DODGE RAM FORUM banner

cherry bomb or ...

9K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  jollyo747 
#1 ·
What are peoples opinions on cherry bombs and "high flow" mufflers?
which do you guys prefer? which is better?:4-dontknow:

#2 ·
Whene people say cherry bombs, they are generally talking about "glasspacks", there is tests that show a 2 chamber muffler gives more power then a glasspack, people who buy glasspacks usually buy them because they want the "loudness". If you want your truck really loud then go with a glass pack, you can still get a chamber muffler that is pretty loud though.

#5 ·
Glasspacks don't have to be loud. They do get louder as they burn out, but I have a cherry bomb on one of mine with a 318 and it's a very mellow, almost quiet experience. There are different sizes that play a factor in the loudness factor. Ultimate flow and performance will be with some other sort of muffler, but the glasspacks have a unique sound.

#6 ·
Cherry Bomb makes mufflers too! I ordered one and it's at the house, When I get back to the states it will get put on. There are some videos on you tube where you can hear them, I would look one up for you but the site I'm at now blocks you tube. IMO the only exhaust that sounds better is Borla full exhaust.

#11 ·
IMO my buddyies have everything from just cats to glasspacks to straight pipes to flowmasters on their dodges and they range from the 5.2 to the 5.9. i have a summit racing muffler and i hate the sound. my buddy has a flowmaster 40 and it sounds mean. im lookin at a flowmaster super 10...really aggressive with added power that the glasspack doesnt give.

#13 ·
Im running stainless headers, gutted cat, and a stainless Magnaflow 2 chamber muffler with factory tailpipe and 3.5" stainless tip. I am very happy with the sound and performance from that combo. Aggressive but not annoyingly loud. At least the wife hasnt started to bitch about it..yet.:LOL:
FYI.. I got my Magnaflow muffler and stainless Magnaflow tip from www.wundercarparts.com I could not find any other company that comes close to matching their prices on exhaust and many other parts. If you call them they will actually discount the price even more from their website, and free shipping over $75. I got my muffler and tip for half of what it would have cost locally.

#14 ·
Straight pipes are illegal i believe tho ( altho odds of being pulled are low, and odds of him lookin under your trucker are lower) but still, i have a 3" Cherry bomb glass pack, sounds epic, not noticed any HP gain but it sounds very nice, also gives a great crackle on downshifts, and a deep growl, that isnt too loud and annoying when cruising (Spend 2hrs on i4 last week, music was > engine, ) but could notice the growl ;)

#16 ·
Magna Floe

Good Morning all,
This is really my first post - My question is I'm thinking
of going a 1 into a Y pipe with a pair of Magna Flow
exhaust system. Love the sound.....not too loud but
loud enough to make me crack a smile when I get in
the gas. Do I need to do anything thru the OBD port? I
have a MODIS so I can go in and play with fuel air mixture.
Or will the ECM "Teach" itself? Once again gang - AWSOME
site.....
oh by the way....4.7L (no flex fuel) 104k - all maintenance
meticulously taken care of..........Early Xmas present
from Mamma!!!!!

#18 ·
My exhaust set up is a set of pacesetter shorty headers, stock cat, back to a cherry bomb extreme with side exits. Not only is it loud as all hell, but it gained so much more ass and response behind the throttle. i'd recommend that if your looking for loudness and power.

#20 ·
Seems to me you have enough ammo here for your thought process but i'll throw in one more for ya. I have an 01 with the 5.9 and the exhaust is a CB glass pack in "place" of the cat and than straight-ed back to the factory side swept tip. It is loud, mean, and scares the heck out of the cat every time I fire her up! :devil: She is actually pretty quite from about idle to around 1800 rpm, or "cruising", is very loud and crackly in the middle of the power band and when she hits around 4000 it emits a deep thunder that is just so mean. I have never really liked glass packs as they are made from the start with a "shelf life" as the packing begins to blow out, but, i was really surprised at the two sided tonal beast that my truck has become. I have actually begun plans to set it up with true duals using the same design as the one. I do want to point out one very big flaw in my setup though, bye bye rear o2 sensor. Only lasted about a month before kickin on the old check engine light. So, IMHO if you want your truck to sound really mean, go for a glass pack, just be weary of wear ya put it. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.