DODGE RAM FORUM banner

"Key FOB has left the vehicle"

27K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Lacey 
#1 ·
On two separate occasions over the past few weeks the truck's EVIC delayed "Key FOB has left the vehicle"; along with a chime... In both instances, the key FOB was situated in the storage bin located in the center console, which is usually where I place it when entering the vehicle.

I've noticed that this has occurred when a passenger opens and closes the passenger side door while the truck is running. Note: the passenger does not have the second key FOB, or any other FOB.

Does anybody have any ideas why I'm getting this warning when the key FOB has clearly not left the vehicle? Maybe an EVIC software glitch? Any input would be appreciated...

#2 ·
Crickets... :feedback:

#3 ·
I had this same scenario happen with my 14 Dodge Durango today. I read your post a few days back but never had the problem in either one of my trucks equipped with keyless enter and go...until the one time today. You jinxed me! Ha. In my case it was the driver who left the vehicle while it was running but the key fob still in it. I restarted it and all was good. I'll let you know what I find.

#4 ·
Thats happened to me a couple of times over the last year. both times I had to shut it off and press the FOB against the start button to get it to recognize the FOB again. Dealer couldn't find anything and since it happens rarely I let it go.

#5 ·
This has happened to me on several occasions, but it is usually after I have left the vehicle with it running (I have the fob with me). It still says "Key Fob has left the vehicle" upon my return and will not go away as long I have the door open. I think any action that changes the conditions of the truck (for me, usually closing the door) gets rid of the message.

#6 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I figured it's one of those anomalies that the dealer will never be able to remedy. Cycling the ignition solved the problem, but still not thrilled that it happen twice with no technical explanation.

#7 ·
Replace the battery. Issues with the fob not being recognized is covered in the user manual, and that is the first step to troubleshooting.

Secondly, if you ever find yourself with the fob not being "seen"- place the forward tip (non key end) it on the remote start button, hold it there for a few moments, then press the start button with the fob. (this is in the user manual as well). Apparently there is a non powered rfid or other chip which can be recognized by contact with the push start button with no fob battery power.

#9 ·
Replace the battery. Issues with the fob not being recognized is covered in the user manual, and that is the first step to troubleshooting.

Secondly, if you ever find yourself with the fob not being "seen"- place the forward tip (non key end) it on the remote start button, hold it there for a few moments, then press the start button with the fob. (this is in the user manual as well). Apparently there is a non powered rfid or other chip which can be recognized by contact with the push start button with no fob battery power.
I read the manual... It's a new truck/FOB, I doubt that it's a battery issue. Also, the truck is running when the warning is displayed. Placing the FOB on the start button is a technique used if the FOB battery is dead, and the internal chip is used to engages the ignition. Thanks for the response.

There is a cure for your problem, buy a motorcycle
Just Kidding, pulling your chain

Call the dealership & ask them when you can get in to have the new software update
It is called something like a HUB update

I will see if i can find out what they call it
I believe this is it

It's called recall P15, REPROGRAM R.F. HUB MODULE and it's for reprogramming to address a couple of wireless problems:
+ no response from keyless fob or remote start fob;
+ TPMS display crashes
No parts required, just a software upgrade.

There are more fixes coming, if the dealership does not yet have them
read about things that they have found so far

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...e-pickup-trucks-to-solve-programming-problems
Yeah, I received a flyer about this recall, but didn't noticed that it covered FOB recognition issues. I'll have to get it in for service. It does seem to be more of a software issue than hardware. Thanks for the info!

#8 · (Edited)

Call the dealership & ask them when you can get in to have the new software update

I believe this is it

It's called recall P15, REPROGRAM R.F. HUB MODULE and it's for reprogramming to address a couple of wireless problems:
+ no response from keyless fob or remote start fob;
+ TPMS display crashes

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...e-pickup-trucks-to-solve-programming-problems

#13 ·

I believe this is it

• no response from keyless fob or remote start fob;
  • TPMS display crashes

Chrysler will perform update pickup trucks to solve programming problems
Thanks! My 2023 Ram 1500 has had this problem for several months. I have new batteries in both key FOBs but the alarm still goes off if either passenger door is opened when the truck is running. The only way to clear it is to restart the truck. It’s very annoying.

#11 ·
No big deal, but I doubt Ram designed the system to function by opening and closing the door to clear error codes. You can also cycle the ignition to clear, but I'd prefer not receiving bogus visual and audible warnings... Again, no big deal; I'll get it fixed, and use the door to get in and out of the truck- as I've done the first time, and every-time. :LOL:

#17 ·
This happened that my truck also but I noticed between The Times it was happening I installed a wireless phone charger in my console I removed the phone charger it doesn't happen anymore Also just recently I put a CB in my truck when you key the mic. it causes all kinds of havoc Put the truck in limp mode And check engine light on

#18 ·
My 3500 Dually does this all the time. Today in fact I could not get the truck to start because it was saying key fob not detected. I changed the battery, and it continued to do it. The only difference so far is that it seems to start first try. But yes getting out with the truck running sets it off. And fob is in the truck.

#19 · (Edited)
Experiencing the "Key FOB has left the vehicle" warning despite the key FOB being inside the storage bin can be perplexing. While I don't have specific information about the make and model of your truck, I can provide some general insights.

In cases like yours, where the warning is triggered when a passenger opens and closes the passenger side door while the vehicle is running, it's possible that there may be a temporary glitch or sensor issue in the system. This can occasionally result in false notifications.

One potential explanation could be that the sensor responsible for detecting the key FOB's presence is not registering the key properly during certain interactions with the passenger side door. This could be due to a software glitch or a minor malfunction in the sensor itself.

To address this issue, you may want to consider the following steps:
  1. Try repositioning the key FOB in the storage bin: Experiment with different positions or orientations of the key FOB within the storage bin to see if it helps the sensor detect it more consistently.
  2. Check for software updates: Contact the dealership or the manufacturer to inquire about any available software updates for your truck's electronic system. Updating the software may potentially resolve any known glitches or issues.
  3. Consult a dealership or technician: If the problem persists and becomes a recurring inconvenience, it would be advisable to schedule an appointment with a dealership or a qualified technician. They can perform a thorough inspection, diagnose the exact cause, and provide a targeted solution.
Remember to provide specific details about the circumstances under which the warning is triggered, such as the passenger opening and closing the door while the vehicle is running. This information will be helpful during the diagnostic process.

While it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause without further information about your truck's make and model, following these steps and seeking professional assistance should help address the issue and provide a more accurate resolution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.