DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Ram 1500 Headlights

14K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  fishwater 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum but I had been searching for info my new first ram's new headlights. The 2013 Sport has the projector headlights with seperate high and low bulbs. I took my drivers side out just to clarify bulbs types for anyone looking for the information. The low beam is a HIR2 (9012) The high beam is a 9005 Both the bulbs have the 90 degree corner on them and need to keep that as the cover on the back of the asembly will not close with a straight bulb in place of the stock ones. I took a few pictures just to provide proof of the information I am giving to everyone. Will post them once I figure out how lol

#5 ·
Headlights

I am intending on putting HID lights for the low beams and fog lights..... The purpose of this post was for anyone looking for information on the new 2013 projector headlights. What bulbs are used and just a view of the back of the assembly.

#7 · (Edited)
I am intending on putting HID lights for the low beams and fog lights..... The purpose of this post was for anyone looking for information on the new 2013 projector headlights. What bulbs are used and just a view of the back of the assembly.

lowbeams are hir12 just look for them in ebay and the fog is 9006 .... you NEED CANBUS HID KIT AND NOT THE kIND WITH LITTLE BOXES AND CRAP IN THE LINE ....look up ebay canbus kit hir2 or what ever the bulb is. here is a link to the kits...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ast-B02-ballast-HID-CANBUS-kit/342032071.html
you need these kind of ballast....

DO NOT GET ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE the below... THIS OR ANY OTHER CONFIG..IT WILL NOT WORK

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMI-...ersion-KIT-SET-SYSTEM-35W-FREE/725299619.html

I ORDERED THE 55W KIT AND LOVE IT,. FOGS ARE KICK ASS AS WELL AS ARE THE PROJECTORS... almost like 4p.m in the afternoon lol..

as for the hook up.... the clip is in the housing of the headlights that big clip you just put it back to the houseing.... as for the wires that come out of the housing (4) just make a small u shaped knotch and bolt the back piece back on ... notch it enough where the wires fit snug but not too tight. forget about making that big 1 7/8 hole people are talking about.. i really didnt butcher my housing., i will get pics up when i can.:smiley_thumbs_up: also this guy below has them ... simple plug and play no harness no switches no b.s ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9008-BI-XEN...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item416df80c8b

just contach him his name is john ..and tell him you need 2 kits ask him if he can do 200 for both.... tell him you need hir for the low beams and 9006 for the fogs... tell him you NEED CANBUS and you are from the forums.. mention my name demetri ... tell him you need the same set up... he will send you 4 ballasts and 4 bulbs.. 200 bucks you cant beat it... no flicker or anything.. got mine on for 2 months and love them.. no issues or problems.,.. period.. forget everyone trying to rape the 13 guys with relays and bs... with these you dont need anytihng!!!!! gtr lighting is asking for 230 for a set... look up gtr lighting and you see... this is the best you can get... or if you can get them any chepaer then go for it... but they must be CANBUS ballast only ....

#10 ·
It should work, assuming that you have the new 2013 headlights with the projector lamps? If you have the new headlights then the kits listed should work as you will have the HIR2 (9012) bulb for low beam and the 9011 and the 9006 for the fog lights. If you have the older style of headlights then these kits will not work, According the Sylvania's website the low beam in these headlights is a H11 bulb and the high beam is the 9005 and the fog lights are a 9006 I believe. I cannot confirm this information but im pretty sure its acurate, maybe someone with more experience on these trucks can correct me if im wrong. Easier way to make sure the kits will work if you have the new lights is to pop one of the headlight assembly's out and see if there is only 1 wire entering the housing, if there is only one wire entering the houseing then you have the new lights and the kits will work.

#15 ·
Been fishing thru the forums and saw your install pics:smileup: among other 13' install threads. So it finally convinced to pull the trigger on this diy and I ordered the TRS lowbeams/fogs setup.. Will post some install pics also once it gets completed ..thanks again for the pics

#18 ·
The benefit/advantage of the HID conversion is having a ton of more light. More light, brighter light, and it looks awesome. The disbursement is greater, the lumens are greater, the look is greater. Everything about this mod is greater. And it is very easy to install.

#22 ·
There are a lot of youtube videos about headlight removal and hid conversion. It is really a pretty easy mod.
I just finished installing 55W 5000K low and high beam hids from Retro Solutions. The only real headache is finding a good mounting area for the resistors, which do get pretty hot. They recommend mounting the resistors on metal for that reason. The right side has plenty of space to drill and mount the resistors. The left side is a problem because of the proximity or all of the plastic body parts and the fact that most of the factory wiring bundles are located in that location. What I ended up doing is to mount both (high and low) resistors for the left side on a metal stalk and suspended it below the fuse box just off of the inner fender. I did mount the stalk to plastic and I will be monitoring it to see if it gets too hot. Don't want to melt any plastic.
I am not sure where others have ended up mounting these resistors, but since most don't do highs as I did, (most seem to just do the low projectors and or fogs) they only have one resistor per side to worry about, not two per side as I did.
This fixes the weak light output that seem to plague these trucks. It is a tremendous difference, before and after.

#23 ·
I'm curios if you can replace the bulb in the factory projectors to make them any brighter, I know it won't be as bright as hiss but may be enough for people not wanting to go hid

#24 ·
One of the problems with creating brighter lights using filament type bulbs, like the I/R halogens in the 2013 rams is that increasing brightness with a filament means more heat. More heat means melt-city in the plastic housings the bulbs are mounted in. That is why HIDs are so popular because they create higher light output w/o creating more heat. In fact, I am told HIDs run cooler per watt of power used. I am curious why Ram did not use this type of lighting in these trucks. I am sold on HIDs.

#27 ·
I mounted my resistors, on exhaust straps, the universal type with the holes, that you can get from advance and such. bent an L into it, mounted them (2 per side) put them on the frame right behind the headlights. drilled 2 holes, and mounted them with self tapping sheet metal screws, grounded them there , then hit them with some paint over the sheet metal screws.

#37 ·
I'm getting ready to order HID's for my 2013 Sport. Not sure I will go back to retro soloutions. I had them on my 2010 & had a few problems with them. I went through two ballasts & two harnesses had the terminals melted eventually. Now to be fair the customer service was great & I drive 41k a year so they were on often. Anyway, not sure I'm willing to use the same kit so maybe these eBay ones will at least be just as good if not better. The price is at least better so if I get the same life I won't feel as bad. How are these holding up for you Nemmesis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.