DODGE RAM FORUM banner

'14 Sport CC GCM going GREY&BLACK

10K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  RAMWake2014 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Z! Bought my new Ram Sunday and easing into modifications, so I thought it would be only right to do a thorough mod post with pics, as I learned everything I could ever need to know about Rams and their mods from this forum

One thing I read quite a bit was how people wished they had taken more pictures of their truck fresh from the dealer and pre-mod. Also I remember when I was shopping around for my Ram I scoured the internet and forums for hours looking for real life, regular people pictures of a grey ram sport. So my first post in this thread is of a nice drive I took today, at the top of some windy roads after testing my truck out. Took some pics to share my pre-mod, fresh off the lot Ram truck.

Details on the truck:
2014 Ram Sport Crew Cab, 4x2, Granite Crystal Metallic
3.92 axle, no tow package (mirrors/brake)

See less See more
#2 ·
Tint & De-badge + B pillar tape removal

The debadge was harder than I thought, took a lot more time. but the fishing line is a good tool along with a heat gun (or hairdryer) makes it as easy as it can get.

Measured it out and documented as i plan to PD the "RAM" badges and replace

The tape residue:

Also with the new thread edit, got the b pillar tape removal done quick today thanks to the info on this site. Took no time and much improvement.

So here is before de-badge and b pillar removal:

And after it all with an added wash-clay-wash-wax-seal:

#3 ·
Everything Z

So I have a long mod list thanks to the Z. Jumped on doing my badges in PlastiDip.

Took off the RAM & HEMI badges as you can see in previous post-
Tested out making my own HEMI badge for the hood (like I have seen before here on the forums) and here is my walk through of my process:

My HEMI/5.7L badge removed. Attempted to split the HEMI and 5.7L cleanly enough to keep both. I wanted to put the 5.7L underneath my RAM driver/passenger door and place the Hemi badge on the sport hood scoop cowl.

Used a dremmel and 220 grit sandpaper to get my HEMI badge looking clean-
5.7L didn't come out clean due to the bevel its at:

Sprayed my cut and sanded H E M I (along with my 'RAM') with PD:

Placed my H E M I onto 3M and trimmed with razor blade:

Lined up and placed my HEMI badge on the sport hood using blue painters tape and measuring to make sure they were equal on both sides.

Naked hood:

HEMI hood:

Spent the majority of the day giving the paint its first wash and detail. The paint was in fairly good shape as it is brand new. But after wash clay wax and sealer, there was a significant increase in smoothness, shine and reflection.

Here we are as of now after wash and badge:

#5 ·
Thanks RansRam! not sure if I should move them up on the cowl, tried to do like the new challenger hood but couldn't get a good pic and location on the Challenger version of the HEMI badge.

#10 ·
Fade to Black

Well since I was on a roll, PD'd my RAM emblems and did my chrome grill too!

I followed DarthRam's thread: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145897

just adding some photos to the first steps he listed:

-Removing the grill:

-Labeled the diff size screws cuz that is something I would mess up:

-The back before tear down:

-Removing the mounting bracket:

- Intake scoops off (yes pulling hard was the only way), and half way through the breakdown:

- Used a rubber tip detailing tool to "sink in" the tape before paint:

- Hung the grille:

- Taped the back emblem:

- Hard to see, but with a couple coats of black PD:

--Grill Before--

--Grill After--

--Tailgate Before--

--Tailgate After--

Enough pics for ya! haha. I know I went overboard but giving back to the Z after all its taught me.
Next up gotta replace RAM emblems on side doors and then PD the wheels and paint the brake calipers red.

Until then!

#13 ·
PD rims & red brake calipers

Been anxiously waiting to get this mod done! So here it is, my steps through and my before/after of chrome rims to PD'd black, and while the wheels were off I figured I might as well do the calipers red.

