DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need help with lift, tires, and wheels

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Tradesman13 
#1 ·
HELP PLEASE!! I'm looking at putting tires/wheels on my truck and maybe a SMALL lift. I would like my tires to stick out a little bit but I don't understand the offset/ backspace thing on wheels?? I pull a 5th wheel that already has a pretty steep angle so I cant go too big with this truck. 2013 Ram 2500

#2 ·
So how much do you want to go up?

As for the backspacing thing, offset is either positive or negative or in between at zero. Zero means the mounting surface of the wheel is in the center of the rim. Positive means that it is sitting closer inward. And negative is obviously outward of the center line. The more positive, the further in it sits. The more negative, the further out it sits. So for Ram 1500 Sport w the 20 x 9 rims, the offset is +19. Which means the rim is sitting 19mm further in than the center of the rim. So if I go w a -12mm offset on the same size rim, it will sit 31mm further out than my stock rims.

Backspacing is another way to measure the same thing really. Here is a chart that shows the backspacing in relation to offset and wheel width.

#9 ·
very nice chart this is good info I would suggest anyone interested in wheels and tires or who may have questions to save this and reference it! If for whatever reason the image location above is moved this same chart is hosted on our website you can find it here

http://bullysperformance.com/images/offset.gif

I would agree with what has been stated above as well :)

Thanks
Jeremiah

#3 ·
So start w how much lift you want. That will determine how much tire you want to put under it and what rim. Remember if you go w a wider tire, half of it will be on the inside so it will only stick out half as much as its increase in width over your stockers. So mine are 275/60/20. If I go up to a 295/60/20, it will stick out ten mm more than my stockers.
So to calculate how much new wheels and tires will stick out, decide how much you want them to stick out and then shop accordingly. Maybe drop a level from your fender lip down to the ground and measure in from that to the fattest part of the tire. Lets call that an inch for the sake of argument. Then add whatever you want them to stick out. Lets say another inch. So you need to come up w two inches of increase between wheel and tire combo. I don't know what your stock wheels are. But if they are a +25 offset for example, you can shop for a wheel w a lower offset but decide how wide of a tire you want and try to make up the difference w either a wider rim or wider w a lower offset ot the same size rim w a lower offset.

#4 ·
You're leaving this pretty wide open....

What exactly do you think a small lift is? 2"? 3"? 4"? To me it sounds like you just want a leveling kit so we're look at about 2.5" lift. There's multiple ways to achieve that... You can go cheap and just put Hell Bent Steel spacers on there and call it a day. Or you can do it right and get 2.5" lift coils, new shocks, and an adjustable track bar. If you plan on leaving it leveled I highly recommend the second option. Check out Top Gun Customz 2.5" progressive rate coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, and a BD Diesel adjustable track bar. That would be a really nice set up to level your truck.

Now wheels and tires are even more wide open. How far do you want to stick out? How big of tires do you want to run? What kind of tires do you want to run? Answer those and then we'll have an idea of what you're thinking and we can give you some suggestions.

#5 ·
I recommend a Rough Country 2.5" level, 20x9 rims as close to zero offset, and 35x12.50x20 tire. It will stick out an inch or so past the fender. Maybe a bit more if the tread is aggressive. It might rub at full lock on the inner fender plastic which is a simple trim job.

#7 ·
Lol. Me and Brandon love answering these types of questions so you'll likely get similar info from both of us. But at the end of the day, your budget, your truck. Give us as much info as you can and we'll both do what we can to help you out.
Yup, we're often on the same page when it comes to these threads. Lol.

Remember we're talking about a 2500 in this case though. So he isn't going to have rubbing issues running 35x12.5's with a leveling kit. The most likely place he'll rub is the control arms but that all depends on what offset wheel he goes with.

#6 ·
Lol. Me and Brandon love answering these types of questions so you'll likely get similar info from both of us. But at the end of the day, your budget, your truck. Give us as much info as you can and we'll both do what we can to help you out.

#8 ·
I've seen a guy on Cumminsforums (with a 2013) who had that exact issue. He was running that combo and the tires were mud terrains of some kind w a +1 offset rim. That's why I think it depends on his tire choice.

#10 ·
Ok, I do know I want to stay with 17" wheels and currently have 265/70/17. I think its best to stay with no lift or maybe 2-3" so I don't put my camper in too much of a bind. Cost is an issue for sure as we are trying to pay for a wedding at the same time. Right now I have found some 17x8.5" Dick Cepek Torque Gunmetal wheels with 33x12.5x17 Dick Cepek Radial Fun country 2 tires but didn't know what kind of lift it would require to run those. The Backspacing on those wheels is 5" and the offset is 6mm. About how far will those stick out? As you can see in my pics I have those 5" nerf bars that I think look silly right now so I gotta do something to fix this problem. Thanks!

