DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Whats the difference?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here and I was wondering what is the diffrence between managa flow exhaust and going to my local muffler shop and haveing them put 2 1/2 duals from the cat back with 4" tips on my 03 5.7 hemi? Witch do you think I will get the biggest gain from all I have done to the truck so far is a bbk CAI thank you

#2 ·
As far as power gains, a lot might depend on the muffler(s) your shop will use if they do the whole job. You've done a CAI, so the next logical step is the exhaust. There can be a lot of variables on the outcome depending on what the muffler shop will use and how they do it.

#3 ·
I'm not sure about your year, but on the 4th gen trucks the exhaust are stainless steel and mandrel bent from the factory. A simple muffler swap would result in a great exhaust. If you take it to a local shop you would be paying them to install non stainless steel (almost certainly) and crush bent pipe (almost certainly) which would not last as long or perform as well. Also, a straight through type muffler like magnaflow will outperform a chambered muffler like flowmaster every time...

#4 ·
I'm not sure about your year, but on the 4th gen trucks the exhaust are stainless steel and mandrel bent from the factory. A simple muffler swap would result in a great exhaust. If you take it to a local shop you would be paying them to install non stainless steel (almost certainly) and crush bent pipe (almost certainly) which would not last as long or perform as well. Also, a straight through type muffler like magnaflow will outperform a chambered muffler like flowmaster every time...
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. On a Gen 4 like mine, I did just what you suggested, and that is a great bang-for-the-buck mod by just going with the muffler. I noticed his was an '03, so I wasn't very familiar with the setups available on those models. I was wondering if the OP's truck has an OEM exhaust like "maddog". If so, that was a nice exhaust setup done at a muffler shop that he had done for dual rears with one muffler.

#5 ·
^yeah I think the early 2000's rams did not have the same exhaust as the 4th gens. I know my dad's 2005 is different than mine, although I can't remember what was different (diameter....material....bends...?).

#9 ·
Post a link to their product. OBX is very good for how inexpensive they are. They have quality where it counts like thick flanges that won't warp and good quality stainless that will last. There are better, but I would buy OBX (I am trying to get them to develop shorty's for the 4.7L) they are a great bang/buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.