DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Flowmaster

804 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  teenRam 
#1 ·
About to add a 50 series hd three chamber flowmaster does anybody have one or any advice

#3 ·
welcome to the forum...glad to have ya aboard!!!!

#6 ·
I've seen lots of comments on this forum about the chambered mufflers...mainly Flowmaster...resulting in some unpleasant cab noise in the pickups. I was considering going with an FM before reading those posts. Even the guy at the muffler shop I used to weld in my Borla muffler said the FM was very sensitive to some annoying noises, especially as it related to pipe length, lack of resonators, and exit locations. The muffler guy had me buy the muffler I wanted for him to install, so I know he didn't have much of a motive to steer me in any particular direction.

Frankly I was concerned about the straight-through designs like the Magnaflow and Borla, but in retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have. My Borla has been a very pleasant surprise, and I would expect basically identical results with the Mag. I have a theory based strictly on speculation about the Flowmaster. Many car guys seem to like the Flowmaster, but I'm wondering if there is a dynamic occuring with the pickups. I'll bet our pickups don't have the level of sound deadening material and such to deal with exhaust noise, and having an all metal bed may aggravate the situation even more. A straight-through muffler like a Mag or Borla may keep the sound and gas flow moving in a more uniform manner, whereas a chambered muffler starts disrupting the sound inside the muffler body. With the muffler body under the metal bed of the truck, and the fact that pickups might not have as much sound deadening in the cab, perhaps the chambered design resonates more sound to the truck cab, hence producing some unwanted cab noises.

Just a theory on my part, but what the heck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.