DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Added a Tailgate Step Ladder.

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MrGoodbar 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking for a better way to get up into the bed of my truck with the tailgate open.

In my search I found the add on steps would cost up to $200, so I kept looking and ran across this step ladder that went on the side of an open tailgate. TraXion Model # 5-100 http://www.traxionproducts.com/inde...ticle&id=46:tailgateladder&catid=75&Itemid=73

I watched the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=na-HIANNiuA on the website and decided to order one. I found that Amazon had the best price of $38 delivered. I read the reviews found on Amazon, which were fairly good and the install problems.

I mounted the steel plate drilling the holes with a 9/32” drill bit and being careful used the supplied screws (caution the screw heads strip easily). I put some grease on the sheet metal screws so they can thread into the tailgate easy and maybe help to keep them from rusting.

I than put together the steel ladder with the supplied 3/8” bolts and locks nuts. The length of the ladder is adjustable so you can set the height of the ladder to your truck’s tailgate.

I purchased some ¾” Velcro tie down straps and used a flat washer with a screw to make my own tie down strap. I made up 2 straps to hold the ladder in place.

The ladder is held on with 2 hitch pins and comes off easily. You can also mount the ladder on either side of the tailgate. Someone mentioned that you can use the ladder as a cargo holder with the tailgate closed by adding a bungee cord to the bottom of the ladder, then to the bed tie down.

What I found were, the paint on the steel parts is thin and my rust in an open truck bed, the screw heads would strip out easily, and the tie down strap was short. I had no problem with the ladder supporting my weight and was stable on asphalt.

Aside from the above shortcomings I think the tailgate step ladder from TraXion was a good buy and a easy install.

Greg

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Great Idea, Thank you I just went to Amazon and ordered 3 of these, one for me, one for my father and one for my father-in-law for Christmas presents.. I can get in and out of the bed of my truck ok but this would make it much easier and it would be great for anyone who's getting older... Like the two men mentioned above.. I can't believe they haven't come up with this sooner, AND I can't believe they only want $36 shipped for one... Looks like a $99-$149 type item....

#7 ·
How are you liking the step so far? Thinking it may be a good present for my dad who is 63 and has back problems. be nice for him to be able to get in the bed of his truck if he needs too. also how strong is the ladder? does it give a weight limit? my dad is about 240 i think and im pushin 300 so just wondering how strong it is?

Thanks,
John

#8 ·
Personally, i would want it mounted on the passenger side, but that is a great thing for the money

i bought the DEBO STEP, it mounts real easy, but the cost is higher
i am 70, short legged & 280 lbs
would be great if i had some kind of grab handle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjbOzvuFkk

#10 · (Edited)
Well I have a bad back and have a very hard time getting in and out of the truck bed. I use to carry a 2 step, step stool which slid around in the bed, but this is attached to the tailgate and stays in place. It also mounts on either side of the tailgate and doesn't interfere with my trailer like some others which come off the back of the tailgate. I can use the bed side as a handle for balance.

I weigh 250# and it supports my weight and the tubular steel frame seams fairly substantial for being 2 steps. It sits on the ground, so it doesn't need to be made of heavy steel. It does make the tailgate heaver to close and is the only drawback so far.

I wanted one of the AMP steps, but they were $200+. This step ladder for $36 is just what I needed to access my truck bed. Girlfriend likes it also, so good by step stool.

When it comes to truck accessorizes, I buy what I think will work for my situation and budget. I was really surprised how well built and thought out this is for the price. If it gets rusty I can always sand blast it and repaint it. :smileup:

Greg

#11 ·
thanks for the info!! i think il be ordering one for my dad! :smileup:

#12 · (Edited)
looks good...i was thinking of getting it but the amp looks BAD ASS and can handle 300 lbs. Now that a Z member has endorsed it, im thinking of getting this instead.

but i weigh 300 lbs. and this ladder has a max load of 250.

anyone closer to 300 try this latter or have recommendations for one that may support me?

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.