DODGE RAM FORUM banner

18" Magnaflow cat back installed (w/pics)

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  916Timmy 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally, after much adieu thanks to a backorder from Magnaflow, I had my new cat back setup and y-pipe installed today. First and foremost, I have to thank BlackRamHemi for talking me into spending the extra money to do this. While I did not realize the savings he did, I am glad I went this route. So thank you BRH, the Kool-Aid went down smooth. Those 5" tips entirely make this mod and it was your thread that made me do it. Another shout out for 916Timmy because it was his great thread on exhaust that started me down this path months ago.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is I took a few pics for everyone. They are not the best but better than nothing and will hopefully keep the pic hos from beating down my door. The bad news is I do not have a video camera so I can't post a video...yet. I do plan to buy one soon and will update with a video later. I tried to take before and after videos with my digital camera and well...quite frankly they just flat out suck. So, more to come soon, please don't flame me now.

I did not do the install as I do not have the time nor do I own or know how to use a welder. A local shop did the entire install for $180. The system has less than three miles on it so the sound should improve with time. But I can tell you that in the short distance I drove it home, it is 100% AWESOME! I passed my wife and gunned it a little and she said it sounded good (and quite frankly, she could give a rat's fat, hairy butt how it sounds). So, I am pleased. I hope the pics at least bring you some pleasure for now.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 916Timmy
#2 ·
Whoops! Just noticed I put this on the 2012 forum instead of the 2011. Sorry folks!

#5 ·
Does this setup give more performance than an 18" with a y-pipe? If so, how?

#6 ·
Too new for me to speak about performance but better air flow should help. Now that I have this installed, my next step is to put in the Volant CAI that is sitting in my garage. That, combined with exhaust, tonneau cover and higher octane gas should yield better mpg and slightly higher horsepower. Alas, I have no proof (yet), so I will allow others on this forum to share their experience. But below are two excellent threads by folks much smarter than me in hopes they may assist you as you compile info:

BlackRamHemi --> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84922

916Timmy --> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71908

#8 ·
Thanks MD. That means A LOT coming from you. Of course, you could go ahead and hit them scales...you know...help a brother out. :shy:

#13 ·
I went with the 18" because I felt the 14" might be a little too loud for my personal tastes. Quite honestly, the 18" will take some getting used to over the stock system. I get a little bit of drone in the lower gears but not bad. But man, it sounds so good at take off.

#14 ·
...Another shout out for 916Timmy because it was his great thread on exhaust that started me down this path months ago....

Yep, Timmy is a good guy. Hey gave me some great information in a chat room one afternoon about exhaust. Really helped inform me and give me direction on what I want to do with my exhaust. Rep points to Timmy!! :rep:

Reactions: 916Timmy
#15 ·
lookin real good there bud!!!!

#21 ·
My bad...I meant to say the 22" that came with the kit. I had an 18" I was going to swap out with the stock muffler before I decided to go with the cat back. I sold it to another forum member before it was ever installed. I simply got fumble fingers when I typed it up earlier. Sorry guys.

BRH - I love hitting that remote start too. It's been 100 degree almost every day so I always crank her up first to let it cool down inside. Gonna fire it up from the top floor of my office building today to see what it sounds like inside from that distance.

#23 ·
Well, after having a few days to drive around with the new exhaust I have to say that I love to hear it roar at WOT. It is just awesome to hear when merging on the highway or taking off from a light. The drone is a little more than I expected. Most of my driving is in town so that is not a huge deal to me. Might be a little loud on a long distance trip but certainly bearable. The radio helps to mask some of it. Overall, very pleased I did this. Now it is time to put on my Volant CAI. Will post that install in a separate thread at a later date.

#24 ·
Looking good Razor! I went with the 18" muffler and Y pipe only and now wish I went with the 22". The sound the truck makes at take off and passing is awesome with the 18". The drone is not bad at all when you get to highway speeds either. But pulling the camper, the drone is pretty bad. We'll see what mod comes next, but the 22" might be in the future.

#25 ·
Thanks gingrbredman - Just wish I could get a few more people to hit the love button for me. What's a boy gotta do to get a little love around here? :gy:

Attachments

#26 ·
I tried ....I already sent some love from the last mod you did and I'm told I need to pass it around first.

Maybe you gotta upload that video once you get the camera. The pic gods have been fed so much they need something more....video.

#27 ·
And I do sincerely appreciate that love you sent. And you are right, it seems pics are just not enough any more. Gotta get me a video camera I guess.

#28 ·
Not a bad idea. You have that CAI in the garage and we are going to have to hear that beast fire up when you turn the key. I'm sure you also have plenty of other mods in mind just dying to be on camera.

#29 ·
Lots of mods in mind but gotta think about the $$$ right now. CAI, 180 t-stat and catch can are coming soon. Really want some Amp Power Steps but that will have to wait. I blame ELD 44 personally. Every time he does a mod, I want it. :shy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.