DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Question about Flowmaster or other exhaust on 4th gen

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Canadian Hemi Pride 
#1 ·
Does anybody have a flowmaster 40, 44 or 10 series with the factory dual tail pipes? Just wondering how it sounds. Would the resonators in the factory pipes along with one of those loud mufflers be about the same as the quieter muffler and straight through pipes of the cat back? :4-dontknow: I'd like it to be pretty aggressive and I also wouldn't mind saving a few bucks getting a muffler installed rather than buying the cat back. Or is there another good choice for exhaust?

#2 ·
Remove the resonator while doing the muffler.. makes the sound much better. I don't have the duels but with my single super 44 I have ran straight muffler swap with resonator and stock pips, chopped 2" after the muffler dumping under the box and then resonator deleted and all mandrel pipe back from the muffler to a 5" tip.. For sure the best sound. A resonator only really works with the stock muffler to help kill sounds the muffler misses... It just quiets aftermarket exhausts.

#7 ·
I'm not sure I can remove the resonators on mine it's different than my 07 that had only one that looked like another muffler..these are smaller and right towards the end if the pipes...I've had 40, 44 and now 10 series on my mustang and I know they're about the loudest thing besides a straight pipe so I'm thinking maybe the resonators would make them just slightly quieter? I would only leave the ones right at the end I would take any other resonators out that may be in there

Attachments

#9 ·
I guess I'll probably give that a try and if it doesn't do it for me I can just get new pipes made. Thanks guys!

#11 ·
Sounds good Arth! Was there any trouble with the pipes lining up to the muffler? Are the outlets on the flowmaster the same distance apart as the stock one? That was my main concern I didn't want them not ending up right under the cutouts in the bumper or needing custom hangers made.

Also does anybody know what the difference is between the delta 40, super 40 and original 40? I'm sure it can't be that noticeable between the three. Also still debating a 44 or 10 as well....

#13 ·
Thanks Canadian hemi pride good info. I'm thinking I'll try the super 40. Lots of good sounding vids on YouTube of those. I think the 44 may be just a little loud and crackly for a daily driver pickup. Plus I think the 50HD comes with the catback so the super 40 being louder should compensate for leaving the resonators in

#15 ·
Lol just saw on that chart that the super 40 works well with 4/6 cyl too...might not sound so bad with the MDS...not :LOL:

#17 ·
If you hear a RAM going by at 35 MPH with a louder muffler and the MDS is engaged it sounds horrible. A ricer sounds better. There are 2 RAMS around here that have the louder muffler system that cruise alot, you can hear them 3 blocks away. Blaapp, Blaapp, Blaapp, Blaapp.

#19 ·
The only time I ever noticed bad MDS droan is when I cut the exhaust 2-4 inches after the muffler and had it dumping under the bed where it echoed terribly. I have never heard a single complaint or bad thing about cruising with MDS on, and all my friends drive chevs and try to pick on my truck with anything possible.. So I am sure they would love to point it out any chance they can. Can't count how many times I have heard bout the 5 bolt patttern and can throw some civic rims on..

I currently have MDS turned off anyways with a performance tune, so no droan at all lol.

#18 ·
I put a FM40 on my 2012 1500 lone star and i couldn't be happier with the sound of it. on heavy acceleration, it'll definitely open up and you can't help but grin. the drone is really not that noticeable with MDS. This is the video that helped me make up my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8rTykfXnw . the best part, is when you're going about 35, and you floor it, it'll drop to first and you can wake the dead :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.