DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Lift kit nightmares

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BuckWild09 
#1 ·
Well decided to put my lift kit on this last weekend. Started off with not being able to get my wheels off because I lost my lug key. Then I had to cut my lower control arms because of frozen bolts. The wheel bearing were frozen in the spindles so I have to buy those too. And $20 dealer bolts. So it hasn't been goin too well but got it all ordered. My question is.. do I need brake dust shields?? I can't find them anywhere. There aren't any on the new kit spindles and the wheel bearings. Do I really need to have them??

#2 ·
That LCA strut bolt is a bitch huh? I used grade 8 bolts from home depot and they are holding up perfect. Or did you mean the two bolts at the other end? Regardless..that shit sucks.

Sorry to hear about your issues. (i have no clue about the dust shield...i hate them because I always get rocks stock between them and the rotor and it makes a horrendous noise).

#3 ·
Yea the two that bolt the lower arm to the frame. I had to cut them and thought I could press them out but apparently a 12 ton press isnt even enough.. so I'm plain screwed lol

Yea the guy at autozone swore up and down I had to have them. But I think it's just kinda a "fake" protection idk tho

#4 ·
Yea the two that bolt the lower arm to the frame. I had to cut them and thought I could press them out but apparently a 12 ton press isnt even enough.. so I'm plain screwed lol

Yea the guy at autozone swore up and down I had to have them. But I think it's just kinda a "fake" protection idk tho

#5 ·
Dang that sucks man. I feel your pain. really disheartening when you want to get it all installed and see the final outcome but you hit road blocks like this. Took me a week to get my bilsteins on because of shit like shit.

#6 ·
To the Op, you don't absolutely have to have them. But you should get them if you can. They can keep rocks and mud out of there. Some people have removed them and not replaced them and never had issues (that they are aware of).
Try www.wholesalemopar.com

#7 ·
Damn dude, that blows, my trucks an 07 and I just did my RCX last weekend with none of the problems youve had. My trucks never been offroaded or taken through mud though, and I plan to keep it that way. (mudding does alot of long term damage that alot of people dont realize) idk what your trucks been through, but best of luck bud, dont give up! theres always a way to fix it.

#10 ·
Well I live in Ohio so lots of road salt is the problem. I will make sure I never seize everything I can!! Its real disheartening but ill have a new front end!!

$40 each for a piece of metal.. im not putting them on.did give me time to spray my under frame with that rubberized spray!. Get parts tomorrow so ill post pics when finished!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.