DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow 12388 vs 12588

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Brutus 
#1 ·
Hey all. Was originally going to go with mufflex 24" for my truck but from what I read, it seems I should be able to save about $100 buy just buying the muffler (~$100) and getting a local shop to install for about $50.

I used to have a FlowMaster 40 series on my 05 Hemi and it was just obnoxiously loud. Want to get a bit deeper tone than stock and that true rumble at WOT but still be practically unnoticable on the highway and not wake up the neighborhood when I go into work in the morning. For that reason I want to stay with the longer length muffler.

My question is there a big difference between these two mufflers?

I know the 12588 is only 22" long but does have a wider body (5" x 11")and the 12388 (same as mufflex 24" I believe) is 24" but more narrow body (5" x 8")

Thanks

#2 ·
Exhaust

I can't comment on the difference between the two mufflers. I have the Mufflex 24" on mine and it is great. It is noticeable at startup and idle not overly load on the road unless you nail it. One thing you will want to do is replace the factory Y pipe as it is very restrictive on the passenger side of the exhaust. In fact once I replaced mine it quited the exhaust a little more. Definitely runs smoother now.

#3 ·
I pondered doing the y pipe but also heard that it is also not a one for one swap and requires some custom piping and can potentialy affect warranties. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I also had a shop weld in the 24" muffler and the y -pipe. Actually will keep your tranny cooler because the stock one runs right across the trans fluid pan and he re-routed the new one away from it. Sound is perfect for me - noticeable on acceleration and quiet on freeway

#5 ·
I have never paid any attention to the exhasue system of our trucks so I really don't know what it looks like and most ot the posted picture don't show up over here. Is there significan modification required for the new y-pipe?

#6 ·
Purchase the 12388 muffler and 10778 Y -pipe ($25) and have a good shop install.
They will remove the old y from the cats to the muffler and bend up some new pipe
to run to the new Y and new muffler, I think the labor was around $200
Here is before and after y pics - huge restriction in factory piece

#8 ·
My interent viewing out here is very restricted so any pictures posted via picture hosting sites I can not see (can only see those uploaded directly to forum) so I don't know what it look like underneath there. How close to the cats would I have to get when swapping out the y-pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.