DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need explanation of Acronyms

31K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  HagMan 
#1 ·
I'm new to the board and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge being shared. I have to admit that there are times when I have a hard time understanding some of the discussions because I don't know what some of the abreviations mean. Can you help me out by telling me what some of them mean? Lets start with "MDS". How about "EVIC"? I know this is English 101 for many of you, but can you help me out? The list of acronyms is long, so please list the meanings of any that you can think of. It will help all of us who are new to the forum.

#2 ·
I agree with you. It can be really confusing when you first join. I don't know the exact words but the MDS refers to the engine shutting down cylinders to save on gas. The EVIC is your information center in the middle of your gauges. LSD is limited slip differential. Someone will list it all for you

#3 · (Edited)
Multiple Displacement System (MDS)
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
Cold Air Intake (CAI)
High Intensity Discharge (HID)
Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
Light Emitting Diode (LED)
Rear Entertainment System (RES)
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
Distance to Empty (DTE)
Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
Global Positioning System (GPS)
Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
Daily Driver (DD)

#5 ·
TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor
TIPM - Totally Integrated Power Module
ABS - Anti-Lock Brakes
PCM - Powertrain Control Module

I'm sure I'll think of more but I think we should sticky this thread.

- Cajun

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I also agree too also that it should be a sticky.

OP= "Original Poster" (When replying to a post. You in this case would be the OP Sod Farmer).
IMO= In my Opinion.
IMHO= In My Honest Opinion.
JMO= Just My Opinion

***********************************************************************************
TFC= Transfer Case. On a 4WD vehicle it is on the rear of the Transmission and engages the 4WD.
4WD= Four Wheel Drive.
2WD=Two Wheel Drive.
CPS/CKPS= Crank Position Sensor. During running of the engine the CPS/CKPS sends a signal to the ECM/PCM/TIPM as to where the lower end of the engine is positioned to correlate the upper portion of the engine for timing, cylinder firing, etc... (Crank).

ECM= Electronic Control Module/Engine Control Module.
PCM= Power Control Module/Power-train Control Module.
TIPM= Totally Integrated Power Module.
Depending on the Gen of your vehicle the preceding three can apply. They are for lack of a better term, the computer that controls the electronics on your vehicle.
ALT= Alternator. The alternator supplies alternating current to your vehicles electronics and electrical system after the Bat/Batt has been used to start the vehicle.

Bat/Batt= Battery.

Gen 1/1st Gen= Pre 1994
Gen 2/2nd Gen= 1994-2001.
Note: There are very few 2001-2002 "cross overs" that have qualities of both the 2nd Gen and the 3rd Gen, but they do exist and can be confusing without knowing this.
Gen 3/3rd Gen= 2002-2008.
Gen 4/4th Gen= 2009-current/+
(January 2014)

Note: Ram no longer is affiliated with the "Dodge" brand and has been renamed "RAM" exclusively.

TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor. Wheel sensors that monitor the vehicles Tire Pressure to a centralized location usually displayed by an icon in the instrument panel.

ABS = Anti-Lock Brakes. An electronically controlled braking system that applies variable pressure through the vehicle's brakes to inhibit the brakes from locking and bringing the vehicle to a controlled stop.
SLS= Stop Light Switch. A switch usually located within the interior of the vehicle on or near the brake pedal to signal the stop lights to come on when braking.

NSS= Neutral Safety Switch. A switch located on the transmission of pre-4th Gen vehicles to engage the starting of the engine only in park or neutral. The NSS was also used to activate the reverse lights.

SC= Standard Cab.
CC= Crew Cab.
QC= Quad Cab.
MC= Mega Cab.

GVW= Gross Vehicle Weight. The maximum operating weight of the vehicle fully loaded

WOT= Wide Open Throttle. The action of holding the throttle all the way to the floor (Or Wide Open Throttle). Including, but not limited to: This is usually used to reset the fuel pump/relay in a No-Start condition whereas the vehicle is cranked for an enumerated amount of time (Example: 2nd Gen, 45 seconds).(Thanks Bruce E)

CTD= Cummings Turbo Diesel. (Thanks kvtcomdo)

TDC=Top Dead Center. The action of having #1 piston at the Top (Dead Center)/Apex of it's stroke. #1 piston being all the way up. Including but not limited to using when a timing component of the engine has to be aligned. (timing chain, gears, etc...)

IAC= Idle Air Control Valve. The solenoid located on the throttle body to control the air intake through the intake manifold.

TPS= Throttle Position Sensor. An electronic sensor located on the throttle that senses the position of the throttle/throttle pedal.

CEL=Check Engine Light. An indicator usually on the instrument cluster or dash panel, indicating the PCM/ECM/TIPM has detected a malfunction of the vehicle by the computer/diagnostic system.

DTC= Diagnostic Trouble Code (Thanks TechNick)

OBD= On Board Diagnostic

***********************************************************************************

I didn't include any of the power options A/C, PWL, PDL, PS, PB, AT, MT. (Air Conditioning, Power Window Locks, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic Transmission, Manual Transmission, respectively) etc... as they may or may not be too obvious, but I do agree that a list compiled should be inclusive. Nor did I include Nused, Used vehicle, new owner.

Now if maybe one of the Admins (HZ or CD?) can start putting them in alphabetical order for the sticky? (or in order pertaining to luxury, relevance, power control, drive-line, or body)
I also thought it may be beneficial to the member to include a brief explanation of the acronym's definition and its function.

P.S. To any of the Admins and/or staff: Please feel free to update this post with additional acronyms to save the members/readers the trouble of searching a lengthy thread in the future. Member's can also be advised that if they have any input and/or additions that they can suggest this post be updated by contacting any member having a bold blue font designating them as Admin/Staff.

#14 ·
Thats the best one.

#13 ·
I'm not saying the Ford jokes etc. aren't funny, I get a laugh out of them, too, but if we could, keep this thread to acronyms that actually pertain to the topic, that's why I stickied the thread, because it's good info that I'm sure many will find helpful. I can put them in some type of order, alphabetical or something to help make it easier.

- Cajun

#19 ·
I'm not saying the Ford jokes etc. aren't funny, I get a laugh out of them, too, but if we could, keep this thread to acronyms that actually pertain to the topic, that's why I stickied the thread, because it's good info that I'm sure many will find helpful. I can put them in some type of order, alphabetical or something to help make it easier.

- Cajun
Just reminding people to keep this on topic as it will be a very useful thread and to only add acronyms that pertain to the topic. We don't want to the value and usefulness of the thread to be lost with everyone just adding any acronym.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the informative list Warlock III, here's some more acronyms:

MPFI = Multiport Fuel Injection - fuel is injected into each individual cylinder via a separate fuel injector in each cylinder.
TBI = Throttle Body Injection - fuel is sprayed into the carburetor body by a single fuel injector (1989? - 1993 5.2L 318c.i.d. & 5.9L 360 c.i.d. V8 engines).
TC = Traction Control
SRT10 = Limited run of Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive trucks with the Dodge Viper V10 engine & with either a Viper 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic transmission [depending on year & bodystyle (2 door or Quad Cab)].
VVT = Variable Valve Timing - controls Valve Timing on Hemi (2013 - present models)

#26 ·
BCM = Body Control Module

is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body. Typically in a car the BCM controls the power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, immobilizer system, central locking, etc. The BCM communicates with other on-board computers via the car's vehicle bus, and its main application is controlling load drivers – actuating relays that in turn perform actions in the vehicle such as locking the doors or dimming the salon overhead lamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.