DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Am i the only one with a pentastar v6???

89K views 268 replies 116 participants last post by  Bigman00214 
#1 ·
There has to be someone else out there who loves their v6. post some pics here and show some love!!!

#13 ·
I'm curious about this as well. I plan on going with the V6 when I pull the trigger, but I'm actually trying to decide between 3.21 or 3.55. I don't plan on towing really at all, but I also don't have a very flat drive to work...so I'm not sure which to go with. So yes...on top of what MPG is like, what is your driving habits like / are you on very flat land or got some hills to contend with?

#14 ·
I'm curious as to the reviews of the new V6 also. I love my 3.7L, no regrets about not going with a V8 for me! Don't feel bad man, there's not many of us 3.7's on here, either lol! :)

- Cajun

#15 ·
Just test drove the V6 SLT. Engine was great, did not feel wanting. Great pick up and go. At 75mph got 21mpg average, pushed to 80mph, than mixed driving, parked and gave me an average of 20.5mpg. Drove the same way I drive my Taco, , which gives me 17mpg.
The only problem is the trim level, plain and 4x4 not available yet.
As soon as 4x4 becomes available I'm getting one. They think that a V6 Laramie will be coming soon. ;)

#18 ·
I would not ever get 3.21. You'll get the same mpg with 3.21 or 3.55(and honestly probably 3.92 too) as long as you stay at ~75mph and slower. But you're city mpg will improve with numerically higher gearing. I've been experimenting with locking out 6th gear and cruising at 70mph in 5th which is roughly the same final ratio as cruising in 6th with 4.10 gears and I still get 20mpg. But if I go faster than 70mph the mpg drops off.

#20 ·
I'd suggest 3.55 or 3.92. I have 3.55 and easily get 20+mpg. I hauled ~1200 lbs in my quad cab from FL to TN to AR and back to FL last july in 110 deg F heat, cruising at 75mph most of the trip(through all the mountains) and got 20mpg avg over the 2600 miles. Best I've done is like 22mpg unloaded at a slower speed on flat ground. Like I said I am switching to 4.10's because I almost never cruise above 70mph and NEVER cruise above 75-80mph and from the experimenting I've done it won't effect my mpg. I just won't be able to get 22mpg at 75mph anymore. But my city mpg will improve.

If I were getting an 8 speed I'd still choose 3.92. At the least 3.55. I wouldn't even consider 3.21, just doesn't make any sense, it's like shooting yourself in the foot.

#22 ·
mine came with 3.21 and it has plenty of pickup. i haul around 300-400 pounds of tools and ladders and drive 70 mph for 4-5 hours straight. i get anywhere from 21.5-22.5 mpg. my last truck was a 2012 4x2 4cyl tacoma 5speed manual and it got 20-21 mpg under the same conditions. so just to be clear.... the dodge ram, with twice the horspower, 2 extra cylinders, and 50% more total weight, gets BETTER gas milage than the Toyota.

and thats why i bought it

#23 ·
mine came with 3.21 and it has plenty of pickup. i haul around 300-400 pounds of tools and ladders and drive 70 mph for 4-5 hours straight. i get anywhere from 21.5-22.5 mpg. my last truck was a 2012 4x2 4cyl tacoma 5speed manual and it got 20-21 mpg under the same conditions. so just to be clear.... the dodge ram, with twice the horspower, 2 extra cylinders, and 50% more total weight, gets BETTER gas milage than the Toyota.

and thats why i bought it
You have a hemi?

Yeah my ram gets like 16-17 city and 20+ hwy with ~340hp and my s10 4 cylinder manual trans with 120hp got like 18 city 24 hwy. I'm pretty happy with my mpg.

#27 ·
LOL at rpin...

mike...your math is not correct. I am very familiar with the ratios of the 45rfe/545rfe/65rfe, the 66rfe, the 68rfe, and the new 8 speed. I don't really know what your point is, I understand the rpm differences at different rpms. The problem is that people think lower rpm = higher mpg, which is only true to a certain point. Try cruising at 600rpm and see how your mpg is with the engine lugging. I have personally verified that I get he same mpg at 70mph in 5th or 6th gear with 3.55's.

And your math is way wrong, BTW. For your calculations to be correct you need to assume a tires size of ~26", which isn't even remotely close to what's on these trucks. At 70mph in 5th gear I am at ~2,000 rpm. At 70mph in 6th ge I am at ~1700rpm. I get the same mpg either way.

Yes 3.21 will be ok, but you won't get better mpg if you don't cruise over 75mph. So why shoot yourself in the foot? Just get 3.55 or 3.92 and get the same mpg(better in the city, actually) and have more power on demand(and less strain on the drivetrain).

#29 ·
If I may.... I got a call from my dealer on Friday, so to let me know the 3.92 was no more available for my order (4X4 Outdoorsman w/ V6). Mind you, I placed that order way back in early November :wow:

Now it seems the choices are either 3.21 or 3.55 only, so I went with the 3.55... No need to chug w/ moderate towing when coupled with 3.21. I believe optimum torque will be more easily exploited with the 3.55...

#31 · (Edited)
Well I agreed 3.21's will be ok, but 3.55 or 3.92 will be better. MPG will also not be lower, so why have less torque at the wheels with the same mpg? It just doesn't make sense.

I understand that the 8 speed has lower ratios in the front end, so more torque to the wheels with the same rear gear ratio(compared the the 65rfe), but that doesn't mean that you should get 3.21. The final ratio is the same with the 8 speed and 6 sped, therefore you will not get better mpg with 3.21, just like the 6 speed, as long as you're not cruising above 70-75mph. You can get 3.21 if you want, and it will be fine, and accelerate about the same as a 6 speed truck with 3.55, but it just doesn't make sense to do that when you could have better acceleration, higher city mpg, and the same hwy mpg.

I have never seen anyone with 3.21 gearing claim the same or better mpg than I get with my 3.55's...

#33 ·
I don't have much of a review. I test drove one for about 30 minutes.

Drove a 4x2 Quad Cab with 3.55. It was a bit weird when it was getting up to speed. You could hear it switching gears almost constantly when getting up to speed (I think it had shifted 5 or 6 times by the time we hit 60 km/h).

Overall mileage I got from it for my 30 minute trip was 10.4 L / 100 km. On the highway at 118 km/h, I was at 7.7 L / 100 km, and I put the pedal to the floor a few times to get up to speed to see it's power (and it felt pretty good to me...).

I was quite impressed with it, and plan to get one as soon as I can get air suspension on an SLT.

#38 ·
There'll be three of us one day, I hope! Either this, or maybe the half ton diesel next year...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.