DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dodgeramhemi09 
#1 ·
I have a very simple question I hope. I have a 09 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. All I want to do is switch out the stock muffler for a Magnaflow. I do not wanna wake up the neighbor hood. I was some more growl when I get on the gas.
So what size Magnaflow muffler should I be looking for?
Is this a simple loosen the clamps and install the new muffler?
Do I have to buy adaptor pipes to step up or down to different size pipes?

thanks again

I tried the search feature but it brought up everything except what I was looking for.

#2 · (Edited)
Not sure on the instal, would depend on if your system is welded or clamped. I would guess welded. There are a TON of threads on Exhaust in the 5.7L mod section.

I just took off the 18" Magnaflow and went back to stock. The sound was great, the drone and what it sounded like when MDS kicked in wasn't, I live in the mountains of VA so MDS would come in and out going down the interstate, was more then I could take. If it was me I would go with the biggest one they make but it all depends on the sound you like. The 18" was nice, wasn't ear shattering or anything, nice rumble and good sound when you get on the gas. I have about the same as you, 2009 with hemi and stock duals coming out the back in the bumper. BigHorn package.

#7 ·
Look into the mufflex, its a magniflow muffler with pipes welded on so its a direct fit. No welding, can be done in your driveway with basic tools. I have done two by myself, my truck and my dads truck. Took less then an hour and haven't had any problems, very happy with it.

#8 ·
The 18" Magnaflow...and that should be 18" at the body...should be similar to my 19" Borla...same straight-through design with a split to the dual outlets. The resulting sound is very nice and mellow, not offensive.

Your '09 and my '12 should be identical on the exhaust. I considered doing a DIY bolt-up doing just the muffler like your thinking about it. You may want to get it welded, however, to address the hangar issue for your muffler. You noticed the nice welded-on factory hanger on your OEM muffler? You can't really duplicate that without welding something similar on to the Magnaflow you replace it with. That factory hanger is superior to anything that most of us would have on a DIY. Welding is the best and easiest step for addressing this hanger. So, for just a few minutes and a few bucks more you get a nicely sealed, welded muffler, and the muffler shop will address that lengthened piece of 3" pipe before the muffler that's needed.

I would definitely leave the resonators on. Most who leave the resonators on don't experience the drone Scooter described. Even the guy at the muffler shop who welded up my muffler suggested leaving them on.

The Mufflex system is a great setup. It's probably not that different from just doing a muffler as far as performance goes, but it's a home bolt-on setup if you want to go that way. However, the price is going to be higher than buying a muffler and having it welded on...or it should be. I bought my Borla muffler for $99 through Summit and had it welded on for $60.

#9 ·
I agree with TNC , leave the resonators on , they are not restrictive and although a few like the sound with them off. The majority of people that remove them end up being unhappy, also a bed cover helps with the cab noise , if you have one or plan on getting one. As far as the mufflex bolt on , I actually like the bolt on because it is a DIY and if I ever plan on pulling it I wont have to cut anything. As long as you check for leaks and adjust upon installing them, then & check re-tq after they get warm and cool down, then again after a few days , they seal fine.

#10 ·
The stock muffler on your 09 is clamped on....loosen the clamps, give it a few twists and it should slip right off with no problems...

I put the 4 inch mufflex kit with the magnaflow muffler on and have had it on for close to 3 yrs now....It isnt loud when your putting around but it gives a nice roar when you "get on it"......The mufflex kit contains everything you need...you might want to use an air ratchet when you tighten the new muffler on though to make sure you have a good seal....Mufflex also sells a muffler delete setup that eliminates the muffler totally...This would give you the most aggressive sound....Dont take off the resonators. They help to "tune" the sound of the exhaust in my opinion. With the resonators taken off it sounds not as controlled and more like running open pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.