DODGE RAM FORUM banner

bilstein 5100 not adjustable?

895 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  hemitrx4 
#1 ·
I just got my truck back from a shop having bilstein 5100 adjustable struts put on. I had put the snap ring where I wanted it, in the top slot to level it and the mechanic told me he had to move it to the bottom because he couldn`t get the spring to compress enough to get it on in the upper setting. Makes no sense to me. He says the strut is fully decompressed out of the box. I`m thinking of just taking them off myself and buying spring compressors and trying to set them myself.

#4 ·
I could tell he knew nothing about these struts, he tries to tell me that the top slot would lift the front about 4 inches based on the space between the top and bottom slot. He said he could get me spacers for the top and I`m thinking right so I`m supposed to get spacers for leveling struts. He must think I was born yesterday when clearly he was.

#6 ·
The spring compressor he used is the floor mounted type where its like a big jaw with the threaded rod halfway between the pivot point and the end with the big handle to turn on top. He said he got it as tight as he could. I`m gonna try a set of the ones with the threaded rod with the hook at each end and an air wrench if I need it. One bonus is that I don`t need to take it apart, just compress the spring and move the clip up. Luckily he took longer to do the headers and struts and didn`t have time to align my lights and wheels since now that doesn`t need to be done until I lift it.

#7 ·
Just make sure and be careful with that type spring compressor...they work ok, but are dangerous..also chances are is that you will have to disassemble your strut as I don't think you will be able to compress the spring enough to get the spring seat moved up with it on the strut. Although it's only one bolt at the top to get the spring off. Anyway, good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.