DODGE RAM FORUM banner

dana 60 alxe build up help

873 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TRCM 
#1 ·
I'm starting a build up on a pair of dana 60 axles out of a 97 dodge ram , im wanting to convert them to 35 spline shafts , and arb air lockers front and rear , 5.13 gears. i want to keep the cad unit but change it over to a cable style . Ive been looking up axles on the web just wanted some help as to what exactly to buy or what would be a good choice and do I need to change just the outer stub shafts on the front or do i need to change the inners as well? What all do i need for the 5.13 gears . what the stock carrier work or does the arb replace the carrier all together this is my very first axle build up and im wanting to do it right so im just asking you guys what you think would be the best way to go about it but all in all i wana end up with strong shafts and u joints, 5.13 gears and arb lockers as this truck will be driven on the road some also not just offroad . thanks

#2 ·

The ARB replaces the stock carrier.If your going to invest in 35 spline shafts i wouldn't keep the cad you might as well go all the way and remove it and get the free spin manual lock out hubs just my opinion.i've got 5.13 gears and 35 spline chromo shafts in mine but I run 43" tires and i beat on it pretty hard.what size tires are you going to run?I've set up a few axles so if you have any questions feel free to p.m. me.Good luck.

#3 ·
What 97 did these come out of ? Not to many had a 60 front and rear...most had a 60 front and 70 rear

Not sure where you are, but I have some rear d60 axle shafts & a spool that are brand new I need to get rid of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.