DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.7 HEMI Mileage vs Cold Weather

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  sapper6fd 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all.

so I've just gone through my first tank of fuel in my 2013 1500 Laramie 5.7 HEMI (6 Speed) and coming from a small Mazda 3, I must say this thing drinks like a pig! Good thing I live in Oil Country.

So being from Canada, specifically Calgary where for the past week or so its been around -30 C (roughly -22 F). I decided to change my driving habits when I pick up the the truck and have been driving the way I should instead of lead footing it everywhere. But with that said, I've noticed I'm not getting anywhere near the mileage I should be. Even though I'm taking it easy from a dead stop, cruising around 100- 110 km/h on the highway in cruise control and 50-60 in the city, I'm getting an average of 19.2 l/100km (12.25 MPG).

For the first few days I had it the temperatures were a few degrees above freezing and I was getting around 16 l/100km (14.7 MPG). I noticed my mileage climbing when it got really cold out.

How much does the cold weather affect mileage? While I know its not a fair comparison to compare my 2.3 Litre Mazda 3 to this beast of a HEMI Ram 1500 that I have appropriately nicknamed "The Breacher", I can say I never had much if any decrease in mileage in that smaller engine (or at least nothing noticeable).

I'm not concerned about the costs of the fuel, I'm more concerned of the fact the mileage is substantially higher than advertised.

Has anyone else notice this? Is there a direct correlation between extreme cold weather and a decrease in Mileage?

See less See more
#6 ·
My hemi does not like cold weather . But has been one rotten cold winter:smiledown:
^^^^ Amen to that :doh: I think I'm sitting at 20 lit/100kms right now and I know it get's better mileage than that. Trust me, it's the cold :smiledown:

#4 ·
Good to know it's not just me. It's been an extremely cold winter this year. We nomaly get a cold snap with these temps once a year. It's been off and on though this year since November.

I've also noticed when it gets this cold the air suspension becomes rock solid. The slightest bump on the highway feels like a speed bump at high speeds.

#5 ·
Just got an '11 and the mileage is worse than I ever expected. I'm running around 12-13 right now in the cold. Some of it's from the remote start in the cold mornings I am sure.

#9 ·
Switched to 91 octane, im getting 15.8-16.2l/100k....in stop and go, I was getting 19-20 soon as i switched it dropped, also started using Liqui-Moly Ceretec at about same time.....amazing oil addititive and I belive that may have attributed to the drop as well, but 87 winter gas is terrible. Refuse to use it anymore, what I save in gas milage alone makes up for the price increase.

#10 ·
I'm from mackenzie BC canada, like Sapper, it's been a cold long winter, for the past month it's been -30 to -40c. I've got a 10km commute each way to work (no stop lights or signs) I can't seem to get any better than 30L/100kms which is like 9.5mpg. WHat the heck! I had a 1994 7.3L ford diesel with a leaky tank that got double that!

I am running 87 though, is it possible that it needs a tune or spark plugs?

#11 ·
My truck has been the same. While its no where near as cold here in NJ as up there, it has been a below avg winter here too and I am getting terrible gas mileage, around 13. I am usually around 14.5+ in the summer. My 45 year old carburated V8 Camaro gets around 12.5!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.