DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My truck got hit yesterday.

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  jcasey10 
#1 ·
So after school yesterday I was sitting in my friends truck and talking then I jumped out and started walking to my truck. I see my friend jump out my truck and say "dude wesley just hit you" I was like what? Then I looked at my truck and saw the damage. Then I looked over and saw the kid leaving. So I jumped in my truck flew out the parking lot then drove through someones yard and pulled in front of him and threw my truck in park. I jump out and just exploded. I was yelling at him and I started getting madder and madder. Eventually my friend had to pull me away because I was about to hit the kid because he was acting stupid. Anyways, I told him to go home and talk to his parents and I would call him. So his dad came to my house and looked at my truck and tried saying that the damage didn't match up.(which is bullshit) I want to keep insurance out of it because I am on liability insurance and I don't have to pay anything right now besides a portion of my dads insurance on the truck. My truck was off and in park, so would I have to start paying the insurance if we got them involved? What should I do with the situation? Thanks for y'alls input, Dillon.

Here are the pictures. They were taken with my phone and it's hard to see. The damage isn't too bad, but it's the worst on my truck. He dented and scratched my door panel, and dented and scratched my quarter panel. And scratched my chrome bumper.

He almost debadged it for me lol.

Ohh and Paris, I took this picture at school for you, it's a whole lotta bubble wrap!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that really sucks, sorry to hear this! So basically they're (him and his dad) denying this? Sounds to me like somebody needs to start cutting some grass or somehow coming up with some money to pay for the damage to your truck. You know anyone who would do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg to fix it? What are your parents saying about it?

- Cajun

#3 ·
My parent's aren't mad at me, they just want to get it fixed. I have a guy that will do it for about half price, but I'm not paying for this. Basically they are trying to say there was no damage, but he hit me. Which makes no sense.

#4 ·
***this is not legal advice***

In CA what you described is a 20002 CVC (or a hit and run). This would mean that he could face a misdemeanor charges. If your friend witnessed the incident and is willing to testify then you have a fairly strong case. I am not saying you need to go criminal (in fact if you choose this route 9/10 we resolve it civilly anyway and make both parties exchange insurance) but just know it is an option (depending on your state law). If the other party refuses to provide insurance information and you decide to not go criminal against them then you are in a civil situation (he said/he said). Your word against his. Your best option there is to file a civil suit against him. It can take months to years to reach a settlement. Even then its just a court order that he SHALL pay you a certain amount. If he does not then they can garnish his wages etc.

My best advice would be to suck it up and do the right thing....exchange insurance information (required by law in CA) and let them handle it. That is why we pay for insurance every month! It is their job to determine who is most at fault in an accident and provide compensation to fix it accordingly.

Hope this helps and good luck. ***not legal advice***

#5 ·
Sorry that your truck got hit. What you need to do is go and try and get the information from the driver on what insurance company he has. If you get no results go to your nearest Police Dept with the plate # to the vehicle that hit you and tell them what happened and that at this time you dont want to file a police report but just need the insurance to the other drivers vehicle. When you get it call his insurance company and tell them what happened and you have a witness to the accident. They might tell you they will need a Police report. First off your vehicle was parked and not moving. Second that driver could be charged with leaving the scene of a vehicle accident and failed to give his information. If you get no satisfaction with his insurance company then you need to go and file a Police report and make sure you have all the information for the witness so it can be added onto the accident report. Then go and file a small claims action against the driver. When you go to court make sure your witness goes with you and you have the accident report with you.Get 3 estimates. Good luck....

#6 ·
I would suggest going to your local police dept and filing a report. Not sure of your local laws, but most places that will be considered a hit and run. You may also be able to check nearby surveillance cameras to see if it recorded the incident. So go look around the area it happened and see if there are any cameras. Most schools and businesses have outside video, so you may just be in luck.

#7 ·
I already checked the security camera's and none of them saw it, but I have more witnesses now. I would like to solve it civilly, but if he doesn't comply then I will get the insurance and police involved. We are meeting with him and his parents this weekend, so I will keep y'all posted. Thanks for all the advice.

