DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heads up on recon third brake light wiring with review

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  nogddeedgoes.... 
#1 ·
So a few weeks ago I ordered some recon taillights and third brake light for my truck. After I installed everything I noticed that the third brake light cargo lights were not working, I was only getting the brake light. I finally got around to fixing it and this is what I found....

I took everything apart and compared the wiring to the stock third brake light which in order were white, red, brown, black. I noticed the recon one was out of order. After putting them in order I was still getting no cargo light and was getting the cargo lights as brake lights. So I played around with it a bit and finally got it to work.
The working order for the recon is red, black, brown, and white. Here is a pic of it corrected.

And here is one compared to stock

I just wanted to post this for everyone in case they decide to order one, they won't have to go through the headache of figuring out the right order. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the red alert the dealer installed(third brake light flash when stopping) or if it was a mistake by recon. So if your doesn't work just remember red, black, brown, white.

I'm very happy with the recon taillights and third brake light now that everything is working properly. They are pretty bright and i love the look of the smoked lights. The only thing I'm not very happy with is the led reverse lights I ordered from recon. They are not very bright, I think I will be ordering replacements from jj at retro.

And finally here are a few pics of the lights

See less See more
#4 ·
Cool, you finally figured it out, lmao I just responded to your old post about what could be wrong with the 3rd tail light, cool, good thing I mentioned on the other post to check that the wires are not in the wrong places in the plug lol, I had read that from another user and he had the same type of issue. Congrats on a nice setup, reps for getting it to work and for the review post.

#5 ·
Thanks for your help on the other thread asur.
It didn't take long to figure out that the wires were in the wrong order, I just couldn't figure out how to get the wires out of the plug. Then I realized that there were actually little tabs inside that you had to pull up and realease the wire.
I still can figure out why the recon wiring is different from stock. I'm thinking they just wired it different. I'm very happy with the outcome.

#7 ·
Thought I'd update this with my experience. Just received my Recon LED third brake light (same model as OP) and it worked first time wired as it came.
Mine came wired as red,brown,black,white (tab up on connector).
So this doesn't match any of the OP's pics but it works. Maybe they addressed the issue or maybe just the OP's was messed up.
Either way, plug and play and looks awesome on silver.

#8 ·
Not that's it's dark, the cargo light portion isn't very bright at all. More looks than function...but still pretty kewl

#10 ·
hey there, i like your ride,, looks clean.
i have a 2013 black sport and am currently in the process of full blacking it out,, there are only 2 items left,,, my rims and my chrome exhaust tips,, ive noticed you have yours a nice flat black. ive read that plasti dip can bake on and really collect dust,,, i was wondering if you could tell me what you used?
and did you take them off to paint or leave them on?
thanks in advance
derek

#15 ·
So a few weeks ago I ordered some recon taillights and third brake light for my truck. After I installed everything I noticed that the third brake light cargo lights were not working, I was only getting the brake light. I finally got around to fixing it and this is what I found....

I took everything apart and compared the wiring to the stock third brake light which in order were white, red, brown, black. I noticed the recon one was out of order. After putting them in order I was still getting no cargo light and was getting the cargo lights as brake lights. So I played around with it a bit and finally got it to work.
The working order for the recon is red, black, brown, and white. Here is a pic of it corrected.

And here is one compared to stock

I just wanted to post this for everyone in case they decide to order one, they won't have to go through the headache of figuring out the right order. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the red alert the dealer installed(third brake light flash when stopping) or if it was a mistake by recon. So if your doesn't work just remember red, black, brown, white.

I'm very happy with the recon taillights and third brake light now that everything is working properly. They are pretty bright and i love the look of the smoked lights. The only thing I'm not very happy with is the led reverse lights I ordered from recon. They are not very bright, I think I will be ordering replacements from jj at retro.

And finally here are a few pics of the lights

1stnice truckaroo..2nd thanks for the breakdown..got straight to the nuttcuttn .much obliged sir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.