DODGE RAM FORUM banner

93 octane gas

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CheechDogg.0n37s 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I recently purchased a 2014 ram 1500 and I was told that the performance of the truck would be better if I ran 93 octane rather than the 87.If anybody happens to put 93 in their truck can you tell me the benefits or if its just a waste of money. Thanks.

#3 ·
94 is available in my area. Twice I've run the tank down near empty and filled up with Chevron 94. It's the only fuel in my area that contains no ethanol.

Both times, the engine felt slightly thready. Not misfiring but not smooth either. I have to wonder if the flame front created by two spark plugs is being effected by the high octane which resists detonation. The combustion chamber in a Hemi is unlike most other V8's. The last time, I filled up with 87 when it got down halfway and the engine definitely smoothed out.

I'll stick with 89 from now on.

#4 ·
No benefit to 93 octane unless you have a tuner. And to think about how long 93 octane sits in the tanks in most gas stations due to its price... not many people buy it. Gas deteriorates over a short period, thats why some of you feel your truck being more sluggish when you use 93 octane. The 89 octane is whats recommended in your manual. I myself burn 91 octane NON-ethanol, my truck gets better mpg, better performance. Its every bit worth spending .10 to .15 cents more per gallon for it in my opinion, or at least in my case anyway. The 91 non-e gas here is always fresh here, station tanks filled twice a week... everyone is buying it around here... everyone comments how much better their engines run with it, and getting better mpg.

Keep in mind... ETHANOL ATTRACTS MOISTURE...!!!!!!!

#6 ·
I dont want to start a shitting contest here....BUT....
If your truck is brand spankin new, you wont see much benefits until it get some miles on it. (broken in, loosened up a bit) I`m hittin 6,000 miles on mine, seeing the benefits from NON-ethanol gas now. I`m easily pullin 22 to 23mpg highway consistently. I do drive very conservatively too. I tried a tank of 89 ethanol last week just to see the difference between ethanol vs non-ethanol, and with ethanol gas, my mpg dropped off 4mpg. Next tankful, i put 91 non-ethanol gas back in, back up to 22 to 23mpg it went. The 91 octane non-ethanol is all they sell in my area, so its the only choice of octane we have here as far as non-ethanol goes. Does cost .40 more cents per gallon, but i benefit from not having water in my gas tank due to ETHANOL... as well as a much smoother running engine... much better power... it even starts better.

Keep in mind, most gas pumps say 10% ethanol... is it really...???? Test it yourself...!
I`ve done a bunch of sample tests around my area, its much higher than 10%, trust me..!
The higher the % of ethanol, the more water you attract into your gas tank.
Ethanol is KNOWN to make you lose as much as 30% of your fuel economy.

There are MUCH better ways to make alternative fuels, corn alcohol is NOT one of them.
This ethanol craze has wreaked havoc on food prices, wreaked havoc on engines.
Its time to stop the nonsense folks. Stop the liberal treehugger`s...!

#8 ·
I hate ethanol, but you won't see a benefit from gas over 89 octane in your Hemi. I miss living in Oklahoma where I could get ethanol free 89- it got me 23.5 MPG on a trip.

#11 ·
I have a '12 Dodge Ram R/T. I have a Diablo tuner with a Hemifever 87 octane and 93 octane tune on it. The only other thing I have that is not factory is a Vararam CAI and a Roar throttle controler. I run the truck at the 1/4 mile track and have ran consistent 14.1 times and even run a 13.8 one time with the 87 tune. I pull a 4000 lb travel trailer with it and I run 89 octane then because the manual suggests it. I don't hear it spark knock at any time, I've had people tell me it does, I just don't hear it. I've been a mechanic for 46 years so no one is going to tell me what I hear and what I don't. Try every different octane with and without ethanol and find out what works for you and don't let anyone tell you what "your" truck does or doesn't do. No 2 trucks are the same! I don't care what video genius's say or scientists say, do what works for you!

#14 ·
I have used nothing but 91 on mine except this past year and I switched back to 91 in September ..

From day one I used nothing but 91, but I saw threads where everyone said it's pointless to run 91 and to stick to 87 or 89...

When I used 89 for the last year my truck dropped almost 2 MPG, it felt sluggish and on WOT you could feel the knocking .... Now that I came back to 91 the knocking is gone, my extra 2 mpg are back and you can just feel the full potential of the HEMI ...

I will never again run 89 and definitely never 87 on my truck ... 91 here in California is ethanol free and 89 and 87 is not ... 93 octane won't hurt your engine @tdawg

Reactions: 2012RAM1500RT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.