DODGE RAM FORUM banner

wheel spacers

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Brandon Snyder 
#1 ·
i got a Really good deal on some 35 in mud grapplers and I know I need some wheel spacers. My buddie has some hubcentric .5 in wheel spacers. Will I be okay to run them untill I get new rims I Will only run them for about 1000 miles or so. I also have a 2.5in level.

#2 ·
Yeah. Just check the lugnuts are tight every few days at first. And don't be surprised if you get a bit of speed wobble around 60mph or so. You might get lucky and not have any vibration, or you might get it quite bad. It's a crapshoot. But as long as they are the correct bolt pattern for your truck, you can run em. I've run them on some high performance cars before and other than a slight vibration around the aforementioned speed, they were fine.
Maybe try without first and see if it only rubs at full lock. If so, you could just go without for that thousand miles/kilometers...

#7 ·
Have you heard about the wobble at that speed with only a 1/4" spacer. I need to run them on my truck. 35s on the stock 20s and this is the first Ive heard about it in my limited research. Ill be running spacers for about a year until I can splurge for new rims.

#4 ·
if you want to avoid the vibration the spacers can give put some industrial adhesive on the spacers and attach them to the wheels before you have them balanced with the new tires. i have done that before and it worked great. no vibration at all. the best way to make sure they are on properly is to put the wheels on the truck and put the wheel nuts on tight and leave them on for a few hours till the adhesive dries. than go get your new tires put on the rims and balanced and you shouldn't have any vibration.

#6 ·
The minimum requirement for a car on the track is six full turns of the lug nut. Lots of people running spacers with six or seven full turns of the lug nuts. I can't see it needing to be more than that on a non race vehicle. So as long as you have that, you'll be fine. If not, step up to an adapter with it's own studs that bolt right to the studs on the truck and the wheel sits on the new studs sticking out of the adapter.

#8 ·
I have. But there are no guarantees. You may get lucky and have no issues. Hubcentric spacers are the best way to minimize the chance of vibrations around 60mph.

#11 ·
My 285/70/17 fierce attitude rubbed at full lock with stock wheels Idk why butt I got nee rims now so no more spacers

#12 ·
I also had longer studs so I had 8 turns of the lug nut with the .5in spacers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.