DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Considering an S&B CAI

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  RamHemi5.7 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes, OMG.. she's thinking of an 'unnecessary mod'! :158:

I have been running a K&N drop in since 1 month after purchase and haven't had any issues. I am simply intrigued with what I hear when others talk about the added air into the engine with CAIs. It sounds like a good thing and seems like a straight forward switch/install from the instructions I've found.

So I have a few questions...

I have heard about many options available for CAIs and the S&B, for some reason, is on the top of my list. I started digging deep and extended my research parameters today and found something..

What is the difference between the S&B Cotton filter kit and the S&B Dry filter kit?

The S&B's have an option to cap and block the end of the intake that goes to the wheel well? Is this something I would do or not? Why would you want to reduce the air intake.. after all, isn't that the whole point?

Also, is the S&B a good choice for my Ram? Would a Vararam be better? :4-dontknow: I just don't know. I'm leaning on you more technically minded out there to help me through this!

Thanks! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
There are lots of threads on the forum debating all the differences between the available CAI's. IMO S&B and Vararam are the only two considerable options for a Hemi if you are going to change it.

The S&B will give you very few gains over the set up you're running now. You literally won't notice any difference. But it will look a lot nicer under the hood and that can definitely be considered a reason to install one.
The Vararam is a bit different IMO (and some people will argue otherwise) but I think you will see more gains from it under highway driving or higher speeds because of it's ram air design. FastNugly for example has told me he gained about 4mpg with his Vararam on the highway. I could also see it giving the most power/torque because of that. But that's a controversial thing to test since the truck has to be moving at highway speed to really be able to measure the power or torque you are getting from it.... you can't really dyno it.

The difference between a cotton filter and dry filter is simply the serviceability of it. A cotton (or oiled filter) can be cleaned, re-oiled and reused. A dry filter cannot. On a naturally aspirated engine I'd recommend running an oiled filter because you will gain more life out of it by being able to clean it. I however would choose to run a dry filter because I have a turbo'd engine. The turbo would suck the oil out of an oiled filter and gum it up.

Overall either CAI is a great choice. Both will look great under the hood and will give you small performance and sound gains.

#3 ·
I run a dry filter S&B intake and love it. I know how everyone says you won't notice anything yada yada yada. But it being my first mod I did actually notice small improvements over the stock intake I had in the truck.. Nothing jaw dropping but I did have like 20-30 KM more per tank when I ran it from full to running on hopes and dreams. It also gave a slight more of a hop off the line but nothing to brag about. I love it for the reason that I can go offroad with it and mud and can put a plug in the extra intake tube to prevent shit from bouncing up inside. That is a thing that kept me away from the Vararam. The quality of the S&B is amazing, and it looks real awesome too.

#6 ·
brandonjansen - Thanks for the informational reply! I've thumbed through other threads on this topic but created this thread because I mainly needed to know the difference between the two types. Which you have answered! :)

I run a dry filter S&B intake and love it. I know how everyone says you won't notice anything yada yada yada. But it being my first mod I did actually notice small improvements over the stock intake I had in the truck.. Nothing jaw dropping but I did have like 20-30 KM more per tank when I ran it from full to running on hopes and dreams. It also gave a slight more of a hop off the line but nothing to brag about. I love it for the reason that I can go offroad with it and mud and can put a plug in the extra intake tube to prevent shit from bouncing up inside. That is a thing that kept me away from the Vararam. The quality of the S&B is amazing, and it looks real awesome too.
Thanks for sharing your first hand experiences and findings. I hadn't thought that the plug would be used to keep debris out.. just air. Good to know. The Vararam allows debris in? And yes, I've seen these installed and they look nice. I'm just trying to figure out if my Ram would be better off with one or without one. I hear varying reports of affects on mileage, sound, performance, etc. but nothing has really struck me hard enough to think I actually need to make this change. Also, I'm not running a CTD - does my 1500 really need more air? If it is good for my Ram, then I will seriously consider a purchase.. if not, then I will remain stock (it does work after all).

The S&B bung fits in the additional hole in the bottom of the housing which the factory housing does not have. Alternately, you can add the S&B scoop in that bottom hole to cram even more air in :smiley_thumbs_up:

I've installed a few CAIs on various vehicles in my day, and the S&B is right at the top as far as build quality & fitment.
And what is the benefit of more air in my 1500? Good to hear the build quality is on par. Thanks for posting!

