DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Electric Fan Flex-a-lite 183 Vs Ford Taurus fan

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RamRod37 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm wanting to do a electric fan on my truck and I'm finding post about the ford Taurus Electric fan from 88 to 95 has more CFM's some have used this fan on their ram and seems to be big with hot rodders between the Flex-a-lite Black Magic Xtreme Series Electric Fans 183 & The Ford Taurus fan is a two speed fan 4000/4500CFM the Taurus fan has 700/1200 CFM on the Flex a Lite at 3300CFM

Ok now here's the kicker I can get The Taurus fan Brand new with a Derale 180 degree single stage fan controller For less Than 100 Bucks the flex a Lite is 350+ I'm Leaning hard towards the Taurus fan big time for that price unless someone knows something I Don't I'm Up For You Guys Opinion On This

at 4000CFM On low speed I should not need a dual stage controller

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Taurus fan, Accueley its the Mark VII fan and I got it from a junk yard in some far away place on eBay for 40 bucks. It isd the single best mod i have done. It immediately gave me more power, bettr gas millage and the truck just drove way better. Plus the factory fan is really loud besides sucking off a lot of power. Your gonna be surprised.
So I bought this really expensive Spal controller because it did all of this cool stuff. But Spal said it wouldn't work with this fan because it draws too many amps. I did find work arounds that use Relays on the web but instead I went down to my local parts place and got a 20 dollar controller with the thermostat that goes threw the radiator.

It works great, every once in a while I will have an issue with the fan where is wont go on. I have learned to carry a spare relay in the truck. See the Fan draws real hard and over time I guess it burns the contacts inside the relay. If It gives me an issue i just plug the spare relay in the plug and away I go. I ended up selling the SPAL on ebay and I have been really happy with my Mark VII fan. It rocks. I ended up puting a small light on the dash showing when the fan is running and I also put a switch so I can out it on if I want to. I rarely use it. I am glad that i have the light, its worth while.

Just do a good job and don't just slam it in and it will work forever. I took the Dodge shroud off and made a couple of brackets to mount the Ford shroud and it works great. Your gonna be totally impressed with the way the truck drives after you get that old fan off of there. You will wonder why they use those power robbing fans in the first place.

Forget about the other brands and get those old ford fans. they are honestly bullet proof, that's why the rock crawlers and hot roder's use them. they are unbelievable

Just so you know i have mine wired on the low fan mode and it blows like nothing to have seen. If you hook up the high volume fan you might be able to get it to propell you down the highway all by it self

Use big wire, do it clean and do it so the next guy can easily figure it out and you are gonna brag like I am.

Good Luck,

Joe

#3 ·
I have the Taurus fan, Accueley its the Mark VII fan and I got it from a junk yard in some far away place on eBay for 40 bucks. It isd the single best mod i have done. It immediately gave me more power, bettr gas millage and the truck just drove way better. Plus the factory fan is really loud besides sucking off a lot of power. Your gonna be surprised.
So I bought this really expensive Spal controller because it did all of this cool stuff. But Spal said it wouldn't work with this fan because it draws too many amps. I did find work arounds that use Relays on the web but instead I went down to my local parts place and got a 20 dollar controller with the thermostat that goes threw the radiator.

It works great, every once in a while I will have an issue with the fan where is wont go on. I have learned to carry a spare relay in the truck. See the Fan draws real hard and over time I guess it burns the contacts inside the relay. If It gives me an issue i just plug the spare relay in the plug and away I go. I ended up selling the SPAL on ebay and I have been really happy with my Mark VII fan. It rocks. I ended up puting a small light on the dash showing when the fan is running and I also put a switch so I can out it on if I want to. I rarely use it. I am glad that i have the light, its worth while.

Just do a good job and don't just slam it in and it will work forever. I took the Dodge shroud off and made a couple of brackets to mount the Ford shroud and it works great. Your gonna be totally impressed with the way the truck drives after you get that old fan off of there. You will wonder why they use those power robbing fans in the first place.

Forget about the other brands and get those old ford fans. they are honestly bullet proof, that's why the rock crawlers and hot roder's use them. they are unbelievable

Just so you know i have mine wired on the low fan mode and it blows like nothing to have seen. If you hook up the high volume fan you might be able to get it to propell you down the highway all by it self

Use big wire, do it clean and do it so the next guy can easily figure it out and you are gonna brag like I am.

Good Luck,

Joe
Nice I'm Thinking about setting my high side up through the ac condenser fan so when a/c fan runs it will run this fan on high of course that will require me to use two relays but electrical work is fun to me Iv been around it al my life got three generations of electricians of family that iv learned from so I take pride in neat work and doing it right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.