#11 ·
you should be fine running a 33x12.50 with a +6mm offset on just the factory set up as your factory tire is just a tad smaller than a 33" tire, a lot of people are running true 33x1250's on factory suspension.

If you don't mind what price did you find that set up at we might be able to come in cheaper and can include mount/balance/and TPMS sensors.

Thanks
Jeremiah

#12 ·
That new package will sit 12mm further in and 38mm further out than your stockers. It will fill the wheel well another 19mm over your stockers.

#13 ·
So could I go bigger than a 33"? I would like to fill up the fenders a bit and maybe make it a tad taller.. Honestly I'm not 100% positive what I want, I just know it doesn't look tough enough for me. I have searched the web like crazy trying to find a pic of that "perfect truck" but cant find it anywhere.. I have not priced anything yet, so far just trying to figure out what I want. Just seen the wheels and tires and loved em..

#14 ·
Go w my recommendation and put 35 x 12.50 (either 17, 18, or 20") on it. Provided yours is a 4x4 pick up a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts for a couple hun and set them at 2.1" which is the second highest setting and you'll be good to go. If yours is a 4x2, I think you can only do a spacer kit to level the truck.

Google dodge ram 2500 level 35" tires and see for yourself.

#15 ·
You can fit full 35x12.5's on a stock height 2500 if you want to. But it will look stuffed IMO. If I were you I'd level the truck using spacers (since you're on a budget) and then put on some 35x12.5's on either the stock rims if you want to save money or aftermarket if that's what you want to spend a bit more.

If you don't put on an adjustable track bar your drivers side front tire will be sticking out about 1.75" and your passenger side will be sticking out about 1" running the 17x8.5 6mm offset wheels.

If you want to see tons of pictures of Heavy Duty 4th gens running different wheel/tire and lift combos check out CumminsForum. Everything there is 2500/3500 trucks so it's a lot easier to find what you're looking for.

#18 · (Edited)
Well yes and no, it depends how you look at it.... There's a ton more options and better ways to lift a 2500/3500 over a 1500. Plus I can go twice as high lifting a 3500 over a 1500.

Putting a spacer on a 2500 isn't like putting one on a 1500. Because they're a solid axle rather than IFS it doesn't change the geometry in the same way and makes them fine to use. I could get into way more detail with all of it but it would take forever to type out. lol...

#20 ·
Maybe but I'll take the ride quality, traction, and stability of a coilover design w ifs over a coil and solid axle any day. They both clearly have benefits but for a daily driver, I think the coilover/ifs wins.

#24 ·
The ride quality on a solid axle isn't much different from IFS. In fact the front of my 3500 rides very similar to how my 1500 did. It will be even better once I replace the shocks and possibly the springs. A solid axle also does provide more traction especially in offroad use. That's why Power Wagons and all the Jeep guys and such use them. Both are great set ups in their own way.

Alright guys, you have me looking at 35's but how wide? Also what would be a good cheap lift option for this. I was looking at one that had coil spacers on the front and the lift block on the rear... or should I level only?? I really like the looks of the maroon Cummins at this link, not the mega cab its the one with all the chrome.

http://www.*****************/forum/...rket-tires-stock-wheels-picture-thread-6.html
As LowUFO said I'd go 12.5 wide. That will look really good on your 2500.
For now I would just throw some coil spacers on the front. Don't worry about the back. Just take the measurements of your truck to determine weather or not you need a 2" spacer or 2.5". Check out Hell Bent Steel, Rough Country, Revtek, or Top Gun Customz to name a few.

Yeah this site won't let you post links to competitor's sites. 12.50" wide is the most common. And you don't need to lift the back. Technically, you don't even need to level the front. But it will definitely improve the look of the truck. And front 2.5" spacers will cost you a hundred bux or so. Then if you find you want more lift on the back, you can always add a pair of rear coil spacers later.
2500 have leaf springs in the back, not coils. He'd need lift blocks not coil spacers.

#21 ·
Alright guys, you have me looking at 35's but how wide? Also what would be a good cheap lift option for this. I was looking at one that had coil spacers on the front and the lift block on the rear... or should I level only?? I really like the looks of the maroon Cummins at this link, not the mega cab its the one with all the chrome.

http://www.*****************/forum/...rket-tires-stock-wheels-picture-thread-6.html

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah this site won't let you post links to competitor's sites. 12.50" wide is the most common. And you don't need to lift the back. Technically, you don't even need to level the front. But it will definitely improve the look of the truck. And front 2.5" spacers will cost you a hundred bux or so. Then if you find you want more lift on the back, you can always add a pair of rear coil spacers later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.