THE WHEELS:

THE CALIPERS:

(tinfoil trick was nice-did I see it on here? IDK)

BEFORE/AFTER

Took all day and I'm exhausted but feels worth it-
thats it!!!! ha! got plenty more to do so subscribe if ya like and let me know what you think!

ill take some good photos after a wash n wax and post em, had to wait for the caliper paint to cure-

#18 · (Edited)
no the calipers i used the vt red brake caliper paint--took the process from searching for it on here.

it was a bit easier for me because I am still in my first 500 miles and they were clean, but cleaning and prepping are the hardest and most important for long lasting look.

I wouldn't PD these just cuz they get hot and get a lot of usage, but also don't know if anyone has done it so it could work? maybe? its worth the time to do jump on the VT bandwagon though

#17 · (Edited)
Wow fantastic job. I wish I had the patience to be so detailed. I am bias of the Granite and black look. Mine is an outdoorsman and has chrome bumpers so I left my emblems chrome. But I put black wheels and side steps on mine and love the look. Here is a link to some pics of mine if you're interested. Any thoughts that you have that might add to the look of mine would be appreciated.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=172947&highlight=outdoorsman+transformation

#20 · (Edited)
Wow fantastic job. I wish I had the patience to be so detailed. I am bias of the Granite and black look. Mine is an outdoorsman and has chrome bumpers so I left my emblems chrome. But I put black wheels and side steps on mine and love the look. Here is a link to some pics of mine if your interested. Any thoughts that you have that might add to the look of mine would be appreciated.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=172947&highlight=outdoorsman+transformation
FINN, love the truck! there is something i love about black side steps too, i just can't figure out what it is!

any thought of coming over to no-chrome club! I'll fly out and help you! haha

#19 ·
KamanHart and Kelsey THANK YOU!!!

Of course the wife has just been laughing at my obsession, she said "you are the only person that cares this much about a truck," to which of course I responded "I know some people that might care."

Took her for a drive today, my new zen---

So up next for those who are hanging around:

1. install dual liner bed liner sitting in my garage (will do today)
2. leveling
3. HEMI badges put back on w/new placement
4. black tip dual exhaust

On my wish list with no ETA:

1. BT catch can
2. Varram CAI
3. black side steps

thanks for checking out my new pride and joy!

#21 ·
KamanHart and Kelsey THANK YOU!!!

Of course the wife has just been laughing at my obsession, she said "you are the only person that cares this much about a truck," to which of course I responded "I know some people that might care."

Took her for a drive today, my new zen---

So up next for those who are hanging around:

1. install dual liner bed liner sitting in my garage (will do today)
2. leveling
3. HEMI badges put back on w/new placement
4. black tip dual exhaust

On my wish list with no ETA:

1. BT catch can
2. Varram CAI
3. black side steps

thanks for checking out my new pride and joy!
Good Grief that truck Shines! I love it! Awesome pictures too! I've been thinking about taking Silver to the state park that's nearby for some 'nature' shots..

On another note, as for putting Plasti-Dip on Calipers, PD's only rated up to 200-something degrees. I found my information here. Hope it helps!
I want to do my calipers as well... just not sure what color. :57:

Keep up the awesome work! :smileup:

#22 · (Edited)
Well how hot do calipers get lol <-- serious question
I PD'd my exhaust tips a couple months ago and still look good, not sure what the difference in temp between the two though. We'll see how it peels off though, whenever that time may be lol

Didn't say before but your truck it gorgeous!! Love the grey w/ black accents! :smileup:
I always tell people, get a shorty antennae! It makes it look sportier. Got the idea from the forum of course, your preference though!

#23 · (Edited)
Um.. Heh. I'm not actually sure. I was assuming they'd get pretty toasty. Google sure as hell didn't help. (Was getting answers from "If they're installed right, they won't get hot at all" ALL the way up to "up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit" EDIT: Rereading that last one, I realise that he was talking about rotors, not calipers. Whoops.) So... :4-dontknow: Some people apparently have fine results just using regular spray paint.

