DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Luxury Laramie Edition

90K views 745 replies 57 participants last post by  Arth 
#1 ·
Hello all! Welcome to my build page (well, building page). LOL

My goal with my new rig is to chrome it out to be the best damn looking Laramie in the Basin (live just south of SLC).

This is her window sticker:
Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
Mineral Gray Metallic
Dark Slate Gray
Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
Floor-Mounted Shift Lever
Heated Second Row Seats

5.7L V8 HEMI (Love this part!!)
6 Speed Automatic

Standard Equipment
Power Adjustable Pedals w/Memory
Security Alarm
Trailer Tow Wiring w/4 pin Connector
7-Pin Harness
HD Engine Cooling
Advanced Multistage Front Airbags
Supplemental Side-Curtain Front & Rear Airbags
TPMS Display
Remote Entry
Electric Shift on Demand Transfer Case
Parkview Back up Camera

Interior
Second-Row In-Floor Storage
AC w/Dual Zone Control
730N SAT/CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Alpine Surround w/9 Speakers & Subwoof
Heated Front Seats
10-way Pwr Driver w/Memory & 6-Way Pwr Pass
Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
Memory for Radio, Driver's Seat, Mirrors & Pedals
Heated Steering Wheel (very nice feature! no more gloves!)
Wood Grain Instrument Panel Accent
Deluxe Door Trim Panel
SiriusXM Travel Link/1Yr Sub
SiriusXM Sat Radio/1Yr Sub
Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth
40GB Hard Drive with 20GB Available
Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls (a must have)
Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat (This is NOT true.. they only flip up.. they DO NOT fold down! :4-angermax:)
Power Lumbar Adjust
115V Aux Power Outlet
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Sun Visors w/Illuminated Mirrors
Rear Power Sliding Window

Exterior
20inx9in Aluminum Chrome-Clad Wheels
Dual Rear Exhaust
Lower Two Tone Paint
Bright Grille
Body Color/Chrome Door Handles
Accent Fender Flares
Halogen Quad Headlamps
Fog Lamps
Chrome Exterior Mirrors
Power Multi-Function Mirrors w/Manual Fold-Away
Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
P275/60R20 BSW All Season Tires

Optional Equipment (the fun starts here!)
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Floor-Mounted Auto Shift Lever
Heated Second-Row Seats
Ventilated Front Seats (woo baby.. up the neder regions! :SHOCKED:)
Customer Preferred Package 25H
Protection Group
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Monotone Paint (had to have this.. trade in was two tone..not a fan anymore)
Body-Color Fender Flares
Front and Rear Rubber/Slush Floor Mats
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Manual Fold-Away
Power Sunroof
Chrome Tubular Side Steps by Mopar
P275/60R20 OWL All Season Tires
Remote Start System (omg.. the best!)
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Trailer Brake Control

More pictures to come!

Attachments

See less See more
#103 ·
My K&N Filter came in the mail today! Paid $43.70 on Amazon..
Opening the shipping box was the most difficult part.. this was the easiest mod so far (and probably the easiest of all what I still plan to do). Figured out how to open the cover and switched it out with the factory filter. Easy peasy.
(Am keeping the factory as per husband's suggestion.. but do I really need to do that?)
No pictures of this mod as I am sure everyone already knows how to do this and what it looks like (and for those who haven't, I figure if a chick like me can figure it out, anyone else can!)

#106 ·
Here is the promised pic of my antenna.. after hubby cut a piece of plastic to fill in the gap..
First one is before shot and second pic is after the fix..

Still considering a different antenna.. this one bends badly at hwy speeds (65mph) and takes a long time to straighten itself back out and stand up straight..

Been eyeballing the AMI Big Stick antennas.. specifically the 9"..

Attachments

#107 ·
And the tonneau cover is done! :w00t:

It is a Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite and it is nice! Four panel, with access from the cab or the tailgate end.. it folds and stacks up at the base of the cab. I did request my husband skip one part of the install... this cover came with a footman's loop to be installed on the upper center of the tailgate where a pre-installed tab on the bottom of the fourth end panel would slide into this loop thus locking the tailgate when you lock the cover. I did not want this. I want to be able to drop the tailgate without having to raise the cover. Soooo.. we skipped the footman's loop.. and I had to tap the tab in a slight bit to clear the tailgate (it is installed with pop rivets so I don't really have a way to remove it entirely.. but bending it backward toward the inside of the bed worked just fine for now).

So, now my tonneau cover is installed and I can access the bed from either end and lock it at either end and drop the tailgate without messing with the cover. Perfect! (I just can't open it for a few days to give the weatherstripping awhile to settle and mold into place)

I will take some pictures of it in it's various positions tomorrow (as I totally forgot to do that today!)..

