DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4x4 Poser

7K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  double0ram 
#1 ·
I fly out to work from a heliport. This morning when I arrived at the heliport, parked directly across from me was a truck similar to mine...year, 4x4, paint color, tires...everything was quite similar. As is probably evident from my thread titled, "Factory LIFT KIT??", I have a few questions at to the history of my suspension, so as I'm looking at this guy's truck, I see a solution to my suspension questions: Climb your ass under his truck and see what his looks like. Good idea, right? Well, when I got under there, I noticed that his suspension does NOT have the lift blocks, but wait.....he's not even a 4x4, despite the decals that are proudly platered on his truck.

Then, about an hour later, this different guy drives up in a GMC "Z71" to unload his baggage prior to going park his car. The GMC looks alright, single cab, probably a 6" lift or so, on some 35s....but if you look closely at the front axle, there's no differential or anything that would resemble 4x4 components. Isn't the "Z-71" package indicate that it's a 4x4?

Anyways, is this a common occurance? People pretend that they have a 4x4???

#3 ·
Agreed ^^^^ and even though I'm not that far up the road from ya, I don't see too many "poser" trucks, but I guess my thought is, why try to be something you're not cause it sure looks silly when others find out.

- Cajun

#25 ·
To my knowledge, Chevy did make 2wd Z71's. Depending on the year, the Z71 was just a package that consisted of Bilstein shocks, skid plates and the sticker. The older Z71 did have the 4x4 on the sticker, but I think they stopped that in the early 90's. I know from 1993 - 2005 the sticker didn't have the 4x4 on it. The sticker just said Z71 off road. There were some after market stickers with 4x4 people were using on there 4x4 trucks to make people think it was a Z71. To me, that is just as bad as putting 4x4 on a 2wd truck.

#7 ·
Maybe they didn't want people to constantly whine and complain that his truck isn't 4x4 so why is it lifted. People tend to do that for no good reason.

#9 ·
doesnt make sense why someone would want to do that. if you have a 2wd and you bought it that way because thats what you wanted, by all means put a lift on it but dont put a 4x4 sticker/emblem on to try and look cool. so dumb!

lol, im guessing so many people think im a "poser" too. I have a 6" lift with 35's on my sport 4x4 but i debadged the 4x4 emblem from the tailgate. if the person doesnt know trucks and cant tell by the differentials on my truck that it is a 4x4, then oh well. debadging it makes it look cleaner.

#10 ·
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

And here I was thinking that only happened with the LXs... It seems I can throw a rock around here and hit a V6 charger that looks like either a R/T or a SRT. (and they are the same ones that always try to race me....)

G
#33 ·
LOL...nope, not just LX's. I've seen quite a few that are modded to look like an SRT. Imagine a 3.5L SXT with the SRT hood, wheels and rear wing...WTF??? LOL

And just think about all the import owners who start stacking stickers on their front fenders...now who's posin', fool??? :LOL:

#11 ·
I had a guy challenge me to a race once because my 4x4 is debadged. He said it was a 2wd 6.6 L Hemi so I HAD to race him. He said I was mistaken when I said it was a 4x4 4.7L. He said he had a turbocharged Toyota micro truck, also looked like he was a pothead.

#12 ·
Hahah that is funny. I see people do that kinda crap all the time. Like people with BMWs putting an M badge on or Mercedes drivers putting AMG. You can clearly tell they are not but they still have em. People are interesting creatures hahaha.

Just a question.....so you crawled under it to see the suspension in the airport??????

#14 ·
Man, I can't stand that kinda stuff. I don't mind lifted 2wd trucks, because they can normally get around just as fine. But when you label your vehicle something it isn't I lose all respect. I just saw a chevy silverado work truck with SS badges on it. Looked absolutely retarded.

#16 ·
When I lived in Phoenix there were a ton of poser trucks out there that never saw any more dirt than when a dust storm blew through, and there were a lot of lifted 4x2's that actually did pretty well off road... point being there was a legitimate use there for the lifted 4x2's so it made sense.

Now the guys with the huge trucks doing the mall crawling were just plain funny, but as was said, to each his own! The world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes.

#17 ·
I used to have a 4x4 shop in florida and had a guy come in with a 2wd f150 wanted a lift. No problem I did several of them. When I got done he asked me where he could get a stainless CB whip antenae and a pair of rubber boots to stick down between the cab and the bed like all the contractors had. He wanted to be a ******* so bad and he was a black dude

#18 ·
My neighbor across the street bought a new Silverado 4x4 about a week after I bought my Ram. It was black with the 18 in chromes on it. Didn't look nearly as good as mine, but it wasn't a bad looking rig. I made my way over there after a few days to check out his new Truck and he said its at the shop getting 22's put on. The next day it shows back up with some 35 series Toyo proxes on it.

In my book, this is worse than lifting an 2wd but not as bad as putting 4x4 stickers on one.

Regardless, I'm embarrassed to have that thing parked in the neighborhood.

#19 · (Edited)
I guess I'm a 2WD poser then...
but I like to think of it as a Stealth 4x4

I de-badged and dropped my 10' RCSB 4x4 Sport Hemi 2"/3"
and when I mount up my short 27" Mickey Thompson ET drag radials it drops another 3" :str:

Traction is never an issue for me at the track :D

With my Grappler's mounted for the snow/ice in the Winter I can pretty much smoke any 4x4 on the road
It's actually pretty funny when lifted 4x4's on 35's/37's think they are lined up against a 2WD R/T but get left behind doing this -> :wow:

I suppose if I put an R/T badge on the Front Grill I would be a true poser,
but ...I'm actually faster than an R/T :p So I'm putting these on instead:
Next up is a Katzkin Leather kit with Black Mamba embroidered into the upper backrest.

#20 ·
my opinion on the whole badge thing is......if your truck is not a r/t or a ss or whatever the case may be dont put the badges on there if you wanted a r/t you should of just bought one:)

#21 · (Edited)
Nothing special about an R/T ...just 4.10 Gears and a 2600 stall Torque Converter.

I NEED a 4x4 for Winter,
but Dodge doesn't make an R/T 4x4 for us Canucks.
So I took the best of both models and made my own :gy:

it was much easier/cheaper to mod a 4x4 to go faster than to add the transfer case and front drivetrain to an R/T

Nothing better than beating 4x4's on the snow and R/T's on the Track :D
...but dont worry, no stinking badges on my ride, I like the clean look.

#26 ·
thanks for the info blackramhemi!!! appreciate it....and sorry for the thread jack:)

#29 ·
thats not entirely true, I don't know anything about the z71, but the z06 vette also gets a big block, and it is actually an entirely different car, from the base platform all the way up. Also the z24 comes with i believe a 2.4L instead of the 2.2L, and like you said suspension and ground effects, etc..... (I'm a bowtie guy at heart)

#37 ·
The color of the "Z" had nothing to do with it being 4wd or 2wd. Depending on the color of the truck determined what the color of the "Z" was. My Z71 was red, so the "Z" was silver. My friends truck was silver and his "Z" was red. White and black trucks usually got red also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.