DODGE RAM FORUM banner

idle surge then stall-intermittent problem

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jgt157 
#1 ·
Hi,

Once every 2-3 months or so I will start my truck at work and put in gear-after putting in drive the engine will idle up and it will pull against the brakes and die.

I will start again out of neutral and it will run fine. Otherwise truck runs great.

Truck is 06 1500 SLT w/4.7L motor and 97K. It has done off an on for a couple years. I have owned it since new, has fresh Champion copper plugs. I've cleaned the throttle body and and IAC at each plug change.I do maintenence myself-tranmission nver flushed, but had two pan drops and filter/fluid changes. Fluid is full and clean.

It shows no codes when I cycle the ignition on and off 2x. Occationally I will get a check engine light with no code, after tightening the gas cap the light will go away after a couple days.

It seems odd how this will happen from time to time with no real reason or other problems.

#2 ·
Very weird, indeed. Mine used to do that, once every couple of months. No idea why. But, since I've been running Seafoam through every 4th or 5th tank, it hasn't done it. Is Seafoam the fix? Don't know for sure, just know that it hasn't done it in over 4 years.

#4 ·
I had same problem, inconsistent idel, occasional stalls, went trough the following;
1. cleaned throttle body.
2. replaced IAC
3. replaced TPS
4. replaced PCV,
then finally got a code, tps error. advance auto sold me a bad tps, took it back, had them read code, they replaced it, put new one in, and its has worked perfect since.
I would try the tps 1st if I had this problem again.

#6 ·
Same issue, for a long time, idle surge, used to die, now it wants to accelerate while I am on the brake. No codes, my uncle is a mechanic and he said to replace TPS even if you aren't getting a code. I guess the TPS is made of some sort of spring inside and the metal 'spring' is being worn out where it is being used the most, ie; accelerating from a dead stop. as others have said... start there. i havent done mine yet. Let us know how it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.