DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear Passenger Blinker not working?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bills Ram 
#1 ·
Hi, I think I've tried everything. My 1990 Ram, rear passenger blinker doesn't blink. New blubs more than one. Even replaced light socket. The thing is with a test light there is power to the socket, the test light blinks. Now I have a trailer connector on the truck so I unplug the trailer wires and there is blinking power with the test light. Plug it together and test the trailer 4 prong looking for the blinker and it's not there. I go back to the blub take it out and test it and there the test light shows it has power. Leaving the blub out I go back to the trailer connector and there is power showing, than I try something, I put the blub in the light socket and test the trailer connector and no power. Take the blub out and there is power at the trailer connector. I'm thinking it is low voltage to that blinker, would I be right?? But ware do I look?? Thanks

#2 ·
Make sure the 4 pin connector is grounded correctly (the odd pin) to the body. Make sure the trailer is grounded the same way (same pin on plug other end should be white). If no luck still you may have to run a ground from the truck to the trailer. You can try a temp from the truck frame to the trailer frame with a pair of jumper cables with a good contact and see what happens.

#3 ·
Take a meter and check the ground side of the light plug on the truck. If no continuity trace out where it is losing the ground or run a frame to plug new ground wire. Old 7 pin trailer wire plugs can also be a source of problems due to internal corrosion and arcing. ( had it happen on a Jeep Grand Cherokee)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.