DODGE RAM FORUM banner

8.4AN upgrade, new features

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  firemarshallvin 
#1 · (Edited)
I dropped my 2013 Laramie off at the dealership to have my Bilstein 5100's installed and they decided to perform a software upgrade while they had the truck in. Overall I'm extremely pleased with the new functionality that I have, here are a few changes:

• [PRO] The voice recognition button produces a much more pleasant tone
  • [PRO] An on-screen help menu shows up when you push the call or vr buttons
  • [PRO] Via-Mobile is now supported! Prior to this upgrade I didn't have via mobile and had been under the impression that it wouldn't be available for the 2013YM
  • [PRO] New apps (via mobile): slacker, iheartradio, pandora, aha
  • [PRO] I let my SiriusXM subscription lapse, but with iHeartRadio support built-in I now have The Blaze, Mark Levin, Rushbo, etc.. and can control it from the dash and not from my phone like I had to before using just bluetooth
  • [PRO] Incoming / outgoing calls stay in the status bar and no longer switches to the phone screen by default
  • [CON] The phone screen has goofy colors for no good reason
  • [CON] 3G Status indicator is blue for some reason
  • [CON] The climate control screen has goofy colors for no good reason
  • [PRO] The map seems to keep your position towards the bottom of the screen so that the majority of the map is showing roads ahead of you and not behind you

A worthwhile upgrade indeed, I was more than pleased to find out that I can now integrate iHeartRadio and Pandora 'via mobile'. It was a good ride home, new Bilsteins and I have my liberal-bashing talk radio friends back to vent on my behalf. :smileup:

See less See more
#3 ·
To bad that you can't do something simple like move the vehicles position on your Navigation screen, like put your finger on the screen & reposition your vehicle to a more convenient place.
It would sure help when looking for a way around heavy traffic.

#10 ·
Yes 14.05.03 is the latest update. It was released on 2/25/2014.

#8 ·
Coach Borne -- though I'm not positive that this is the latest, I can say that it was just a few days ago the dealer installed the software, so unless they're behind I would assume it is. I'm also not sure if there is version / feature parity in U.S. vs Canada software.

#14 ·
Normally, I do not believe the service tech would plug their computer into the truck for just an oil change with no other service scheduled. However, if you ask them to update the radio software, when they plug in the computer it will tell them if any other software updates are needed for other modules in your truck.

#18 ·
Today I had my RAM in for an oil change and thought I would get the latest update for the radio and computer. I'm always worried about such things not turning out well and have a leave well enough alone approach, especial since I've never had any issues with computer system. Sure enough, after leaving the dealership, the system locked up and I couldn't do anything. It wouldn't even turn it off. It was a real mess!

I called the dealer and he said bring it back. I was sitting in the truck waiting for my wife before I went back to the dealer and it went black, came back on, went black again, came on, starting "thinking" and then it was fine.

Needless to say I was aggravated but am now happy (as long as it keeps working of course).

#19 ·
I've found that after several of the updates (I have done every one myself since I picked up my Ram in 04/2013) that the radio will go through a couple of reboots. After it happening the first couple of updates, it hasn't concerned me anymore when it happens. I figure it's like the Microsoft Windows updates that require you to restart your computer. My Uconnect just happens to restart when I'm driving down the road.

#20 ·
My radio just went blank, and lost communication with Sirius/XM and lost all presets for AM,FM, and phone. Dealership said it needed the 14.05.03 update. I got the update, and had to reset all presets and reassociate my phone. I used to get notified when I got a text message while driving but that no longer works. The volume is lower, and I don't care for that. I just wonder how my truck knew there was a new software update (LOL) until the truck demanded the update, I loved the features of the Uconnect 8.4AN.

#23 ·
Yes to the choppy video. Doesn't seem to be always, but it's def there and annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.