DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.7 Hemi cat and mufflers insides removal

32K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Ramathorne 
#1 ·
One of my cats is bad and not sure which one but long story short is it possible to remove guts from cats and muffler and not though a code on dashboard?

1. If i gut all three will I throw a code?

2. If removing guts from cats will throw a code can I at least remove baffles out of muffler for louder exhaust?

Any info welcome: Thankyou

#4 ·
It is possible to remove the guts of the cats, you can either use a air hammer with a long chissle (best options) or a hammer and a peice of pipe.

In order to keep the computer from throwing a code, you can always install a spark defouler between the down stream O2 sensor and the exhaust pipe. Just drill out the inside of the Defouler to permit the O2 to fit, makeing sure not to drill all the way through.

I've used this method for years on varies different vehicles. But remember that you will not pass a exhaust gases inspection. So as long as your local DMV just plugs into the OBD port to check for emmissions you will be fine.

#7 ·
Okay, you got me. What is a spark defouler?
Any autoparts store should carry them. They come in a pack of two (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...r&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=730544_0_0_), typically a 3/8 drill bit is just big enough to allow the O2 sensor to be installed.

Another option if your just looking to replace your CATS is this http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=572&osCsid=dac71313bbf358c8f0dc884e5e084076. A buddy of mine had these installed on his drag car in order to maintain his "Street Legal" status for competition. The only thing I will worn you about (and its the same for any CAT delete) is your truck will be stupid loud under deceleration.

#6 ·
Instead of gutting everything why not install some new stuff? You can get some high flow cats for a decent price and that wont throw any codes and it wont give you any problems. You can also get a muffler for a good price and that will keep within the laws and give you the sound and performance that you want.

You can also look at getting an electric cutout to bypass the muffler all together to really open her up

#11 ·
here is a lil soultion, fake o2 sensors, they basically send false signal to your tipm and pcm to keep from setting codes, and yes the loss of back pressure will cause a loss of tq but not hp. but a 36-40 inch glass pack ( not used as muffler) will creat a lil back pressure. so bassically would go like this. headers, lil bit of pipe, fake o2, fake cat, another fake o2, some more pipe, glass pack, some more pipe, then your muffler. but this is LOUD as hell. I have not seen this on anything 06 and newer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.