DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How do mods affect the warranty?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PaulBx 
#1 ·
I'm wondering about installing a bypass filter and maybe a transmission cooler and maybe an aluminum differential cover. I was just wondering, with all the modding going on around here, what the Dodge policy is for warranty work? Are they going to try to get out of doing it if they see your truck has any mods? Or if you put 5w30 oil in it?

#2 ·
I had the same question regarding mods so I called my dealer. According to the service mgr if you change parts they need to be mopar and installed by a certified mopar service shop to be covered under warranty. If you put aftermarket stuff on your truck and there is a failure they need to be able to prove it was that part that caused the failure for warranty to be void. That is just what I was told.

#3 · (Edited)
what would the bypass filter be for ??

I can not see a differential cover being a factory warranty issue

aluminum cools off the liquid faster, which is always a good thing
most after market covers hold more liquid then the OEM covers

the thing that i like about the after market covers, is that they have a Magnetic Drain Plug, a fluid change no longer requires a cover removal, unless there are excessive metal filings on the drain plug magnet
I have the MAG Hytec cover

#4 ·
If you were to have a failure of some sort, the dealer service would have to prove the mod you added caused the failure. So to use the differential cover as an example, if your tranny failed they cannot deny a warranty claim for the tranny because you installed a aftermarket diff cover.

#5 ·
Here is the bypass filter I am thinking of. I have installed one before in a Sprinter van.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ounts/single-remote-bypass-kit/?code=BMK21-EA

The point, among other things, would be to extend the oil change interval. I'm guessing that sort of thing is not going to fly with them if I have an engine problem. Maybe I will just go with the recommended oil and change intervals except go with synthetic, and if I have an issue simply remove the bypass filter before taking it in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.