DODGE RAM FORUM banner

First 4x4 any do's and don'ts

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Danz51 
#1 ·
I have a 13 Ram 1500 Express 4x4 and it is the first one i have ever owned. Could use some pointers on what to do and not do as far as engaging and disengaging the 4x4. thanks

#2 ·
4lo is for under 25mph only. engage while stopped and in neutral. used for getting unstuck usually or going through real thick stuff.

4hi or 4lock can engage at any speed, most advise not to go over 45-50mph.

do not use 4x4 on dry pavement whatsoever.

don't go wheeling alone.

#3 ·
Yeah. I got one for ya. Use it responsibly and with discretion. Our 1500's have an independent front suspension that utilize cv shafts rather than solid front axles like their heavy duty big brothers. While they will tolerate a fair amount of abuse, they do have their limits also. So don't be one of these guys out there trying to do mud- wheelies with the darn thing like you're running the Moab just so you can pull up to the local gas station and impress all the locals. You will eventually lose.
Oh-and watch the tight turning radius when you're in 4WD...that tends to cause some axle binding. When you get a second, get a creeper and a flashlight and have a look up under the front end of your truck. See those skinny little shafts going from the differential out to the wheels? That's all that is putting every bit of torque your right foot is demanding out to the tires and to the ground. Other than that, GoneFishin said it well above.
So like I said, just use it with some discretion and you'll be fine. Be safe and enjoy!

#11 ·
If you are going to be doing any kind of trail riding other than a gravel road, get better tires, the crappy ones that come on them are not worth a darn!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.