DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Fuel Tank Upgrade

13K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  HalnasLT1 
#1 ·
Ok folks. I've come to appreciate my husband's work truck (F150) for a handful of reasons.. the utmost being its ability to travel approx 650 miles on one tank of fuel.

I'm green with envy.

At best, my Ram can get 450 per fill up (and even that much is a rarity).
  • Is it possible to upgrade from my current 26gal tank to the 32gal tank?

• I don't know part numbers for looking up prices.. what does the larger tank cost?

• What other parts would I need to buy?

• How difficult is this swap? Could my hubby and I do it? Or would it require a visit to a shop?
I've done some searching here on the forum. All I've been able to find is mainly complaints about the lack of baffling in the larger tank and issues with a fuel slap. I'm willing to deal with this slap problem (as it seems it is not very constant and only occurs at certain fuel levels).

I simply want the ability to drive from my house in Utah to my folks in Wyoming without the requirement of a fuel stop halfway in between. The range is what I'm after. Pure and simple.

So, with that said, is this a feasible swap both mechanically and financially?

Thanks for any input!

See less See more
#2 ·
Been there done this before.

The good...

It can be done. The 26 and 32 are direct swaps.

The bad...

If you try to get a tank new it will cost a ton of money. I personally got lucky and found one at a salvage yard for $100.

Honestly you don't want to get carried away. I spent about $200 in all because I let the dealer install the tank.

#6 ·
No idea how I've allowed this thread to slip through the cracks. :4-dontknow:

I am still very much interested in doing this mod but just one problem with what you suggest, Doug...

I have no clue how to find or work with a salvage yard. Is this along the lines of a pick and pull (term my dad used to use)? I agree that this route (as well as any other) would be much cheaper than buying new from the dealer.. I just don't know if there are any other options available to me in Po Dunk, Utah.

#3 ·
gas tank swap

Hi ..... Can you give us a little more info.

What else did you have to change? The filler hose, emission hose/lines and the fuel module ( pump/ level indicator)?????

Will the 26g fuel module work in the 32 g tank or did you just change the module ( if it is available separate?

I have the tank already, but the dealer is not sure if the same fuel module can be used......:doh:

THX

#4 ·
Nothing else was changed except the tank.

Was an easy and direct swap when I did it.

Hi ..... Can you give us a little more info.

What else did you have to change? The filler hose, emission hose/lines and the fuel module ( pump/ level indicator)?????

Will the 26g fuel module work in the 32 g tank or did you just change the module ( if it is available separate?

I have the tank already, but the dealer is not sure if the same fuel module can be used......:doh:

THX

#5 ·
Hi Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to install it in a 2011, hope that doesn't make a difference.
The parts guy can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so I've been on my own pretty much trying to figure this out. My first Dodge, had GM for 35 years, trying to decipher the parts book took me some time.

Thanks again:smileup:

#7 ·
You could wait until after the Winter
someone will total a 2009 - 2015 Ram

Auto Dismantling Yards are every where & Provo is just up the road
Pick & Pull & Messy Motors are close to you, possibly an ECOLOGY or Pick-a-Part is nearby

Google brought this up for your town
http://www.yellowpages.com/price-ut/salvage-yards

Let your fingers do the walking
Most larger auto wrecking yards have what is called a HOTLINE, it is connected to several auto wrecking yards, they use the Hotline to call other yards to see if they have a given part, like a gas tank, fender, hood, bumper, etc.

#10 ·
If the tanks are the same depth, the float that has the sensor in it will work well
If the tanks are a different depth, it wouldn't work quite as well

If the fuel pump has the same part number for both of the tanks, that would indicate that the 32 gallon tank is just longer then the smaller tank

#12 ·
DTE reading.. 26g versus 32g

Did the swap 2 weeks ago, driven close to 1100 miles since......

DTE still reads whatever MPG divided into 26g tank to give DTE, around 340 miles with 3.55 axle, so some math and I figured another 6g will safely get me 420 miles per tank load.
The "low fuel" light is on from around 300 miles, ( on my truck it comes on at 50 miles)

Hope that helps the next guy......:smileup:

#13 ·
I have found a local guy who has a tank for sale. Dealer removed it from a new 2012 3500. No idea what the tank capacity is and I thought before I inquired about it I would ask here if this tank would work with my 1500. I'm wondering if a tank from a diesel will work with my regular fuel truck? Here is the ad and picture for the tank I'm looking at.

This is a stock gas tank off a New 2012 Dodge 3500 diesel. The tank was taken off at the dealership when the truck was bought. If not happy with price feel free to make an offer.

He is asking $199. I'm pretty confident I could get him down to around $150-ish.. that is, if it fits and works with my Ram. Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

#15 ·
I have found a local guy who has a tank for sale. Dealer removed it from a new 2012 3500. No idea what the tank capacity is and I thought before I inquired about it I would ask here if this tank would work with my 1500. I'm wondering if a tank from a diesel will work with my regular fuel truck? Here is the ad and picture for the tank I'm looking at.

This is a stock gas tank off a New 2012 Dodge 3500 diesel. The tank was taken off at the dealership when the truck was bought. If not happy with price feel free to make an offer.

He is asking $199. I'm pretty confident I could get him down to around $150-ish.. that is, if it fits and works with my Ram. Thanks for the help guys!

Hi....Just finished doing the swap from 26g to 32g. This tank looks damn close to the 32g I installed. But the big access hole is for the gas fuel pump, that has a plug/cover on it.
You would have to check the emission lines to make sure they are right, but it sure looks like "right" tank.

Go to the dealer parts guy, ask him for the part # for the gas 32g/diesel 32g tank and see..... I can't see them making another tank because it's diesel....

HTH

#14 ·
Honestly...

I think you will be on your own on this one.

Gotta clean the snot out of that tank to make sure not a drop of diesel is left in it. More so I honestly don't think it'll be a direct bolt but I could be wrong.

Only real way to tell would be crawl under a 2500( they are easier to find than 3500 trucks should be the same) and compare. Find two 2500 trucks one with a gas engine and the other with the Cummins diesel and see if there is any real difference in the tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.