DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

#248 ·
Thanks to everyone who has tested or researched this issue, I must conclude however the following: If you are a racer, or if your competing in NASCAR, the every degree of temp may become important... However, for the majority of us who drive there Trucks everyday, in all kinds of weather, and under lot of varying conditions ie: off road, snow, towing etc... I doubt that the difference between let's say 95 or 110 degrees, would make a significant difference in our Trucks performance... Underhood temps, and anything that travels thru or resides there will get warm to hot.. Moving air will almost always be cooler than stagnet air... But intake tubes, boxes, throttle body's, intake manifolds etc will all get hot once the engine has reached operating temp....and the air in contact with any of those parts will also gain heat... I know everyone wants as much benifit from there performance dollar as possible, but, open or closed, plastic or metal, I doubt really makes any significant difference... It's far more about restricted air intake flow, than just temp... A larger less restrictive filter and a larger and smoother air flow path is the real goal in CAI systems...Any temp reduction is an added little bonus...and if one system is 8-10 degrees hotter or colder, you will never know the difference.... Unless, like I said, your totally into racing only

#249 ·
Good post. Sounds like i am on the right track with my CAI setup. :smileup:
A larger less restrictive filter and a larger and smoother air flow path is the real goal in CAI systems...Any temp reduction is an added little bonus...and if one system is 8-10 degrees hotter or colder, you will never know the difference.... Unless, like I said, your totally into racing only

G
#250 ·
I agree with the out side air temp making a big difference in my MPG, I have also noticed with it being 115 this week i cant even get close to 15mpg im lucky to get 13mpg. My AFE CAI does give my truck a quicker rev. when i give it gas.

#251 ·
Wow! What a great thread. Thanks to all who posted great info. I guess at this point I will save my money and keep my oem box with my K&N replacement filter. If someone comes up with a replacement oem TB tube then I would possibly be interested in that or if Volant comes out with the ram air piece for the Gen 4. Thanks again All!:smileup:

#252 ·
I picked up a new Volant on ebay just yesterday morning for $315
local shops wanted over $600 (in Canada), so I couldn't say no :D

I really like what my Airaid intake has done for me,
but a 100% sealed box definitely has some appeal.
Volant has also announced an optional Ram Air lower tube to be released November.

That sounds like a winning combo to me.

#254 ·
Volant has also announced an optional Ram Air lower tube to be released November.
Did not know about the lower tube coming out soon. Will definitely keep an eye out for that. Thanks for the heads up BRH.

#257 ·
Just another opinion on my part. Beware the bottom feed ram air tube. As long as you don't play off road or in anything that could get into the tube, you're fine. Otherwise, UH OH!!!!!!!!. :D

#258 ·
Pretty long sticky to read but finally finished all 26 pages. Still up in the air about which CAI to get but leaning towards volant or air-raid at the moment. Didnt see many posts about mpg increase as that is a key factor for me, I dont care the truck gets crap mileage (11-13mpgs city atm) but if im spending some $$ id like an extra 1mpg at least. If I did the volant with a custom ram air (I dont have foglights so I can mount to the passenger hole) and incorporated a superchips gas flashpaq tuner would I get some good results? I also need the tuner for speedo calibration but am wearing about the tranny going out as people complain about with the predator. Just wondering as I am holding off until I can get exactly what I need.

#259 ·
Pretty long sticky to read but finally finished all 26 pages. Still up in the air about which CAI to get but leaning towards volant or air-raid at the moment. Didnt see many posts about mpg increase as that is a key factor for me, I dont care the truck gets crap mileage (11-13mpgs city atm) but if im spending some $$ id like an extra 1mpg at least. If I did the volant with a custom ram air (I dont have foglights so I can mount to the passenger hole) and incorporated a superchips gas flashpaq tuner would I get some good results? I also need the tuner for speedo calibration but am wearing about the tranny going out as people complain about with the predator. Just wondering as I am holding off until I can get exactly what I need.
With an intake and tuner you should easily gain 1 mpg, maybe even 2 or so

#260 ·
Figured id let people know they have volant CAI's on ebay for the 3rd gens for about 260$. Im probably just going to go drop in k&n and might be picking up a bully dog locally for a good price. If not that will prob get the volant just to hang onto until next summer.

G
#261 ·
My mpg got a lot worse with a Superchip tuner and AFE CAI, they make my truck touchy on the gas pedal causing me to use more gas to get my truck moving, I also carry about 500lbs a day in it for work. So I went from the 15-18mpg range to the 12-16mpg range. But like I once heard "friends don't let friends drive stock"......

