DODGE RAM FORUM banner

towing mileage

13K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Brent b3 
#1 ·
Hey guys just wondering what other people are getiing for mileage while towing a travel trailer. My trailer weighs around 4200 lbs loaded. I just came back from a trip close to 500 miles using my tow haul only and got 13 mpg. Or 21.5L/ 100 km Didn't think it was that bad.

#4 ·
Pulling around 9 mpg towing a 23 foot travel trailer. I'd love to get 13!!
Me too! I've had it as low as 7 mpg and as high as 10 mpg pulling my travel trailer.

#12 ·
Towed for the first time with my 2010 Ram (4x4 Hemi w/3.55). Pulled a 26" camper (4500 lbs) through ND and averaged 9 MPG. I did have a stiff crosswind, but overall, I'm happy with the fuel economy. Of course, I used this bit of knowledge to further my argument with my wife for different gears or a CTD! :smileup:

#14 ·
I just completed a round trip best I got was 10.9 to the gallon and worst I got was 7.7 miles per. Am an old school guy and mechanic working it out in Litres per 100 kilometres doesn't tell me anything. By the way towing about 5100 pounds when fully loaded and have some wicked hills here in Beautiful British Columbia. I have learnt a lesson though stay off the Coke(Hwy 5). 5a is just fine and the old TC Hwy 1 works great.

#15 ·
I just got a 2007 4.7L and finished a roughly 2500km trip towing a 3000 lb trailer. My millage was brutal in my opinion (although there was a lot of mountain driving). I was between 20-25 L/100km the entire trip.

My 2008 trailblazer with a 4.2L I6 gives me WAY better mileage towing that exact trailer.

lol...I still love the truck.

#20 ·
Last week round trip to Ocala and back 200 miles we averaged 10.5 mpg pulling our 6500lb two horse gooseneck. About 1 mpg better than the 1500 we traded in and the 2500 is an incredibly better towing rig. I never really felt safe towing our gooseneck with the 1500.

#23 ·
Thought it was just me

Well, I feel a LITTLE better after reading these. I just joined this forum and the only reason was to try to get advice on how to improve my mileage while towing my camper. 20' TT @ 4500 lbs. I'm getting 5-6 mph!! It's a 2003 SLT Quad Cab with a 4.7. Everything is stock. Somebody told me a K&N air filter might help. I'm seriously thinking about buying a 2500 just to tow this thing because i HAVE to get better than 5mpg. It takes all the fun out of camping if I have to spend $300 on gas to go less than 400 miles round-trip. Is there ANYTHING else I can do?

#29 ·
Well, I feel a LITTLE better after reading these. I just joined this forum and the only reason was to try to get advice on how to improve my mileage while towing my camper. 20' TT @ 4500 lbs. I'm getting 5-6 mph!! It's a 2003 SLT Quad Cab with a 4.7. Everything is stock. Somebody told me a K&N air filter might help. I'm seriously thinking about buying a 2500 just to tow this thing because i HAVE to get better than 5mpg. It takes all the fun out of camping if I have to spend $300 on gas to go less than 400 miles round-trip. Is there ANYTHING else I can do?
Ive heard a few owners complain about the 4.7 with towing, its a good motor, just not as powerful for towing as the 5.7 is. What year is the trailer, the older trailers (lets say early 2000's and older) weight more than the current models do at same length/configuration. Check your trailer brakes and tire pressure. Might be able to get some lower resistance rolling tires for the trailer to help.

:thk:
Few things you could do to the truck:
1. Intake and Exhaust (may help open her up a bit)
2. Rear end change
3. Computer program
4. Use 89 Octane (sometimes this helps)

I'd hate to hear you replace the truck cause of the trailer...some people keep the truck and get a newer trailer because they are lighter. All depends on finances and how attached you are to each.

Have you checked the Trailer Empty and loaded weight in comparision to the VIN/RV sticker? Maybe lighten the load inside the trailer...

Just compliling ideas while im bored here at work, :LOL:
Hope this can help.

#25 ·
I am pulling a TT that goes just around 6600 lbs. loaded for a trip. Prior to having the Transmission completely overhauled and a shift kit put in it I was lucky to get 9.5 miles per gallon. Have been on 2 trips now with the rebuilt tranny and getting 11.5 to 13.5 per gallon depending on terrain. I live in BC can be very hilly at times. Oh by the way that is with a 3.55 rear end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.