DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Replaced water pump, now overheating

7K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  B1500ram 
#1 ·
Hello all , been sometime since last here.

I replaced the water pump on my 2003 Ram 1500 after it blew up on me, i also replaced thermostat and fan clutch, and belt.

It seems the thermostat is not opening because truck is overheating, i thought there might be a bubble in the system particularly on the thermostat so i loosened the thermostat housing to let water drain, on the engine side of the thermostat it was COLD! While all other hoses are hot as hell besides the hose coming down off the radiator to the thermostat.

I feel there is a bubble in the system but cant seem to figure this out on my own just yet. Do any of you have any suggestions on fixing this issue. What is the coolant bleed valve on the top of the engine, and how or when would you use that? :4-dontknow:

Thanks so much! - Brian

#2 ·
So i realized the tstat was not in the incorrect orientation, jiggle valve down, I adjusted it to the 12 oclock position. But, still overheating, seems there has to be a bubble somewhere. I just put the truck on some wood blocks to elevate the front so bubbles can come to the surface. Waiting for it to cool down then try again. If i fix it I will let ya know.

SO frustrated! <COME ON GUYS> Give me some suggestions.... Where is Ram Tech when you need him?!

#3 ·
FYI, So definitely goofed on this one, while in a hurry to finish I installed the tstat in reverse. I switched it around, and temp is still somewhat high. Usually the temp runs just below the middle line of temp gauge. Now it is running near middle and going a needles width above middle line. It seems the tstat is opening, I am letting it cool for the night and see if i can burp it or fill more coolant in the morning.

I did get a 195 degree stat not sure if that is oem or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.