Attachments

#108 ·
Truck is looking really good!! I really like that bed cover :)

#113 ·
Hitch plug and nav screen protectors arrived today.. got those "installed".. now if my deflector would just show up.. grr.. supposed to have arrived today..

#114 ·
Update: Installed my DeeZee assist this afternoon.. nothing like the smell of fresh grease on your hands! They should make a body lotion with that scent! :D

Anyhoo.. the install went great after I got my hubby to help with the nutsert in step 2.. I ran with the install after that confusing thing (never seen one of those before).. the installation sheet is extremely easy to follow and has great pics.. just one word to the wise.. in step 8, after you remove the tailgate end of the existing cable to remove the motion limiter.. be sure to tighten the cable mount back to the tailgate TIGHT! I did not tighten this mount very well and when I tested the install, the cable kept slipping out to the side of the tailgate which would've have pinched it had I not noticed. So, to anyone who hasn't already done this mod.. make sure to tighten everything. :)

I take pride in knowing I am able to do quite a bit to my rig myself.. but apparently when it comes to hand tightening, I need hubby to follow up and tighten more.. my hands just don't cut it. (Besides, hubby has the callused hands of a body/fender guy and an underground miner.. much more cut out for this compared to my massage therapist hands.. LOL)

Attachments

#121 ·
Anyone who buys and installs the DeeZee Tailgate Assist will NOT know how they ever lived without it! It has only been one day since I installed mine and I have already found myself wondering why this isn't a factory installed mod as it seriously helps with the weight of the heavy tailgate. I have 'used' it numerous times over the last 24 hours and I must say.. I will never own another pickup without one!

Bottom line?
Get one! I guarantee you will not regret it!

#122 ·
Got my fog light replacement bulbs today (highs and lows come tomorrow)..
Love the difference! Went with Sylvania Silverstars..

Pics were taken with the passenger side replaced with Silverstar bulb, driver side OEM stock bulb..

Attachments

#123 ·
Looking real good! I have to agree they make a nice difference and are IMO good enough before going HID. Not gunna lie I enjoy your build thread because there aren't many who like the chrome look. It's nice to see another chrome lover join the ranks!!

Keep up the good work!! :smileup:

#124 ·
Thanks Arth :) I do love me some chrome :D

Update: Got the deflector on last week.. the guy I bought it from on eBay sent me the little insert thingies and I was finally able to bring that project to a close.. just got around to taking some pics today. I also got some fun decals for my mirrors.. perhaps a little lame, but I enjoy them.. and the grande finale for this post? My plates came in so now I am a true and official Ram Ham! LOL (and as a bonus I got to remove the temp sticker and cleaned the inside of the rear sliding window finally!!)

Next up? Cabin air filter mod.. just waiting for it to get a tad bit warmer this afternoon..

Attachments

#129 · (Edited)
Cabin air filter mod.. done!

I just couldn't wait for the weather to warm up any longer.. I went out bundled up and got this done finally. Since the majority already know the basics and several write ups exist, I will cut to the chase and just post pics of my personal.. uhm.. experience, if you will. :LOL:

This mod was pretty easy.. except for the odd angle, the inability to slide the passenger seat back further thus allowing more shoulder room, the severe lack of lighting and the sheer fact that this mod was intended for the left-handed of the general population!

All those points dealt with and put aside, I enjoyed doing this mod.. it was the first one that really felt like I was doing something to my truck.

And the best part? I only shed a little blood. (I didn't notice until just now while adding these pictures that my pinky finger got cut too.. lol.. I'm off to make yet another trip to the medicine cabinet) Did I mention I am not left handed? :doh:

Edit:
I know the filter in the pic doesn't show the arrows and the writing is upside down, but the arrows were on the side of the filter (not the front that shows in the pic) and I did in fact put it in correctly.. this particular filter seems to just deviate from those used by others.

Attachments

#132 ·
Looks like mine :LOL:
Not the bandaid, rather the mod....LOL

Maybe...... :gy:

I like the color matched visors on yours.. just not sure if it would look as good on the metallic gray.. and I have no idea about the cost involved with that either. What did it cost you, if you don't mind my asking, to get yours painted to match? Were your visors originally chrome or smoked and is one better for painting than the other?
Matching color visors look good on any vehicle. Id say do it :smileup:

#131 ·
I like the color matched visors on yours.. just not sure if it would look as good on the metallic gray.. and I have no idea about the cost involved with that either. What did it cost you, if you don't mind my asking, to get yours painted to match? Were your visors originally chrome or smoked and is one better for painting than the other?

