DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ok.. I think i broke it.. again..

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  battlerattle 
#1 ·
well i took the ram muddin today. it got sticky on a trail so i put it in 4 wheel. every thing was fine, went in smooth, everything was great.. went back down the same trail and im trying to climb a muddy hill and all of the sudden i hear a loud grinding niose and i start spinning the back tires only. so i pulled back on the shifter and i could feel a vibe in the shifter. no noise or grinding when going slow but as soon as i give it gas, it grinds bad. so what did i do? t case? maybe? the front axle and u joints are fine. its dark and didnt eally look it over too well yet. o and it didnt make any noise in 2wd, just 4x4....
i hope i didnt mess something big up... :doh:

#2 · (Edited)
If you're absolutely positive all your axle joints and shaft joints are ok includung your front shafts' CV system...
you might pop off your tailshaft extension housing on your T-case and make sure you didn't destroy your snap ring that holds the t-shaft rear bearing assembly in place.
When that comes apart your t-case will be ruined in a matter of minutes.
You can buy a collar assembly that replaces the snap ring. It's good insurance.

#4 ·
It is very possible that it poped out of gear. If you are confident all is good now then you shouldnt have to many worries. I have two suggestions (jeeper in me can't resist).

1. Get underneat and make sure your x-fer case linkage is all adjusted properly.

2. If the gears truly grinded as bad as you say, CHANGE YOUR XFER FLUID before those shavings have a chance to get into the bearings and chain.

#8 ·
As i stated above I dont know your specific linkage well. Generally one or both ends of the linkage rods are threaded. Using those threaded ends you adjust any play out of the system. If it is a cable there should be a cable adjustment somewhere. Also check any joints for worn or missing/broken nylon/plastic fasteners or bushings as these can cause excesive play (chrysler is notorious for this).

#11 ·
yes the chain can stretch, but it will not cause the gears to grind. It will cause a jerkiness when it is stretched but not grinding. If it breaks on the other hand then all hell can be going on, but it doesnt sound like yours is broken. It sounds like your transfer case is not completley engaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.