just been too lazy to put it on the hoist.

#6 ·
deathwarden5 - I had the exact same problem with my exhaust and took it the dealer 3 times, each time they tried replacing parts on the exhaust and didn't solve the problem until a mechanic finally noticed that (metal hook you mentioned), it was just to close to the exhaust pipe and at high rpms it would vibrate and rub on the exhaust. Its a simple fix once you know were that noise is coming from.

#9 ·
Ever since my truck had about 25k on it the thing has had this odd little rattle/resonance (sounds like exhaust) if it operates at 1600 rpms under light acceleration. It will make the noise as it passes the rpm if you accelerate a bit more briskly but after a certain throttle input point I think it passes the rpm too quickly to produce the symptom. It's a very hard noise to pinpoint because its one of those things when you sit in various parts of the cab it makes it seem as if the position of which the noise seems to originate changes. It sounds very much like a loose catalyst in a converter but I can't reproduce any type of noise in the exhaust system. I really hope it ends up being the cat so it will be covered over the 8/80 federal emissions warranty.

#13 ·
More info please :smileup:. The noise at 1600 rpm in my truck sounds like exhaust. I found a rattle at the forward clamp via a rubber mallet. I adjusted slightly and it seemed to have stopped the rattle with the mallet while under the truck but the noise while driving is still present.

Drives me bat shit crazy.

#16 ·
I'm the worst person to talk about truck mechanics, as any time I try to fix something I usually make things worse. So to explain what they did to fix it, I can't. I printed off this thread and gave it to the service technician. After the service he said the problem was the described exhaust hook/clamp issue in this thread. He said there's even a Technical Service Bulletin regarding this issue. I didn't ask for any details as he would be speaking a foreign language to me. If you can't find it yourself I would recommend taking this thread to your dealer, and they should be able to fix it.

#18 ·
Had my 1500 into the dealer for another issue. While it was on the lift both the tech and I checked over the exhaust system. No hooks. My truck was built in June so maybe the hook is only on trucks built earlier (just guessing).

Still have the engine vibration at 1800 - 2000 RPMs. The techs can't figure out what is causing it. Frustrating!

#19 ·
Do any of you guys have a pic of where this hook/clamp is? I am not able to look at my truck right now, but I have the same sound on mine. Thanks!

#20 ·
took mine to the dealership, they told me first that they tightened the right rear bolt on my side step. I said ok and didn't make off the lot befor I heard the same rattle, I took a service manager for a ride/ we both heard the rattle, he then take the tecnitian for a ride and then I was told its normal.....its drive line torque. yea F U im not that dumb, and I left

#21 · (Edited)
Bump. Called my dealer and asked if there was a TSB for this and he said he couldn't find one on it. I explained what was going on and he said he doesn't recall any trucks in lately with this issue. I got under there and looked, but couldn't see anything myself. Any of you guys have any new info on this? Greg, any luck with getting some further info from the dealer for us? Noise is driving me nuts

#23 · (Edited)
If you only knew how much I appreciate you posting that!!! This was the cause of my rattle and is the only thing I didn't like about my truck. Now its gone!!!!!! Rep points for you!

[/URL]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.