DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Getting new headlights

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kamanhart 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking to replace OEM headlights with better look. I have a 2006 Sport Quad all black. Done some researching but getting mixed reviews on a bunch of different kinds. What do you have and could you please show pics?
TIA

#2 ·
Welcome to the forumz. You should pop into the "Newbie" thread and introduce yourself.

Are you looking for something different than the stock lights or just looking for a quality stock replacement?

#4 ·
I don't have any experience with any of those. For a good quality stock appearing headlight I was going to recommend TYC. I replaced the oxidized lights in my 04 with TYC stock lights and I love them.

The biggest issue with aftermarket lights tends to be one of two things. A lot of them these days have some sort of halo or LED DRL built in. These components tend to be the first to fail based on what I have seen. The other issue is that the low to mid grade aftermarket lights often experience leakage or condensation build-up on the inside. I would recommend running a thin coating of clear weatherproof silicone all around the seam where the light housing and lens meet. If you do this properly, even with a set of the cheap Ebay lights, they are pretty much guaranteed not to leak.

#5 ·
Bump!

Gonna bump this up to the top, as I'm also thinking of replacing headlights, not sure if I'm going with Stock look or some aftermarket look... I like the dark housing, but I know I want clear lens, not smoked or black.

Would love to see pictures of anybody with non-stock or OE replacement-style lights.....

starquestbd22-- where did you order your TYC lights from?

#6 · (Edited)
I got mine from Jeremy McFail (I believe that's his name) at Retro Shop. He is active on the other Ram forums but I don't think he is here. Not sure why. Regardless, it was a great transaction. The first set he sent came in damaged. Contacted him and he made it right promptly and easily. Here's a link to his site. Looks like the TYC replacements are still about the same that I paid for them around two years ago.

Not sure why but it won't let me post the link here. Just google "retroshop" and it's the first result.

There isn't much to see about my lights. They look exactly like the stockers. They are absolutely crystal clear though.

#7 · (Edited)
(OP, sorry for sort of jacking your thread)

I really like stock, those look fantastic.

That, that is my issue. I love my baby, don't get me wrong, BUT. I really like light, these don't put out enough, and the driver's side one has been filling with water. A lot.

Thanks for responding so quickly! :)

#8 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the lights on our early 3rd gen trucks aren't extremely adequate even when new. They don't put out the same pattern that the 06-08 lights do. In fact, seems like I read once that the reason for the 06 makeover was that very thing. Not much we can do about that though without going to HIDs or something similar. Even then you might get brighter but you aren't going to get a better pattern without an actual projector retrofit ($$$). Probably worse actually.

My truck has the stock Hella fogs and I run them any time the heads are on. They really supplement and fill in the cutoff of the headlights. I am running stock bulbs and find the heads plus fogs to be plenty sufficient. I would start with the new heads. Yours look pretty well oxidized so it should make a descent difference in both output and appearance. If you still wanted more you could look into installing the factory fog kit.

#12 ·
There have been no issues with the one that i got that was good, but the passenger side came broken and the one they sent me after that the high beams were out. I'm currently awaiting the next one, and the company has been very helpful with the broken ones. (yes i'm driving around with one halo and one stock, lol).

Attachments

#13 ·
Here is my set up, This is a pair of TYC's that i purchased from rock auto ($41). I did my own retro fit and halo installation running a true 55w HID high and low beam in 6000K temp.

I will agree with Starquest that there lights are damn good quality for a reproduction and i would buy them in a heart beat. They also offer color options for black, and amber lens removed.

As far as after market lights are concerned, most cheap HID lights that you can buy will be just that.. cheap. The reflectors and lens they use for the HID's are pretty sub-par quality and the output will confirm that.

($100-150)
As far as getting decent light for a good budget my pull would be a TYC replacement in black(but maintains the chrome reflector) and then some silverstar bulbs. IMO that would get you about as much light as the cheaper HIDS.

($300-400)
You can do like i did with a little time and patience and make your own higher quality reflectors and lenses and make your own which provides outstanding light... I havent had to flip my brights on for about as long as i can remember. Also these provide a razor edge cut off line so no people flashing you for blinding them.

($600-800)
If you just have a taste for nice things and want quality and dont care about the price contact Jeremy at the retrofit source and he will build you some that will be about as top of the line as you can get!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.