DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
dirtythirty5s is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd gen headlights

So I've got a 2001 Sport and I desperately need new headlight housings. Problem is the Sports have seperate hi/lo beams and it seems that every aftermarket housing is single bulb. It seems my only option for replacement is OEM housings but I'd really like black housings. I found a set that looks like they might work though.. The Anzo 111065 black housing projectors because it has the projector low beam and high beam is a regular bulb it looks like. Are they truly plug and play besides the wiring for the LEDs and halo... Like will the projector plug right into the harness? I've heard about resistors so it doesn't burn up the switch or something but they do work? Looking for advice here on anybody who has used these or any other housings you put on your Sports. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

The projectors require a bulb. If they are the same size bulb (9007/HB1 for lows and 9004/HB1 for highs), then it's just plug and play for the bulbs. If not, you'll have to get adapters. You will still need to wire the halos and LED's into the parking light circuit.

Side note: Don't be surprised if the low beam projectors have less light output than stock. Cheap projectors have horrible optics and light output. You may not even notice it if your stock housings are that bad off.

Also, those housings say "without sport package", if you didn't already see that.

Last edited by the persuader; 11-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
dirtythirty5s is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply! I had noticed they said that but figured they'd work since they had a spot for two bulbs. The lenses literally fell off my stockers cause the glue was so brittle. Looks like my only options left are just OEM replacements. I'll probably end up putting some AVS covers on them or something. However I blew a bulb and now my lights are acting up.. When my dash indicator says highs are on the fogs are also on. Not sure whats going on, and my headlights turn on (and stay on) when the switch is on DRL if I hit the multifunction switch. Didnt do that before?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

still looking for HL options for your sport? If you guys are still interested, I'll dig this back up and go through it.

I know somewhere on here I have a ton of info on the non sport vs sport heads, and how to make aftermarket non sport projector heads work on the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
Side note: Don't be surprised if the low beam projectors have less light output than stock. Cheap projectors have horrible optics and light output. You may not even notice it if your stock housings are that bad
side note for your side note ^^^

non sport aftermarket projectors have horrible output because of a split high/low wiring (terrible design/power draw) compaired to factory dual filament bulbs (9004/9007). Yes, those projectors are "cheap", but wire them right and back them right with a nice hid and they'll impress you more than you'll admit.

haha I didn't want to dig into this but I am getting there now... like I said, if there's interest I'll go into detail, might even look for a diagram I have somewhere on here.

Last edited by double0ram; 12-26-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

i got these off of autoanything for cheap and they are much brighter than stock! wouldnt see why you wouldnt be able to wire them up to work with a sport model

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Has Internet Tourettes

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Rep:1693
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0ram View Post
still looking for HL options for your sport? If you guys are still interested, I'll dig this back up and go through it.

I know somewhere on here I have a ton of info on the non sport vs sport heads, and how to make aftermarket non sport projector heads work on the sport.

side note for your side note ^^^

non sport aftermarket projectors have horrible output because of a split high/low wiring (terrible design/power draw) compaired to factory dual filament bulbs (9004/9007). Yes, those projectors are "cheap", but wire them right and back them right with a nice hid and they'll impress you more than you'll admit.

haha I didn't want to dig into this but I am getting there now... like I said, if there's interest I'll go into detail, might even look for a diagram I have somewhere on here.
I'm mad at you Oh oh. You sold the ones I wanted.

However, Oh oh's been a member for awhile and he's has experience in this specific topic. (even if he did sell his lights that I wanted) He's pretty apt and familiar with the conversion. Nothing Personal (BR74) but I know the Sport has a slightly different wiring system.

That being said, Oh oh, get out the crib notes!

EDIT: I wasn't implying anything towards you BR74, Just that there is a difference that Oh oh is familiar with. No hard feelings I hope.

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-27-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

try protuninglab.com

Theyre a bit more expensive. But the come stock with HIDs and you can select wiring harnesses that you need.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:160
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

I bought my Anzo lights off of Amazon. They were some of the cheapest of the aftermarkets, but had the black look I wanted. Here's a page for Ram Sport lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...&vehicleType=6
These are the lights I got for mine. Bright, but very narrow beams. Fine for the country roads where I live.

Last edited by Lazarus Truck; 12-28-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Truck View Post
I bought my Anzo lights off of Amazon. They were some of the cheapest of the aftermarkets, but had the black look I wanted. Here's a page for Ram Sport lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...&vehicleType=6
These are the lights I got for mine. Bright, but very narrow beams. Fine for the country roads where I live.
those work great, I had a set with drop in HIDS, really throws out some serious light compaired to stock or just halogen bulbs. ended up using something just like that for a projector retrofit for my old truck.... that's how everyone should upgrade headlights, night and day difference....

AND back on topic, here is a old thread digging into setting up those projector headlights from a non sport to a sport. on the second page, there's a diagram. it was designed for wiring in hids and wiring the high beam to an aux switch, but can easily be adapted to wire directly to the sports high beam, either with plugs or directly hard wiring it in.

took quite some digging DREW but Here's those crib notes

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....+wiring&page=2

I might have more notes tied up somewhere, might do some more digging. if anyone has questions, please ask, I'm a freaking lighting nut
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
I'm mad at you Oh oh. You sold the ones I wanted.

However, Oh oh's been a member for awhile and he's has experience in this specific topic. (even if he did sell his lights that I wanted) He's pretty apt and familiar with the conversion. Nothing Personal (BR74) but I know the Sport has a slightly different wiring system.

That being said, Oh oh, get out the crib notes!

EDIT: I wasn't implying anything towards you BR74, Just that there is a difference that Oh oh is familiar with. No hard feelings I hope.
no worries bud

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer