DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which magnaflow #

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  S.C. Express 
#1 ·
I am looking to put the 18" magnaflow and y-pipe on my 12 express. Just want to make sure I get the right one. I have read stock is 3inch in/ 2.25 dual out. And I read 3 inch in/ 2.50 dual out. I found Magnaflow part number 12278, 12288 and and a few others. Just wondering which is correct and what you guys used. Thanks

#6 ·
Go with the 2.5" outlets, it gives the mechanic more metal & wiggle room to work with when welding the pipes on. Once your truck is on a lift with the new muffler in place, you'll see what I am talking about. The way the tail pipes snake to the muffler is really twisted and makes proper alignment kinda hard. they could of course cut more factory piping off and run new pipe but that will cost a little extra.
One more thing, buy the BSM 18" MaxFlow from our forum vendor and save yourself almost 100 bucks. It's built just like the Magnaflow and sounds just like it. the MaxFlow is stainless steel and is welded together very well. It's not polished like a Magnaflow but for a truck exhaust why do you need a polished muffler anyways?

#8 ·
I just put a custom y-pipe with a 14" magnaflow and I'm not sure I'm happy with the loudness. I have 2012 ram 1500 with the hemi and it seems quieter then my 2011 4.7 ram 1500 with a 40 serious flowmaster. Not sure if I should go back to the flowmaster cause personally I think flowmaster is louder

#9 ·
It's a matter of sound choice really for the average person on here. I like the way both sound, but everybody and their brother has Flowmasters on their trucks/muscle cars here in the south. I wanted a different sound than Flowmaster for that reason alone... Stand behind your truck while someone else romps on the throttle, it's way louder than you realize from the driver's seat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.