DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Kicker with stock power vs. Alpine system

10K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Graygoose 
#1 ·
Hi there, I'm new to Rams and this forum so if this question has been answered i apologize.

I'm picking up my 1500 Sport Crew Cab this week. I was able to find one with every option that I wanted EXCEPT for the upgraded Alpine system. Now as i wait to take ownership of my truck, I'm completely obsessed with trying to improve the sound without putting in a full after-market system.

My Questions:

1) Do the Kicker/Mopar upgrade speakers provide an improved sound with the STOCK system (not the Apline system)? I definitely don't want to install an amplifier for the speakers or face unit as I like the uConnect 8.4 AND I'm trying to leave the car as close to stock as possible. I've purchased an extended warranty and the folks at the stealerships like to look for any excuse not to cover a repair. Basically, does the stock Connect 8.4 head unit provide enough power to the speakers that the kickers speakers would be a justifiable up grade.

2) When mated to the stock uConnect 8.4 head unit. how do the Kicker speakers AND Kicker sub woofer compare to the factory Alpine system?

Thanks for the Help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Kicker amp for the front isnt fully developed yet, and it will be for the base audio.
Now the Kicker/Mopar speakers will be huge upgrade over factory stockers.
The Kicker sub will plug and play in that truck, it's a 200w 10", Alpine is 150w 8"...so more lowend.

#8 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Will these improve my already great sounding Alpine 10 speaker system in my Longhorn? I figure if it makes it sound even better then it should blow me away. What about the rear door speakers and head liner speakers? And what about them being 4 ohms impedance whereas mine are 2 ohms. On occasion I feel mine could sometimes be louder. I certainly don't wan't to loose any volume.

#19 ·
Last I heard, the Powergate was going to be available late February, early March for the Non-Alpine Ram's... they are currently just buttoning up the harness for it- is this correct?

#20 ·
Just finished my install.. Went with the kicker sub from hifi 414. Out the door... Added 4 JBL 938, pair of infinity reference, kicker center, and replaced the headliner speakers with JBL 19t tweeters. Sounds great on the highs and mids but I am unsure about the sub. The bass seems "flabby" not as tight as the Alpine. I think the set up will be even better with the kicker 4.1 ... If and when it ever comes out for the 13+.

Questions-- will the sub tighten up in time? Any recommendation on improving the output?

#22 ·
my truck came with the alpine system and i upgraded the sub with the kicker upgrade

and i,m returning it, it dosent sound very good when you puch it loud vs the alpine
the kicker sounds when you push it loud, like a plastic box that whants to blow up

for the price of the kicker sub by a box that is made to perfectly fit at the same palce (available on internet ) and get a aftermarket sub and amp, it will play way better and cheapper

for the doors speakers i have not change them so i dont know

hope this helps

#26 ·
Yeah, can some one please verify what impedance the mopar kicker upgrade speakers are? Keep hearing they are 4 ohm and also hear they are 2 ohm like the alpines they are suppose to replace. Which is it?

77kick42, 2 or 4 ohm?

77kick41, 2 or 4 ohm?

Also, the kicker upgrade amp for the 2013+ we are waiting on, is it for the base systems or alpine systems? Graygoose can you please clear this up?

#28 · (Edited)
Yeah, can some one please verify what impedance the mopar kicker upgrade speakers are? Keep hearing they are 4 ohm and also hear they are 2 ohm like the alpines they are suppose to replace. Which is it?

77kick42, 2 or 4 ohm?

77kick41, 2 or 4 ohm?

Also, the kicker upgrade amp for the 2013+ we are waiting on, is it for the base systems or alpine systems? Graygoose can you please clear this up?
They are 4 ohm, but I will verify.
Yes, we will have upgrade for both when available.

Edit, ok, they are 3.3 ohm, so 4ohm nominal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.