#133 ·
I picked up my visors off ebay for $40 bucks shipped and yes they were smoked. Then I have a local paint shop that does them cheap...not to mention it isn't that much paint. They charged me $80 to do all four. I'm in this for about $120 out the door.

I think the cost is justified here because boy do they look awesome!

My personal opinion on the chrome visors is they are just an eye sore up there. At least with the steps, mirrors, bug guard, and side molding for me there is chrome near it to match. The visors are all alone on the door surrounded by paint...just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Besides...painted visors would compliment the B-Pillar tape removal! :smileup: Which I'm sure you've seen my picture of that as well...:gy:

#137 ·
Well.. you sold me. And I sold hubby on it when he got home. :D
He thought I wanted the all chrome look.. but after I showed him pictures here and from out in the wild internet world of examples of each look.. he caved.
So for the last few hours (off and on, was watching CSI: Miami at the same time :)) I've been pricing out the smoked visors as I had only priced out chrome ones til now.
Found a hell of a steal on Amazon! Got a "Used - Like New" set for only $8.37 with free Prime shipping! :w00t:
Even if they end up having a few minor imperfections, the paint job should mask most of it. But heck, only $8 bucks! I couldn't hesitate LOL

So, Arth, I thank you for the suggestion, advice, and the pictures on your build thread (the first truck, a silver one, really sold me on the look as it is closer to my rig's color than your current orange). On a side note, wow you sure change rigs rather frequently!

#138 ·
Always glad to help out!

Hey now I had a weak moment like I'm sure we all do and I bought what I thought was going to be the truck I'd keep for a LONG time. Times changed gas went up even more and I didn't enjoy owning a diesel because of my short drives.

Then I made a promise to my wife I wouldn't buy another truck no matter how much I disliked the silver one unless I found one identical to the truck I sold... Well as you can tell I found one.

Anyways lesson learned and as long as this one stays mechanically sound I will keep it going for as long as I can! :smileup:

#139 ·
Thought I'd post an update..

Just ordered my ultimately supreme, most awesomest mud flaps today! After a discussion with a member here, I was contacted by his dealership in Canada and we got my flaps on order! :w00t: They should arrive by the end of next week. Just in time for my hubby to return from Germany.. and we'll get them installed a week from this weekend. :D

Just a side note, I don't hear it very often.. being as how I live in Southern Utah.. but you Canadians have some of the coolest accents. :) Just sayin.

#141 ·
Some American's do have accents.. I am not one of them though..

And I go to whoever has what I want to buy. I learned about these flaps from reading the 'archives' (really old threads) here and went searching for them.. could not find them anywhere.. tried Bing, Google, Amazon, eBay, etc.. nothing. Just got lucky that the member whose thread I stumbled on from mid 2011 replied to my PM. :D

#145 ·
Well, the way I figure it is this..

Life throws enough surprises at me often enough to keep me on my toes.. so when it comes to my rig, I know some will still slip through and creep up on me, that's just Murphy's Law.. but I prefer little to no surprises. :)

Personal motto: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
That way, you are never completely surprised or disappointed.. but always have a stack of coupons for when life strikes! hehehe

#147 ·
haha oh i agree! ive had that happen a bunch already, i just got tired of researching everything so much haha gives me a headache looking for the best price on everything i want and from someone i can trust :p some times im like "i dont feel like looking, i dont care if i dont get the best deal right now, i just want it"

needless to say, i regret my actions later on

#149 ·
hahaha wow thats amazing. i dont know if ive ever met someone so interesting, that theyve actually made a SPREADSHEET ON WASHING MACHINES lol!! Well if you enjoy it so much i might just have to take you up on that lol :p hmm ill have to think if i need anything right now :)

#150 ·
LOL Well, like I said, the wall oven search was a little more detailed than I normally get.. my mom is very specific with her requests and so my results must be also.

Though, to be honest, I have a spreadsheet for my Ram.. tabs for miscellaneous wants and a tab for running totals for everything I've purchased so far.. including the dates, location, and serial numbers (when applicable).. so if I ever experience a problem with an item that came with a warranty, I can quickly find the info and contact the company or supplier for assistance. :) A little more work than most do, but I have had this method pay off in the past and save lots of time in some instances.

Yes, please PM me if you have something you'd like help with. :) My husband is in Germany for work for the next week and I have no appointments scheduled, unfortunately. So I could use something productive to do. LOL

#151 ·
Thats actually not a bad idea. but honestly, i dont think i want to know how much ive spent on this truck over the past 7 months. it scares to me think about it actually :p But it would make it easy to come up with warranty issues and stuff like that, having it all written out somewhere. i dont think ive kept one receipt :p

I cant even think of anything i want right now that doesnt come from one specific supplier :( i want stuff that needs research done on whats better! but thats a little bit different haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.