DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Borla vs magnaflow?

13K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Borla is $99 from summit and the Magnaflow 14in is $89.

Lets hear what you guys think I should go with.
I also will by purchasing a raceland cutout. Torn between the two mufflers though!

#2 ·
Borla is $99 from summit and the Magnaflow 14in is $89.

Lets hear what you guys think I should go with.
I also will by purchasing a raceland cutout. Torn between the two mufflers though!
Here's a recent link just down the page. I used the Borla on my Express and have been totally happy with the results. The sound is great, and the quality is too. Nothing wrong with Magnaflow either. I currently have a Magnaflow on a Chevy van I own. They're both good products.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97296

#4 ·
They are pretty similar in design, both will sound similar and perform similar. Up to me? I'd go with price as both are great products. I've even found "knock off" magnaflow SS mufflers on ebay and such that are like half the price and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

#8 ·
I left the resonators on mine, and the system sounds very good. Some of this is going to be very preferential. As already pointed out, the two mufflers are very similar in design, and it will probably be the length that will have the biggest impact on sound. One thing I did like about the Borla for my Express over the Mag was the 5" center-to-center sizing on the outlets which made fitment to my dual tailpipes an exact fit. However, a decent muffler shop shouldn't have much trouble with making the 4" center-to-center measurement on Mag outlets line up for the OEM tailpipe positions.

#13 ·
i was in the same boat when i get back and im thinking im just going with a cat-back borla.... i mean when it comes to the prices being the same saying hey ive got a borla, just IMO sounds so much more BA the nive got a magnaflow.... just my 2 cents

#15 ·
Yeah, on the models with already existing dual tailpipe setups, just a high quality muffler swap will be an economical performance booster as well as a nice sound improvement. I'm relatively sure you're going to have to go with headers, y-pipe, and the whole shootin' match to really get much more improvement as far as the exhaust goes.

Firewire, were you looking at the muffler body measurements or the the whole length including inlet/outlet pipes? I used the 19" model...muffler body measurement...and the sound is perfect...not too loud, not too quiet. Even my wife isn't turned off by it...LOL!

#16 ·
Yeah, on the models with already existing dual tailpipe setups, just a high quality muffler swap will be an economical performance booster as well as a nice sound improvement. I'm relatively sure you're going to have to go with headers, y-pipe, and the whole shootin' match to really get much more improvement as far as the exhaust goes.
Well also even on the single tailpipe it makes for a great exhaust. A 3" single in/3" single out like I will do will perform great. Probably a hair worse than the oem duals though.

I agree the headers are the largest gain, then muffler, the rest is small really, but add it all together and it can make a noticeable improvement.

#18 ·
I don't know, SilverHemi, that sounds like a lot of money for the parts and work in your scenario. When you look at a product like the Mufflex w/Mag muffler, tailpipes, and all, you're looking at about $240 in the product. I realize that particular system is for the '09 and later Rams. Did I see someone on the forum recently comment how this or a similar system would still fit the prior generation Ram with just a little tweaking? I still say the setup maddog did to his previous generation Ram was darned nice, and I'm not sure it cost that much.

#20 ·
Actually i got qouted about 100-150 bucks for just replacing the old with the new so if i got a y-pipe and a muffler which i would be going dual out vrs. single out it would run me about 130 bucks so then u figure i need to buy the tips for the dual exhaust which would need some new piping from the muffler out cuz its a single out now stock....it would run me total about 500 bangos with everything..... Now jsut a cat-back borla single in dual out with tips is 630..... so really its only 130 bangos more for a full borla..... im goign with borla and basically ill be setup to jsut add headers when im financially ready
So you have a single exit exhaust and want to convert to duals? Ok then yeah a cat back or the oem duals would be good. What I meant was that you could replace just the muffler in either the single or dual exit oem exhaust and save a bunch of money but gain a lot of performance, equal to the cat backs. But if you really want the look of the duals then that's up to you. I would go with the oem duals as they are mandrel and SS, not the shops non SS and crush bent pipe. If you can't find oem then do the cat back. They will perform equal but you should save some money buying a barely used stock dual system.

#23 ·
yeah i feel that just getting the stupid full system now will pay divet ends later without havign to mess with it plus the truck was on the coast for most of its life so the exhaust system on there now is so badly rusted i feel just replacing all of it wold be beneificial..... but how much work would need to be done to just add some LT later??

#24 ·
To add LT's you'd have to eliminate or relocate the cat's (and deal with O2 simulator's, or an engine light) and you won't pass emissions if that's an issue if you eliminate them. Then you have to get a shop to connect from the LT's to the y pipe. They will almost certainly used crush bent pipe.

#26 ·
Figure a couple hundred bucks to have a shop finish it up if you drive it in with the headers installed. This assumes you eliminating the cats. Then you'll have a CEL or can try making O2 simulators for just about $10 or so...

#28 ·
It is illegal to run without cats. I recommend running cats, but I was just saying that above because most people eliminate them. You could reuse them behind the LT's and should have no issues. There's a possibility still of a CEL though with the LT's. Also, if you install the LT's then drive to the exhaust shop with no other pipe after the collectors, you will most likely ruin the upstream O2 sensors and they would need replaced after the exhaust is finalized. That's another $100 probably, maybe more.

#30 ·
Just did some on line muffler browsing.
Summit price for Borla is best deal at $99.
I'm in Canada, so I checked prices from a Can dealer, $216 to $247!
I also checked some other US places. Over $200 at Jegs.
I am going to order from Summit.
I live less than 1 hr from Port Huron MI, so will have it shipped there and pick it up. I'll have to pay duty,but that shouldn't be much $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.