DODGE RAM FORUM banner

exhaust cutout questions

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Zlow28 
#1 ·
first off does anyone know what size pipes the stock ones are? also has anyone installed cutouts on their truck if so whats your opinion of them?

#2 · (Edited)
They are 2 1/2 before the retarded Y-pipe and muffler. I pondered them myself but with Texas being one of the more strict states on that kind of stuff it may not pass emissions just by having them alone. (DFW area anyways) I noticed you are in San Antonio that is why I pointed that out. I had them on an old project car I was working on until I moved to Texas and one of the Douche Bags at Frisco Automotive wouldn't pass it on that and my Hood Scoop/ram box setup because of no EGR valve. He told me he could possibly overlook the EGR Valve but the cutouts had to go. (It was a 1970 Maverick 2-door with a 390 :git:)

#3 ·
ive had them on my past three vehicles one of which was an 05 ram daytona and the last one being an 08 mustang gt. ive never had a problem passing emissions but i wasnt as impressed with the daytona cutouts as the mustang but ive been hearing the exhaust output is higher on the new rams

#4 ·
Before the y pipe is 2.5", but it would be hard to put cutouts there. After the y pipe is 3", and it would be easy to install one there. Plus being one pipe it'd be cheaper than installing two cutouts before the y pipe. I don't know why there would be an issue with emissions...?

#5 ·
They are drinking Hatorade here in the DFW area over emissions. It cost $39 to get it done and it takes almost an hour once they get your car hooked up to their equipment. I remember living in Louisiana and the only thing that mattered is whether your lights, turn signals and horn worked. If you were a real as to the inspector he would look at your tires for excess wear. I don't know how inspections are is outside the DFW area though. :4-dontknow:

#6 ·
^The strictest I thought was when they stick a probe in the exhaust pipe, and it doesn't take long. Here in FL, you can run with open manifolds, no hood, fenders, or bed, and 4x4's as bumpers(pressure treated, of course, as they are exposed to moisture :) ) and you probably wouldn't get pulled over (I knew a guy who did so for months haha)

#10 ·
Go for DMH electric cutouts. They are great and have heard nothing but good reviews on them. They also have a great warranty, which is really important for anything electric under a truck. However DMH will only sell the electric valve without the actual cutout pipe. As far as the actual cutout, go for QTP. Also a great brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.