Im very pleased with my S&B and if i had to spend the money again it wouldnt even be a question, the build quality is fantastic and like audio1der mentioned the scoop option is great i have it on mine and it really does complete the air setup baring you arent into mudding.
Yet another good report on quality, thanks for that!

I'm not into mudding normally.. have yet to find anywhere to go locally.. and even then, I would probably hesitate long enough for the sun to go down. LOL! I like my truck sparkily. :D

#4 ·
The S&B bung fits in the additional hole in the bottom of the housing which the factory housing does not have. Alternately, you can add the S&B scoop in that bottom hole to cram even more air in :smiley_thumbs_up:

I've installed a few CAIs on various vehicles in my day, and the S&B is right at the top as far as build quality & fitment.

#5 ·
Im very pleased with my S&B and if i had to spend the money again it wouldnt even be a question, the build quality is fantastic and like audio1der mentioned the scoop option is great i have it on mine and it really does complete the air setup baring you arent into mudding.

#7 ·
Less restriction in any way will be good for your truck. It means the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard to suck air in. So really the more air you can get into it the better. Volume and velocity are the two things you're looking for. The S&B will give you enough volume (especially if you get the optional scoop) and it will also have more velocity over the stock set up because of the smooth intake pipe. The Vararam will also give you enough volume and should give you more velocity once you're moving because of the Ram air design.

I believe either would is better for your truck in one way or another. You just have to be able to justify the cost of it. Do you really want to spend $300+ on an intake for maybe a 5hp gain if you're lucky? Or is the look and sound of it worth the money to you? That's really what you need to answer.

#9 ·
I'm not into mudding normally.. have yet to find anywhere to go locally.. and even then, I would probably hesitate long enough for the sun to go down. LOL! I like my truck sparkily. :D
I completely agree with brandon on this one, when the only mod i had on was the S&B there really wasnt a huge gain that you could feel, but the way it opens up and it does pull a little through the rpm range makes me believe that it is good for the truck. it all comes down to what you want to do with your money

Im on the same page as you it breaks my heart every time i have to take my girl out across the field :LOL:

#8 ·
just bought the s&b cai few weeks ago but every time i wanna go out to put the dang thing on its raining :( hopefully il have it on soon and then il give ya my review on it as well. we do have diff trucks tho but should work the same way

#10 · (Edited)
First mod I put on my truck was the Volant CAI. I regretted that decision and I ended up selling it and going to a drop in K&N. The sound was beautiful...at wide open throttle...but other than that it didn't seem to do much. The factory air box aint all that bad.

#11 ·
If you do go S&B, I'd recommend using locktite on the frame bolt that mounts from the bottom up. Plus, use rubber washers on both sides of the metal washer. I was recently chasing a nasty interior rattle -- which I thought was up in my dash. Turns out that nasty bolt was loose, and the washer was rattling like a baby rattle when rpms reached mid-high. I had to pull the friggen fender liner again to tighten it up.

I have the dry kit (bought it used). I really don't get the "disposible" dry filter concept. Why not a reusable, performance dry filter like every other name on the block?! That's my only complaint.

#18 ·
I have done probably 17,000KM on my dry filter and it still doesn't look bad.. But I think I may have shortened its life with me messing around in fields and dust and such. I plan to swap it with some life left to my oil filter ordered so that I can use it as a back up when cleaning.

#17 ·
I went through this debate with myself too and went with the S&B with the cold air scoop. First off, every time I pop the hood in front of my buds they're like DAMN!!! In my opinion you cannot get a sharper looking intake and be able to keep all the stock plastics under the hood...which I wanted. I did not see any difference in MPGs. Truck definitely got a much nicer tone, and helped the throttle response and mid power band a little. I have the Diablo tuner so I set a gauge for Intake Temp...it does what it's meant to do, intake temp definitely went down from stock. Since I am sucking very little air from under the hood, my intake temp runs roughly 5-10 degrees warmer than outside air temp. All I know is they say cooler air is better for your engine. As far as performance the biggest increases I ever saw was when I did CAI on my turbo cars, now that was eye opening lol! :SHOCKED: Winter was a great time of year with a turbo car haha! But the S&B gets my vote :smileup:

#20 ·
I installed the S&B on my 2013 and I absolutely think it made a difference. It seems to pull a touch better on the highway when I mash the go pedal. Throttle response, imo seemed just a hair better as well. They gains were slight, but they were there and were noticeable. I say go for it.

I also upgraded to a Moes 87mm ported throttle body, and that of course made a difference in throttle response. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.