DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Windshield foam piece

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
Not really a big issue here, but I was out running errands today when I noticed that the little foam strip at the base of the windshield where it meets the dash had peeled up slightly on the driver's side. I think it got stuck to the bottom of my sunshade somehow and got pulled up. I'm not really sure what it does, but I don't like it hanging out over my dashboard so I will be taking the truck to the dealer on Saturday morning when I get back from the field. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had my windshield replaced last November.

Anyone have an idea what the foam strip does?

#3 ·
I've actually been looking at posts by others with this issue on other forums, and apparently Fords have the same thing. It seems that it is fairly common for a sunshade to pull up the foam. I may not end up going to the dealer after all, because it seems that either the dash or windshield may need to be removed in order to replace the foam. Now I'm thinking that I may either trim it, try to stuff it back (in which case it will probably keep getting pulled up), or just remove it altogether.

Can you think of any big downsides to trimming/removing it? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with how the windshield seals. Maybe its a sound insulation piece? The thing that bothers me about pulling it out is that Ram put it there for a reason, they wouldn't be spending the extra $0.05 for a foam strip on each truck if it served no purpose.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input everybody. I stuffed it back down there, and I'll let y'all know if anything comes of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.