DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Shifting Points normal vs tow/hall

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bad Matt 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 auto trans and I am trying to find out what the shifting points or speed should be when the torque converter locks up and when it should shift into overdrive, Normal vs tow/hall modes. If any you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Well if you have an auto trans then no reason to worry about shifting, however if you want to use the 4 wheel for better traction when towing, use 2L normally, 4H up hill and towing and 4L when going down steep grating, I like to use 4L on both up and down and surface when towing but I prefer the extra torque with it... All about comfort really... Also I'm not sure how the 2500 2005 is set up

#3 ·
The problem I have is the torque converter locks up at 30 mph and shifts to top gear at 42-45 mph when in Tow/haul. In normal mode torque converter locks in at the same time as top gear which is at a speed of 49 mph. Best fuel mileage is when I am in Tow/haul. It looks like it is backwards. This doesn't effect mileage on highway it does when your in city.

#6 ·
Yes, you do need to worry about shifting with an automatic transmission.
The question is, what RPM should the transmission shift going from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th?
For example, my truck was shifting from 2nd to 3rd around 2,000 RPM.
I adjusted the front band and now it is shifting around 3,000 RPM.
What are the expected RPM’s when automatic transmission should shift?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.