DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How does the SRT-10 get traction?

13K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  06srt10 
#1 ·
I was reading an article the other day about the SRT-10 and the writer said that launching the SRT-10 was pretty easy, and that it didn't spin tires unless you revved it too high before launching. With 500 HP and 525 lb/ft of torque, how can it get traction like that? My R/T with a hundred less horses will roast its tires if I launch it at 1,500 RPMs or more! So I'm thinking Dodge did something special to the SRT-10 (besides wider tires) to make it hook like that. And whatever it is, I want that too! Do any of y'all have any ideas?

#2 ·
The wider tires might not even help. In a "lightweight" truck wider tires will share the load along more or a surface creating less "push" into the ground mnaking them want to spin a bit easier.

I talked to a few guys once who said the fastest/best way they had launched their trucks was in 2nd gear because of the rear end ration

#3 ·
So I'm assuming I better stick my stock tire size? Problem is, our trucks are all automatics, so we can't launch in 2nd. I heard the SRTs had some sorta traction bars?

#4 ·
I dont know much about the SRT suspension unfortunately. With an auto car it isnt as big as a deal because clutch cars hit the tires a lot harder out of the hole.

Your just gonna have to learn how your truck likes to come out of the hole without a smoke show or get a stickier tire.

A few guys go to a 17" rim on 26-28" drag radials, those effectively raise your ratio as well helping with acceleration, and dont have much traction issues.

Being your 2wd you could aslo run a front "skinny" and even further reduce weight/rolling mass/rolling resistance

#5 ·
With the 4.56 gears, you do have to be careful with the throttle. A good burnout to create some sticky tires will help with the launch, but remember, the launch is not at a high RPM.

The tires on those beasts are low durometer, sticky tires normally found on many sport coupes and sedans. And they are wider than the stock tires found on your Ram. So traction is a bit better than what we experience.

So there are a lot of variables but everyone I know says they are easy to launch but it's wayyyy too easy to burn the tires off too!

#6 ·
I'm thinking y'all assume I spin my tires at the track..so far I've never even been to the track :( I race on deserted and open country roads mostly. It sounds like I'm just gonna have to wait until my current tires are bald and get some sticky tires!

#9 ·
I'm thinking I'll just stick to my wheels...I don't think I could ever explain to my father why I'm switching from one set of 22s to another :LOL: However, I think I'm gonna lower it as soon as I got the money!

That's some good info there CollateralDamage, I hope to get the widest possible tires for my truck..sounds like they worked for you.

#10 ·
I'd like to know how any of you can light up the tires with the stupid traction control. I've tried turning it off and putting it in tow mode and the only way I can break em loose is in water or gravel...What gives????

#13 · (Edited)
Are you serious? You must have 3:21 gears...or some fantastic tires...or you're driving in 4 wheel drive :LOL:

Edit: Forgive my sarcasm...in all seriousness though, maybe its just too hot out there in LA and your engine is heat soaked. Maybe drive it early in the morning, rev the engine to 1,500+ RPMs, and listen to the sound of spinning tires! :smileup:

#12 · (Edited)
Helps over time when you learn how your truck responds and when, and then adjust your pedal foot to accommodate. Traction devices help too of course lol.
Next week when my 3400 stall goes in i will once again relearn how the truck responds and adjust my driving habits to accommodate lol. It matters since the truck can hole shot like no other.

#14 ·
Dang kay9, a 3400 stall sounds pretty intense..I hope you're ready for a drop in MPGs? What do you run in the 1/4? And how do you get traction?

#15 · (Edited)
You are prob' right regarding MPG but i have not thought about it since 09. I run 4.88's on 28" tires if that provides any indication. LOL

No recent 1/4 times yet - She's more of a street ride that i can still use as a truck for my needs if need be. Plan is to get some seat time but it will be in street trim which she has quite a bit of weight reduction done.

I run rear Nitto nt5555r Drag Radials 305/45/18's full time. 275/55/17 Toyo Proxes in the front. Also have Caltracs and Belltech rear sway bar.

#16 ·
The SRT10s actually have a serious traction problem, but, they can get them to hook with the right tires.

But, from the factory, the SRT10s come with a rear sway bar (which actually does help with a launch) and slapper bars built into the rear leaf springs (basically factory style traction bars) which help with rear weight transfer.

Its a cool setup really, and I always wanted to build a set for my Ram but never got to it.

Caltrac bars help a lot, but, they are pretty exspensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.