DODGE RAM FORUM banner

RAM 2500 2wd suspension quuestion...

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  hattitude 
#1 ·
I have a 2500 ST (tradesman), crew cab, 2wd, with the Cummins.

I noticed that my truck sits a little lower than my friend's '13 1500 does. They are both stock and both with 17" wheels. I then noticed that my truck seems to sit lower than a lot of RAM trucks with 17" wheels.

I thought that odd, given my truck is supposed to have a much higher payload than the 1500. I looked at the RAM payload calculator and noticed a couple different max payloads for the various model trims of the 2500. I have the base trim, yet a couple of the higher trim levels (read heavier) have higher payload than mine… I began to wonder if there were different coils/springs used that affect payload and height.

I looked online at a parts site and noticed that for a 2013 RAM 2500, there are (8) different front coil springs listed. They are all for two wheel drive and are identified by three letter codes. I don't see any of these codes on my build sheet or window sticker…

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFK, ZUK 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFG, ZUG 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFH, ZUH 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFF, ZUF 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFE, ZUE 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFD, ZUD 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFC, ZUC 2WD

coil spring Ram 2500; Code ZFA, ZUA 2WD

These different coil springs retail from $127 to $195

My questions……..

Does anyone know what these 3-letter codes refer to?

Could I raise my payload/height by adding a different OEM coil spring to the front end?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have had experience with this….

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I know that the code changes depending on corner of the vehicle. Not sure why there are so many choices. I believe the code is found on the spring itself.

But its probably easier to just go aftermarket and raise it up using longer springs and blocks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info…

… not sure I know what "corner of the vehicle" means…

I will look to see if I can find the codes on my springs….

I may end up in the aftermarket, but I don't want it "lifted" as much as just the height of an OEM 4x4…

#4 ·
By corner of the vehicle, I mean front left or front right or in the case of the 1500 series of Rams, front left, front right, rear left, or rear right.

#5 ·
So maybe measure a new 4x4 version on a dealership lot from the ground to the top of the wheel arch and the same w yours so you can know the difference for the purposes of shopping for parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.