#262 ·
My mpg got a lot worse with a Superchip tuner and AFE CAI, they make my truck touchy on the gas pedal causing me to use more gas to get my truck moving, I also carry about 500lbs a day in it for work. So I went from the 15-18mpg range to the 12-16mpg range. But like I once heard "friends don't let friends drive stock"......
That's strange....wonder if you were just giving it more pedal enjoying the more power? I definitely get at a minimum 1mpg better with my superchips on 91 or 93 tune. I'd say more like 2 and MAYBE even 3 better, but 3 might be a stretch. I was running the 91 tune because I was getting some pinging with 93 and a load, but went back to the 93 tune and as long as I don't have any weight in the truck it's fine....not really a noticeable difference over the 91 tune though.

#263 ·
I will admit I do have a lead foot at times but honestly my main trip to work is at 4am so I am very gentle with the truck then as im halfway asleep still. Also was wondering wouldnt it be better to run an 89 tune instead of the 91 as if you use 91 even if you get better mpg it doesnt matter as you pay more for the higher octane. I have never used anything less than 91 but already putting 400 miles on my truck in the first 3 days has made me think a 89 tune would be best and a good 91 for when its a nice day out and I want to burn 80$ or so. Also I ended up getting the k&n drop in filter and will most likely modify the intake tube to remove the ridges and see how that works. Didnt really notice a difference yet minus my bank account being down 55$.

#264 ·
I will admit I do have a lead foot at times but honestly my main trip to work is at 4am so I am very gentle with the truck then as im halfway asleep still. Also was wondering wouldnt it be better to run an 89 tune instead of the 91 as if you use 91 even if you get better mpg it doesnt matter as you pay more for the higher octane. I have never used anything less than 91 but already putting 400 miles on my truck in the first 3 days has made me think a 89 tune would be best and a good 91 for when its a nice day out and I want to burn 80$ or so. Also I ended up getting the k&n drop in filter and will most likely modify the intake tube to remove the ridges and see how that works. Didnt really notice a difference yet minus my bank account being down 55$.
Well I found that whether I run 87 with stock tune, or 93 with 93 performance tune, the cost/mile basically evens out, I get better mpg with 93 but pay more. The benefit is the added power. I think with your hemi you are supposed to run 89 even stock right? The 93 performance usually gives the best mpg, but like you said you pay more. I think the only way to beat the cost/mile of the performance tune is to possibly run the mileage tunes, but I never even tried this.

#265 ·
Quick question on a new CAI. Do I HAVE to disconnect the battery for the computer to re-program the air flow, or willl the computer re-program on it's own? I really don't want to reset everything on the radio, so if I don't have to disconnect the battery, I won't. Thanks

#267 ·
Great, thanks Snrusnak. It is on the truck for delivery and will be installed after 10 pm tonite when I get home from work. By the way, nice mod thread I read yesterday on your truck!!

#269 ·
K&N...I was gonna play around a little with some teasers, but now ya know. Got my y-pipe yesterday, and the Magnaflow and K&N are on the truck for delivery today. Pics to follow on a mod thread, but exhaust won't be til next week.

#274 ·
Just curious as to why none of you have tried to manufacture working hood scoops into your cia.
It's just a lot of work. My friend has an RT and we talked about trying to fiberglass something to fit his hood scoops but it would take a long time, and likely cost a few hundred bucks by the time we bought everything needed. The only way I know to do it would be using the "lost mold" technique where you make a mold out of foam, then fiberglass it, then use acetone or similar to dissolve the foam. It would probably take weeks for me to do something like this working a few hours each day. I think most people are waiting/hoping someone comes out and markets one. I believe they have one for the challenger....likely will have one for the ram at some point as well.

#275 ·
[B said:
BlackRamHemi[/B];606660]I picked up a new Volant on ebay just yesterday morning for $315 local shops wanted over $600 (in Canada), so I couldn't say no :D
I really like what my Airaid intake has done for me, but a 100% sealed box definitely has some appeal. Volant has also announced an optional Ram Air lower tube to be released November.

That sounds like a winning combo to me.

The optional RAM Air, is that the below the fender one I've seen? I can't wait, I got mine ready for delivery on Wednesday, putting her in on Friday with a new Y pipe and Magnaflow 18. I think I need to make a proper mod's thread, just don't let the wife see it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.