DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

I have now counted 7 people I know that all have new Ram trucks, 2013 and newer, all of them with the 5.7 hemi, and not a single one with any funky smell of anykind. This is the most bizarre issue I've ever heard of and am thinking that this could all be an act of a single (or even a couple of people) disgruntled saboteur? I've been around engines and various compounds all my life (all my patriarchs are motorheads, engineers and technicians) and have never encountered anything remotely like what's being described in this thread. It's just very unnatural. My sympathies to those that are dealing with this but it sure is strange there is yet no real description of how this happens.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 hemi
Trim Level: big horn
Color: blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
rcnc55 is on a distinguished road
Default THe smell

For the past couple of weeks I have noticed a burnt wire/plastic smell when I turn on the heater of my ram 2014 1500 5.7 hemi. I have about 5000 miles on it. After reading all of the posts I guess it warrants a yet another trip to dealer(mine was recalled earlier for glitchy, auto start and screen, etc..) I really hope the dealer/RAM can work it out as I would like to put about 100k miles on it before selling
Old 02-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: white
mygt8a4re is on a distinguished road

I no longer own my Ram, I sold it due to the smell issue not getting resolved over several months of trips to the dealer and my family refusing to ride in my truck because of it. I do miss the truck greatly but certainly not the smell. It appears there are several issues in terms of smells going on with the Rams but I can assure you if you have the smell that people here are talking about due to the coolant and hoses you will know it. It smells like a dead animal that has been sitting for several days! You start feeling ill from it after a while. I swore an animal crawled into an area under my hood and died and I just couldn't locate it. I would have gladly dealt with a bug spray or burnt wire smell (not that those aren't annoying, no disrespect to those) over the smell that I had in my truck! If I close my eyes and picture myself in my Ram I can honestly smell that horrible smell, it is branded into my brain...
Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 Laramie Limited
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Cherry crystal
macnamara532 is on a distinguished road

I am finally able to update a resolution to the smell problem I had in my 2014 Laramie. After doing 3 attempts at changing all the hoses, fluids, flushing with distilled water, etc., whatever the STAR case stated to do, they (Chrysler) finally TOOK BACK the 2014, and now I have a new truck. I am not taking any side, but the stress, anxiety, etc., I have gone through, along with my family, has been terrible, but at least I have a new truck.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnamara532 View Post
I am finally able to update a resolution to the smell problem I had in my 2014 Laramie. After doing 3 attempts at changing all the hoses, fluids, flushing with distilled water, etc., whatever the STAR case stated to do, they (Chrysler) finally TOOK BACK the 2014, and now I have a new truck. I am not taking any side, but the stress, anxiety, etc., I have gone through, along with my family, has been terrible, but at least I have a new truck.
I had to change out trucks to get rid of the smell too. My new 14 Laramie has 7900 Miles on it and is 8 months old NO SMELL!! I hope your new Truck does okay. Ram trucks are awesome. Its casting Debri and Chrysler will not admit it,but they know it no matter what they tell us.The Star case instructions is total BS. I think its Isolated not many out there with a Smell or Chrysler would have a class action by now. If they ever have a case I will jump on them with both feet!!

Last edited by ramit355; 02-23-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM

I remember reading about the casting debris from the manufacturing a while back in this thread, I just had trouble believing the debris that breaks away from the castings was the issue unless it clogged somthing up and caused an overheat or blockage/leaking issue. Im certainly not arguing that case, but I suspect somthing being cross contimated to cause that rancid smell! Either way, your issues are resolved. Im actually considering another Ram if the main culprit is made known and a proven fix is brought about for everyone before, during and after ownership! Congrats to those who are now free of the rancid smell!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
I remember reading about the casting debris from the manufacturing a while back in this thread, I just had trouble believing the debris that breaks away from the castings was the issue unless it clogged somthing up and caused an overheat or blockage/leaking issue. Im certainly not arguing that case, but I suspect somthing being cross contimated to cause that rancid smell! Either way, your issues are resolved. Im actually considering another Ram if the main culprit is made known and a proven fix is brought about for everyone before, during and after ownership! Congrats to those who are now free of the rancid smell!
I think its very few units that have the casting debris that is reacting with the new coolant and your not ever going to see Chrysler admit it and take the honest approach to solve the issues or help their Customers who solved it on their own. Casting debris will not cause Clogging until these Rams have many miles on them. Chrysler will have the motors coming back on them,buts its so very few they would rather replace motors later or flush blocks cheaper than replacing trucks like they should now. Its a real shame too because Rams are an awesome truck and Chrysler has always been great to deal with except for the Stink Issue. They won't give you time of day for the Stink issue.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Grey
Rep:18
Speedyb is on a distinguished road

The only thing my 3 month old Sport has is a really strong new car smell. Stronger than any new vehicle I have owned in the past. The smell is that typical plastic, glue, upholstery odor.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyb View Post
The only thing my 3 month old Sport has is a really strong new car smell. Stronger than any new vehicle I have owned in the past. The smell is that typical plastic, glue, upholstery odor.
Enjoy it while you can before you get used to it or it fades over time!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Grey
Rep:18
Speedyb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygt8a4re View Post
Enjoy it while you can before you get used to it or it fades over time!
very true.