Sorry, definitely not a brakes expert :i_rolleyes:

(sorry sll00 for :threadjacked: I'll give your build thread back, I swear! :LOL: )

#24 ·
i was actually wondering if i could PD the exhaust tips----how long have yours been PD'd giles?

thanks for all the compliments. as you can see I'm obsessed with this truck and i figure now is the time to give it as much love as possible before the puppy love phase wears off.

as far as hot calipers--the VT can says that they get hot enough to cure the paint onto them, as if you were baking them in the oven----so 350? Either way you could always try the PD and then get rid of it, i just feel like rubber should melt? shouldn't it?

#25 ·
I am one of the few fans in the Chrome Club, but I must say you have done your truck tastefully. Not usually a fan of the PD, something about the way it looks when it's all dry.. but wow. Nicely done! :smileup:

#26 ·
thanks ka1ote!! your truck is very nice with all the chrome! I loved my sport and all its chrome right off the lot! in fact my friend from work has a black 2009 1500 with the "chrome package" and he asked me to help him PD it and I told him he should keep it as is cuz it looks so good.

this grey and black has just been my dream truck for a long time. trying to keep it c lose to factory with some personalization.

#31 ·
First post on the forum! Love the truck with the PD. I came across your post thru a google search, since I just bought the same exact truck but 4x4 with tow package last month and I was thinking of Plasti Dipping my wheels. Ultimately I will lift it and put 20" black wheels on 35's but for the meantime PD sounded quick and cheap until I save for the lift and wheels... weird that I'm also 32 and in CA. (Fresno). good job on the truck!

#32 ·
some changes

Thank you everyone for all the compliments! glad to hear there is another grey n black in CA. Changed a few things on the truck n thought I would update.

I bought some HEMI decals that actually go on the Jeep Wranglers and replaced them on my hood scoops. I didn't like the "3D" from my previous HEMI badge mod:

Also put a Dual Liner in the back bed, install was easy and works well. Much cheaper then rhino lining and easier to clean. Still has some settling in to do but happy with it:

#33 ·
Lookin real good!
Never seen a Dual Liner before, what's it made out of? (yeah, I could Google it... But I'll ask you first :LOL: )

I really like the new badges on the hood too! Little touches that make it look great! :D

#34 ·
the dual liner is pretty clever- its hard plastic for the rear and sidewalls (like a drop in berliner) but then the bottom mat is non skid rubber that 'snaps' into place.

really happy with it, delivered to my house for $350 :smiley_thumbs_up:

#38 · (Edited)
here is whats on order---

small mods, but all good additions-

will post finished pics when mods are here!

thanks for the reps kelsey!!!
Looks like a pretty awesome line-up to come there! :D
&Hey no problem, you earned some rep a couple times over in my book! :smileup:

#39 · (Edited)
the latest:

catch can off ebay----$120 shipped with upgraded tubing and nickel fittings. So far so good!

and i put this pick of my DZ up just to show the thickness of the washer i found to replace the one that it came with. completely eliminates the "rubbing" problem on the gate:

honeycomb grill soon

bed lights are here but haven't fully committed to the install

and I'm gonna re-PD my wheels and add a light coat of glossifier so they have a "wet look" without having to tire shine em.

stay tuned

#44 ·
the latest:

catch can off ebay----$120 shipped with upgraded tubing and nickel fittings. So far so good!

and i put this pick of my DZ up just to show the thickness of the washer i found to replace the one that it came with. completely eliminates the "rubbing" problem on the gate:

honeycomb grill soon

bed lights are here but haven't fully committed to the install

and I'm gonna re-PD my wheels and add a light coat of glossifier so they have a "wet look" without having to tire shine em.

stay tuned
Since reading this thread, i have added some new things to my slowly diminishing mod list. But just order the DZ tailgate assist!

Awesome thread and look forward to new things you might change with your build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.