DODGE RAM FORUM banner

The Flowmaster frustration is over!!!!!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Several months ago a Flowmaster Delta 40 was installed on my truck, it was supposed to have been a Magnaflow. Muffler shop refused to change it saying they knew what was best. They would only do it for an additional 200.00 stating they would have to rebend the rear tailpipes. I said no. Guess what? Took it to another shop, used a Magnaflow 14 inch(as it was closest in size to Flowmaster) installed for 60.00. No rebend of pipes was necessary, system is as straight as it was before. I never had anything bad to say about Flowmaster, Its just not what I wanted. After having both now, I can say this, the fm is definately louder, at all times, the magnaflow has none of the drone at highway speeds(perfect) At full throttle, in my opinion the magnaflow sounds as great if not better than the fm. There is a DEFINITE seat of the pants difference, especially from a standing stop. I am glad I am able to have system I initially wanted, thanks to all of you for your previous replies. MERRY CHRISTMAS, Doubledeuce

#2 ·
Your results with the FM may not be unusual. I was going with an FM that was recommended by FM for the hemi. I thought a larger chambered muffler might not be as loud. I started reading similar reports of more in-cab noise and more noticeable drone with MDS and the FM. The guy at the muffler shop, who did not sell me my muffler, even commented that he had more after-installation complaints of unfavorable noise from the FM's more than any other muffler. And he definitely warned me about removing the resonators on the hemi Ram. He described some of the hemi Rams with FM's and resonators removed as often making a very irritating sound...outside to the public and inside to the driver.

Just speculation on my part here, but I'm suspicious that some chambered mufflers like the FM actually may transmit more sound into the bed of a pickup and then into the cab. The sound waves are being "broken up" or redirected in the muffler, whereas a Magnaflow or Borla keeps the sound waves flowing through the system. In a pickup with a bed and less sound deadening material, this may be an issue. Glad you're liking your Mag setup.

#3 ·
I remember your earlier thread about this.

Good to hear that you finally have what you originally wanted. It's too bad the muffler shop took upon themselves to give you what 'they' wanted instead of what you asked for. IMO, it's not their position to make that decision, but rather make a recommendation and then proceed with what 'You' ordered.

Hope this correction helps in making the holiday season the best it can be for you. :smileup:

#6 ·
glad you got it all figured out..one of my earlier exhaust setup was with a flow 50 delta series..sounded great at start up, idle and part throttle...but when I'd go wot it just sounded different then what I was expecting let alone it was loud in the cab. One day I just couldn't take it anymore and decided to do a big mag (22") and I couln't believe how quiet it was in the cab, I absolutely loved it, didn't have to crank the radio up, had decent convos in the truck without having to raise my voice and the sound was totally muscular...I added cutouts for the times I get into that nasty mood and want everyone to know yea, "It's Gotta Hemi!!"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA_MFYFOPCI

#7 ·
Man!...that did sound nasty!...LOL! Just for clarification, was that recording in the cab or outside, and was that the FM or the cutouts? Either way it was fairly wicked. That would give me a headache if done for any length of time...but cool...LOL!

#8 ·
that was incab, windows open while driving..you can tell when I open them as it reverberates incab before i give it a stab...and that's with the magnaflows... and yes, that's why I only do it for very short periods of time..I love driving long distances and the only time a loud muffler and/or cutouts sound good is when your nailing it...normal driving would get old quick if it were that loud all the time..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.