#8 ·
Man that sucks, sorry to see the damage to your truck.

Normally, the way it works is you report it to your insurance and they go after the person that hit you, either their insurance or them personally.

You will need witness statements since you have delayed in reporting it this long and they are denying the incident.

Your insurance should not change in cost because you were not at fault.

#9 ·
i dont know how it is there but here if your in a parking lot and it is private property nobody will be charged at fault you have to pay your own bill to fix it .here you dont need insurance a driver lic or regastration because you are on private property .i got hit in a gas station and cops came and said sorry nothing we can do the guy did not even have a lic the cops let him go but waited till he left then pulled him over for no lic had to be on a city street

#12 ·
Make them pay, do not let it go. Hit and run is what it was, you could very well get the police involved and he could be in big trouble. Good thing you have witnesses. Hope it all works out, let us know please, This little prick needs to learn. His dad sounds like an idiot too. Sorry but its just the way i feel. I guess his Dad isnt a real Dad...If he was he would woop his --- and make him pay out of his own pocket. This kind of stuff makes me real mad, sorry to see the damage to your truck.

#14 ·
I would suggest you talk to the police to see what they are willing to do. In Missouri, they really don't want to get involved when it is on private property but if you insist, they will make a report. I got hit once like this and they did make the report after some pushing from me.

I would then explain to the kid's ignorant parents that you have several witnesses and if they really want to refuse to pay for the damages, you will take them to court. If your witnesses are willing to testify, then you have a really good case and should get judgement with no problem.

Another factor is who the vehicle is registered to. I am guessing it likely would be the kid's parents. If that is the case and you have to go to court, you want to name them in your suit. That way even if this kid has no income, if you get judgment against the parents, you should be able to get them to pay.

This really sucks. I just went through 6 weeks of fighting with the insurance company (Safeco) of the guy to rear ended me. They were a bunch of jerks to deal with. After this, I know there is no way I would every use or recommend this company to anyone.

However, if you can't push the kid or parents into paying for the damages, then you might want to talk to your insurance agent to see what options you have. I could have turned my damages into my own insurance company and probably would have if I hadn't been able to come to terms with the other guy's company. My agent said that if I did turn it into them, it would not go against my record because it was no fault of mine. However, I would have to pay my deductible up front and then wait for my insurance to get it back from their's.

Believe me when I say, dealing with these type of issues can be frustrating, but stay strong and don't let them make you give up!

Good luck!

#15 ·
Sorry about your truck.
You said you were in the parking lot after school, was this a school lot? If so, it is public property, not private. The police or school security NEED to get involved.
Here in Florida, if you don't file an acident report, you are breaking the law as well as the one who 'hit and ran'. You need to CYA so that later they can't come back on you! They may want to claim you were illegaly parked or some other ...........

#17 ·
Dillon,
First off, thanks for the bubble wrap in your time of pain. Secondly, I would still call the police and let them know what happened. File a report letting them know he was to make good on payment and that you have witnesses. No insurance company is going to want to deal with this without a police report. That is my first step...from there a good ole ass whoopin' is in order. I will pm you some 'good friends' of mine. J/K.....well, sort of.

#18 ·
Hahah... believe me, once the money is in my hand my hand will go into the pocket, place the money there, remove my hand from the pocket, then use my hand to continuously hit his face until I get pulled off.

#21 ·
i would file a police report, i hope it works out

#23 ·
Paint would be a good way to prove it was him along with your witnesses. I had a similar situation where i accidentally scraped the fender of a good buddys corvette sting ray. I just paid him the cost to fix it since I buffed the scratch off my truck and didn't want to bother with insurance. That's what he should do to avoid any real trouble. Hopefully you can talk some sense in to his parents and get it worked out. Good luck, bud

#24 ·
His parents are coming to my house tomorrow because "the damage just doesn't match up" When he gets here I am going to surprise him with my 6 witnesses and tell him that we are going to file a police report and see if he changes his mind about things. If he doesn't then I am going to file a police report and contact my insurance company.

#25 ·
well i hope it works out man good luck

#27 ·
cant really see damage that well on that pictures but sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.